Opinion Can Matt Rowell win the Rising Star award after playing half a season?

Can Rowell win the Rising Star & Brownlow in 2021?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
To be eligible for the Rising Star award in any given season, a player must be under 21 on January 1 of that year, and have played no more than 10 AFL games before that season.

Thought I'd ask one last (potentially) crazy question before we enter 2021. Matthew Rowell is currently 19 years old and is already a proven Brownlow medal vote getter with 9 votes in 5 AFL games. So, can he make history in 2021 by winning both the Rising Star award as well as the Brownlow medal?

IMO there aren't many Suns players that will steal votes from him next year. It's entirely possible he'll be best on for the club in 50% or more of the games he plays next year.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Baring injury he would have to be a pretty safe bet (For the rising star)

I think Phillips will do very well in 2021 as well and would usually be the favourite for the rising star but not against Rowell.

Last edited:
May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Hope he does the double, would be a better start to a career than Judd.

Absolute shame he did his shoulder last year, I reckon he'd have nearly taken out the Brownlow in his first season.

Hope he stays with the Suns for life, seems to genuinely enjoy it up there and I'm sick of gun players from expansion clubs being poached by Melbourne clubs.

Last edited:

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
I hope he does.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
He absolutely could, but whether he will or not will come down to whether he can meet the new levels of opposition attention he'll garner and the expectation of being a gamebreaker week in week out, as well as the next crop coming in and bashing the door down.

What happens if someone - JUH or Thilthorpe or McDonald - come in and kick 40+ goals in their first season, aka Hogan? What happens if someone from 2018 up who is yet to make their debut comes in and just flushes it as a midfielder/forward, like Stephenson did?

I can see him winning a brownlow more than I can see him winning both. The AFL wanting a good news story is strong, but it isn't that powerful.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Rising star - sure no problem if he plays enough games.
Brownlow? Nah - he'll get tons more attention if he's going that well. Plus its one thing to poll from a few games, a different thing to see if you can do it for a whole season. Don't get me wrong he's immensely impressive and who knows what he'll become but he's still only a second year player for now and I doubt he's ready for that sort of consistently elite performances for a whole year.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Coach of the year as well.
Gunning for Dew's job?

1609423828044.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes he could. More than likely won’t.
Same for me.

Brownlow? Nah - he'll get tons more attention if he's going that well. Plus its one thing to poll from a few games, a different thing to see if you can do it for a whole season.
And this. He averaged 1,8 votes, means 39,6 for a whole year. Very unlikely for a second year player coming of a serious unjury as well.

Btw. he got all his votes in wins. Not sure how many GC will win even when they are a better team with him.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hope he does the double, would be a better start to a career than Judd.

Absolute shame he did his shoulder last year, I reckon he'd have nearly taken out the Brownlow in his first season.

Hope he stays with the Suns for life, seems to genuinely enjoy it up there and I'm sick of gun players from expansion clubs being poached by Melbourne clubs.
So you will be sending Yeo back to Brissy then?

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
Unlikely, maybe a 5% or so chance of happening. If he remains uninjured most likely wins rising star and top 10 or 20 Brownlow.

Apr 3, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
So you will be sending Yeo back to Brissy then?

yeo allegedly would have stayed for 250k a year and Brisbane wouldn't offer more than 225k.

if true brisbane have no one but themselves to blame for losing him.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
yeo allegedly would have stayed for 250k a year and Brisbane wouldn't offer more than 225k.

if true brisbane have no one but themselves to blame for losing him.

Say's the West Australian and Gary Lyon, do you want me to believe that?

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
its why if you read my post i said 'allegedly', and 'if true'.

but i suppose details are easier if you just ignore them.
Whether it's true or not does it matter?
He was still poached by West Coast and if you read what i replied to, you will realise WC is not a "Melbourne" club.
But yeah, i noticed you just ignored that.;)

Back