Can Nathan Buckley keep his job beyond 2018

Will Buckley be sacked in 2018?

• Yes - End of Season (Collingwood Fan)

Votes: 16 3.8%
  • Yes - During Season (Collingwood Fan)

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • Yes - End of Season (Non Collingwood Fan)

Votes: 72 17.2%
  • Yes - During Season (Non Collingwood Fan)

Votes: 84 20.1%
  • No - Collingwood Fan

Votes: 72 17.2%
  • No - Non Collingwood Fan

Votes: 155 37.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
I cannot see any scenario where they could possibly keep him as coach beyond next season if they fail to make the finals.

Has had numerous years of worse than adequate results and if he was anyone else he'd have been sacked already.

He went back on his word of resigning if they missed the finals in 2017 as is typical of FIGJAM attitude.

Coach entering the season under the most pressure for mine.

Buckley will be gone mid year. Don’t see him as a bad coach though. Pies paying for very average recruiting. Buckley is an enforcer, do it my way as such. I watched him run vic Park laps in 96, absolute machine. Other methods r better these days.

Buckley will be gone mid year. Don’t see him as a bad coach though. Pies paying for very average recruiting. Buckley is an enforcer, do it my way as such. I watched him run vic Park laps in 96, absolute machine. Other methods r better these days.
There is very little chance he'll get sacked mid year.

FIGJAM was invented for Buckley in an era when it was Hird, Voss and Buckley. I agreed with the monikor.

Out of the three, i think Buckley has proven to be the most grounded and honestly modest of the three, second being Voss.

If the style of game-plan in the AFL swings in the direction of Collingwood he should be ok, otherwise.... he has no forward line.

I love Bucks but I hope it doesn't because Hawthorn have very few mid fielders, but many talented natural forwards - the opposite of the pies.

Fair enough. I think pies r a decent chance to make finals, however if either Pendlebury, Moore or Trealor goes down, its all over red rover.
Even if we're playing s**t I highly doubt Buckley will go mid season especially with Eddie around but I also think your overrating the losses of those players.

Moore is an above average key forward at best and went missing allot last year, he's fine for where he's developments at and he'll be missed if he's injured but it won't be the end of the world. We showed at the end of last year we could play without Pendlebury, plus I think he's just not as influential as before. Treloar I agree would be a big loss though we did match it with GWS without him and our midfield is our biggest area of depth so I still think we be fine without him.

I think Lynden Dunn, Jeremy Howe and Daniel Wells and Jamie Elliott would be bigger losses than any of those.

EDIT: Don't take this as me expecting Collingwood to make finals though becuase I'm not, I'm expecting more of the same, miss out on finals and Buckley to continue coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FIGJAM was invented for Buckley in an era when it was Hird, Voss and Buckley. I agreed with the monikor.

Out of the three, i think Buckley has proven to be the most grounded and honestly modest of the three, second being Voss.

If the style of game-plan in the AFL swings in the direction of Collingwood he should be ok, otherwise.... he has no forward line.

I love Bucks but I hope it doesn't because Hawthorn have very few mid fielders, but many talented natural forwards - the opposite of the pies.
Because of short term focussed moves not paying off in the timeframe they were expected to (2011-2013) (Tarrant, Krakouer, Jolly, Ball) and six or seven years of finishing top four in a row (exception 2008 where we finished a lowly sixth), along with some cruel luck (Rusling and Dick both had very promising careers cut short by injury, which I’m sure can be said of all clubs at times, but is still a relevant point here, I think Buckley didn’t have the chance to replenish talent through the draft like we would have liked at the start of his tenure.

I think we gambled early on the game moving towards a highly contested pressure model and at that point we undervalued precision kicking and the ability to pick apart a pressure game plan in that manner, instead relying on applying the most pressure at the expense of good footskills. Hawthorn, who went the other way, went on to win three flags with a speedy, efficient side while we steadily slipped out of contention.

We’ve now ended up with the squad we have by a combination of our squad design in 2009 and circumstantial fate. We’re a contested midfielder heavy side and it seems Buckley is moulding us away from slow, lumbering, bulky players - relying on at most, one at each end and apparently none in defence. It’ll be interesting as early signs are that the game plan holds up against most teams (we barely, if at all got blown out of the water by anyone last year) so if we continue to improve our hardiness and ability to grind out wins over the full four quarters I’m actually bullish about what Collingwood can achieve next year.

I cannot see any scenario where they could possibly keep him as coach beyond next season if they fail to make the finals.

Has had numerous years of worse than adequate results and if he was anyone else he'd have been sacked already.

He went back on his word of resigning if they missed the finals in 2017 as is typical of FIGJAM attitude.

Coach entering the season under the most pressure for mine.
This thread looks vaguely familiar.

Just cant put my finger on it though

That is a fair point. He is clearly more modest than Hird and Voss. More professional than both as well. None of them are cut out to coach. They just are not great managers of people. But unlike the other two I think Buckley sees his faults and is trying to improve on the run. I admire him for that. But at the end of the day I don't think it will be enough. He may eventually be ready but results may be the catalyst for his sacking. Having players unable to get on the track already this pre-season isn't a good start.

Last edited:
That is a fair point. He is clearly more modest than Hird and Voss. More professional than both as well. None of them are cut out to coach is all. They just are not great managers of people. But unlike the other two I think Buckley sees his faults and is trying to improve on the run. I admire him for that. But at the end of the day I don't think it will be enough. He may eventually be ready but results may be the catalyst for his sacking. Having players unable to get on the track already this pre-season isn't a good start.

You see the writing on the wall, and the mistakes of the past, and you make a lot of sense....................but i still want to believe in Bucks... not next year.... but if he can survive.

You see the writing on the wall, and the mistakes of the past, and you make a lot of sense....................but i still want to believe in Bucks... not next year.... but if he can survive.

If he can survive next year then I'd back him to succeed. Its a big 'if' though. He has gotten a reprieve already, and probably shouldn't of (not on results anyway). If he does have a bad year next year it will be very hard to justify him keeping his job.

Buckley will keep his job until both the Clarkson and Buckley contracts expire at the end of 2019. The pies will then pursue Clarkson.

Yeah we’ll force him into retirement. Clearly his fault.

doesn’t have to retire but gee is there another captain in the league who escapes criticism like Pendles does? just can’t bring the group along for the ride, yet to captain the side to finals, can’t blame only buckley. I mean only a few weeks ago he was talking about a quick bounce back to finals, he’s completely lost touch with reality and how long ago 2013 was. plays some pretty football but can he lead? mountain of evidence says not well

Back