Can Nathan Buckley keep his job beyond 2018

Will Buckley be sacked in 2018?

• Yes - End of Season (Collingwood Fan)

Votes: 16 3.8%
  • Yes - During Season (Collingwood Fan)

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • Yes - End of Season (Non Collingwood Fan)

Votes: 72 17.2%
  • Yes - During Season (Non Collingwood Fan)

Votes: 84 20.1%
  • No - Collingwood Fan

Votes: 72 17.2%
  • No - Non Collingwood Fan

Votes: 155 37.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Should see out his contract at least. What’s the point in giving a coach a two year extension if you sack him 12 months in? Collingwood clearly believe he is the right man for the job

I’d be surprised if Buckley resigned if the pies didn’t make the 8 this year.

Bux aint resigning, and Eddie aint flinching.

It is a perfect storm lol

Indeed mate. If someone posts that it feels to them “a little like Hardwick”, don’t be so defensive. There’s enough obvious correlations that might lead someone to feel that way, despite the differences.

I agree. Comparing an apple with an orange is an extremely worthwhile and fulfilling time waster

Identical, not sure how “feels a little like Hardwick” suddenly becomes they’re “identical”.

You were emphatic in response to that poster that they shared “nothing at all” in common with each other. For that to be wrong, there only need be one commonality. You can go right ahead and list a thousand differences, it doesn’t make a lick of difference.
Seems to be nit picking there. I reckon you would be able to find at least one thing in common with any coach regardless if it's Leigh Matthews, Alister Clarkson or Mark Neeld. Yet out of everyone it is Hardwick he's compared to for some reason. Though for most of the main things for them to be compared too, they don't have much in common.

The only things they have in common I can see, is that they both were interviewed for the Richmond job (Buckley pulled out because he went along with this hand over idea with Malthouse which Eddie came up with), they both had contract extensions going into the 2016 season and they were both under pressure with their jobs at the start of the 2017 season. Other than that there are only big differences between the two. As pointed out Buckley inherited a list that was the youngest side to win the premiership two years earlier and made the GF the previous season. While Hardwick took over a list that was described as 'worse than Fitzroy'. Collingwood made finals in the first year or two but has gone backwards every year. While Richmond missed the finals on the first few years and made the finals every year except for the one year in 2016 and won the premiership in 2017. They started their coaching careers completely different and their journey of their coaching careers are very different.

I think the Hardwick/Buckley comparison is just a way for Eddie to justify Buckley's contract extension. It's pretty much a case of "oooh look at what Richmond did winning a premiership after finishing 13th. Buckley can do it too.". Ignoring that Richmond made the finals 3 years in a row before the 2016 season and Collingwood has missed finals 4 years in a row.

Seems to be nit picking there. I reckon you would be able to find at least one thing in common with any coach regardless ...

Find me another coach of a big Melbourne club who’s position was recently under genuine threat after 6-7 years at the helm and subject to a very public and major review of the entire football department after finishing 13th on the ladder, with a sub-par finals record over their tenure, but came out with job entact.

I’d say there’s only two. Buckley and Hardwick. But feel welcome to point me to any I might have missed.

I find it hard to begrudge another poster saying this situation feels to them a little like Hardwick.

If Cox keeps getting a game......

...........anything is possible.

Definitely needs the opportunity to show what hes worth. Will definitely be a liability at times but can be a weapon too. Jury definitely out but after his late season 2017 I wouldn't write him off. Might actually ruck a lot too, freeing Grundy up to be more offensive.

As pointed out Buckley inherited a list that was the youngest side to win the premiership two years earlier and made the GF the previous season.

And he made the prelim with that team , as pointed out.

As pointed out the youth on that list at the time proved to be not as good as first thought. Or not in sufficient numbers, anyway.

Find me another coach of a big Melbourne club who’s position was recently under genuine threat after 6-7 years at the helm and subject to a very public and major review of the entire football department after finishing 13th on the ladder, with a sub-par finals record over their tenure, but came out with job entact.

I’d say there’s only two. Buckley and Hardwick. But feel welcome to point me to any I might have missed.
To even find similarities in the statement you made in the first paragraph there had to be wide sweeping generalisations.

Even though both coaches are/were under pressure they both were under different stages of their contract when they were under pressure. At the end of 2016 Hardwick was under a lot of criticism, but with two more years yet to run on his contract, sacking him was not a realistic option. As a result the whole football department went under review. Buckley's contract on the other hand was up and Eddie decided to extend his contract and review the football department around him. Hardwick finished 13th in 2016 after playing finals the three years prior. Buckley finished 13th in 2017 after finishing 12th, 12th, 11th the years prior. On Hardwicks 2016 it is looking like an aberration than anything because the side has at least shown they can make the finals recently. On Buckleys 2017 it only reinforced the pattern of the team sliding backwards.

Their finals record were also different because a) Buckleys finals record happened early in his coaching career while Hardwicks happened in the later part and b) Buckley actually won a final to make the prelim final while despite making 3 final series Hardwick didn't win one. Sure their finals record is sub-par (at the time), but they were sub-par for different reasons.

To even find similarities in the statement you made in the first paragraph there had to be wide sweeping generalisations.

The poster said it “feels a little like Hardwick”. Not really a detail oriented statement. A Tiger poster responded that they had nothing in common at all, which for all their differences, just isn’t true. If you wanna argue that water isn’t wet, go for it, I’ll leave you to it.

The poster said it “feels a little like Hardwick”. Not really a detail oriented statement. A Tiger poster responded that they had nothing in common at all, which for all their differences, just isn’t true. If you wanna argue that water isn’t wet, go for it, I’ll leave you to it.

very true,

I mean they are both male and both AFL coaches, so using that logic clearly there are similarities lol

I’d happily take 2-4 when our next eight games contain seven against bottom ten teams in 2017.
Happily? OK.

I’ve penciled in losses against Adelaide and Richmond, but at worst, we’re reasonable chances against Hawthorn, GWS, Carlton and Essendon.
How many of your first six games do you expect to start as favourites?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel that the Pies gave Bucks a two year deal firstly because there wasnt any better alternatives and secondly it seems the playing group are backing him.

Two years gives him 2018 to focus on the job without getting hounded by the media, the pressure obviously is building though.

If the Pies flounder and dont at least show resolve and improvement I can see Bucks being let go with a early payout. Eddie will fall on his sword and move on as well.

I confess I've overrated Collingwood for a few years now on the basis I assumed their recruiting had been good based on Hine's past record I thought he was a real gun but their list seems a little ordinary now.
They've had some shocking runs with injury but if they can keep Wells out there more often and they can get decent footy out of the likes of
Scharenberg, Aish, Broomhead, Stephenson maybe Daicos they could still surprise this year. Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Treloar, Moore, Grundy, Elliot, Reid and a few others are handy.
Buckley is a bit like Lyon in that he seems to be very stubborn and persist far longer with players and strategies that aren't working out of sheer bloody mindedness that he thinks they should work. He's such a driven, high quality, high integrity, strong work ethic individual its hard to see him not having some success eventually but maybe I'm just talking myself into predicting they do well this year something they've singularly failed to do every other time I've predicted it.

Can’t see Bucks keeping his spot, and the fallout will likely see the end of McGuire around the same time. Only question is when, but my prediction is round 20 this year.

Come on Adam - your starting to become obsessed with Tiger envy. Matt Richardson can aspire to being a one club player - which is something Nathan cannot. Your posts are becoming desperate and shrill. Where has your sense of humour gone - didn't you enjoy Richo handing the cup to Dimma and Trent?
anotheronelol.JPG

Sure. Or the other half dozen similarities, but if that’s the one that makes the penny drop for you ...

yep they also have 2 hands 2 feet and 2 eyes each, so yes there are similarities lol

But as coaches no comparison.

One built a team, one destroyed a team.
One had 1 down year in 8, the other had no improvement in 7 years, and infact has taken his team backwards every year for 7 years.
One had players rush out the door to leave, the other has retained everyone he wanted.
One has played in 2 premierships at 2 different clubs, the other has played with 40 premiership players at 2 clubs, but himself never a premiership. Dimma gets a premiership wherever he goes, Buckley is the world record holder for games played/coached without a premiership, over 500 games in total.

You could say infact, they are complete opposites as far as their career trajectory, and the way they have built their teams, but, those that lack the capacity to critically appraise the reality will use the bigfooty groupthink model of "yea, they are the same"

Basically you are believing Eddies spin to buy himself more time, the reality is it is FAKE NEWS, and I still cannot believe that people fall for it every time lol

Keep the laughs coming brother :thumbsu:

Back