Can Richmond go back to back? # Did overconfidence cost them against Collingwood #

Did overconfidence cost Richmond the win against Collingwood?

• yes

Votes: 75 61.5%
  • no

Votes: 47 38.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching the 2 JLT games i have no doubt Richmond will go back to back,they seemed to me in 2nd gear and toying with the opposition,I also see improvement and pressure from the whole squad for playing positions,It's scary stuff.

- Essendon had gastro and key players missing
- Kangas are a rebuilding young team that will likely finish bottom 4

Hardly would say the the Tigers were toying with the oposistion they will get much stiffer competion during the season.

Hardly would say the the Tigers were toying with them they will get much stiffer competion during the season.

We were pretty sloppy in both games, especially against North. Nowhere near our best

Hardly would say the the Tigers were toying with the oposistion they will get much stiffer competion during the season.

Very true regarding the dons and roos but Richmond to me looked great.

Richmond are the team to beat in 2018. The way they have been playing thus far is ruthless and relenting. Yes it’s the pre season but I refuse to take less out of a teams effort. The application is first class. They are looking a team represented by cohesion, determination and excellent footballing abilities.

I’ll struggle to overlook them for a flag this year if things continue to follow the current trajectory.

They've got talent clearly and I personally didn't get all the talk of worst premier after they won last year. Was their list less talented on paper than other premiers have been? Maybe, but they also had guns on each line and all gelled really well together. They were all willing to do the team things and then the individual brilliance of Martin, Rance and Riewoldt with his unselfishness allowed the team to really flourish. They didn't have many convinced until they actually won, but you can't deny that they played exceptionally well the entire finals. Deserving premiers.

Going back to back is really tough though. Collingwood in 2010 came out with their forward press and won a flag. They looked set to win again the next year but by September Hawthorn almost had their game style figured out and Geelong did figure it out. I think it will all come down to whether or not teams find an answer for their manic forward pressure and find a way to expose the deficiencies of some of their weaker players (particularly the small forwards).

Collingwood destroyed Geelong in the 2010 finals and then the Cats came back in 2011 and figured them out. Adelaide and GWS would be aiming to do something similar, Richmond had both of them figured out last season when it mattered.

Things change really quickly in footy. Collingwood went from premier to unravelling really quickly. They still had guns but their weaker players were exposed and the club soon couldn't win games like they could in 2010 and 2011. That would be the worry with Richmond.

I think they can go back to back but I also think there's a chance we see someone like GWS step up to the plate with a counter to Richmond's game style.

86 and 70 point wins

Would say that’s pretty close to playing your best

That’s more of a concern for the teams we played. We were not that great last night. We are playing well, but not at our best

They've got talent clearly and I personally didn't get all the talk of worst premier after they won last year. Was their list less talented on paper than other premiers have been? Maybe, but they also had guns on each line and all gelled really well together. They were all willing to do the team things and then the individual brilliance of Martin, Rance and Riewoldt with his unselfishness allowed the team to really flourish. They didn't have many convinced until they actually won, but you can't deny that they played exceptionally well the entire finals. Deserving premiers.

Going back to back is really tough though. Collingwood in 2010 came out with their forward press and won a flag. They looked set to win again the next year but by September Hawthorn almost had their game style figured out and Geelong did figure it out. I think it will all come down to whether or not teams find an answer for their manic forward pressure and find a way to expose the deficiencies of some of their weaker players (particularly the small forwards).

Collingwood destroyed Geelong in the 2010 finals and then the Cats came back in 2011 and figured them out. Adelaide and GWS would be aiming to do something similar, Richmond had both of them figured out last season when it mattered.

I think they can go back to back but I also think there's a chance we see someone like GWS step up to the plate with a counter to Richmond's game style.

GWS were all over us 1st half of PF. We were just hanging on. But we worked them out 2nd half and our 2nd halves are our 1 wood. Sides need to put us away 1st half when we’re warming up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS were all over us 1st half of PF. We were just hanging on. But we worked them out 2nd half and our 2nd halves are our 1 wood. Sides need to put us away 1st half when we’re warming up
But you managed to keep them close which tells me that the Tigers knew how to beat the Giants. Then you put them to the sword when it mattered.

But you managed to keep them close which tells me that the Tigers knew how to beat the Giants. Then you put them to the sword when it mattered.

Yeah our defense was ok enough to keep us in it. Made it count when we had opportunities. GWS stay injury free watch out

I noticed that in both JLT games

We wear teams down the crack them 2nd half. A good 4 qtr team will be a challenge which is why I reckon GWS will be cherry ripe if things go their way

Things change really quickly in footy. Collingwood went from premier to unravelling really quickly. They still had guns but their weaker players were exposed and the club soon couldn't win games like they could in 2010 and 2011. That would be the worry with Richmond.

GWS will have to do a lot in order to improve this year. I reckon they went backwards big time last year. Yes made a PF but still wasn’t convinced on their approach from a list that good.

GWS will have to do a lot in order to improve this year. I reckon they went backwards big time last year. Yes made a PF but still wasn’t convinced on their approach from a list that good.
They definitely went backwards, but they also had a different looking team pretty much every week. Hard to improve on the year before when you're constantly dealing with ins and outs.

Last edited:
The PF effort and the QF was poor. Very poor.

Got done by two very good sides away from home. They’re still young, two PFs in a row. Trending the right way. Had a lot of injuries last year - I don’t think it was due to any softness

What GWS needs more then anything is a shift in attitude/focus, judging on pure ability they’re the best team in the competition quite easily IMO, but for the majority they play as a group of individuals rather then as a team, until then they’ll continue to get beaten by teams that just want it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back