Can Richmond still be a contender this season?

Where will Richmond finish at the end of the H&A season?

• 1-4

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • 5-8

Votes: 60 45.8%
  • Miss Finals

Votes: 45 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Listening to Dimma today in the presser and the way he was talking there is something brewing I reckon that we're going to unleash after the bye that is going to change the way we play. Just the way he was saying that we know that the issue is regarding getting beaten in contested footy and are training to rectify it. It's kind of like back in 2017 when we got to this point of the season and people were wondering if we were just making up the numbers or a legit contender. Then we unleashed the high pressure bang it forward at all costs Jack and the short people forward set up and off we went.

I reckon we've seen snippets of what we are wanting to do against Fremantle & Hawthorn a few weeks back. Since then wet weather poor form and shuffling the side around to cover injuries has not allowed us to get it going again. If we can get it going again this week or post the bye then it could be one hell of a ride for the second half of the season.

Look we are ****ed with these injuries so I have low expectations.

My only hope is this is the ultimate troll to get players back, sneak into the 8 and unleash 4 weeks of demolition. I would find that very satisfying TBH. Considering just how ****ed our injuries have been we have performed extremely well all considered.

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
i didnt cry over the '17 flag, but if this year, rance wins his 2nd premiership medal, i will shed a tear

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
we haven't crossed this bridge yet have we ?

Oshita-Bridge.jpg

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
Realisticly i think we would be better off finishing 9-12th, getting another 10 games into Balta, Baker, Garth, Bolton, Stack ect then getting a top 10 pick who is ready to go and bounce back next year.
I dont see any point finishing 8-5th

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Realisticly i think we would be better off finishing 9-12th, getting another 10 games into Balta, Baker, Garth, Bolton, Stack ect then getting a top 10 pick who is ready to go and bounce back next year.

Those kids will get another 10+ games into them regardless, and if we play finals I'd bet nearly all of them will be in the side regardless of injuries. Think it would be a huge effort and boost if we came through all this BS and played finals. I'd be so proud of the club/team/coaches/players.

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
But anything can happen in finals
Those kids will get another 10+ games into them regardless, and if we play finals I'd bet nearly all of them will be in the side regardless of injuries. Think it would be a huge effort and boost if we came through all this BS and played finals. I'd be so proud of the club/team/coaches/players.
True.

we can definitely still be a contender this season.

Assuming we lose tonight it doesn't have massive implications on the back of some other results going our way last week.

But we must win our first 2 games after the bye (Saints and GCS) to be any chance of making finals.

drop either of those and we are done I think.

Let's say we do win both, we head into Round 17 vs GWS in our first of 7 games at the MCG with the following players hopefully all back into the side by then:

Cotchin, Edwards, Nankervis, Riewoldt, Short, Ross, Lambert, Astbury.

Some pretty handy additions that completley changes the look of our team.

the only question would be if they can get it to all click again.

But if we do and we start to hit form in the last few games of the season then I think a lot of teams in the 8 would be petrified.

Tiges1229

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 26, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

Assuming we lose tonight it doesn't have massive implications on the back of some other results going our way last week.

But we must win our first 2 games after the bye (Saints and GCS) to be any chance of making finals.

Let's say we do win both, we head into Round 17 vs GWS in our first of 7 games at the MCG with the following players hopefully all back into the side by then:

But if we do and we start to hit form in the last few games of the season then I think a lot of teams in the 8 would be petrified.

I actually think if we do happen to get beat tonight we need to keep it to around 2-3 goals, another big blow out will really hurt the rest of the season , especially % wise.

I actually think if we do happen to get beat tonight we need to keep it to around 2-3 goals, another big blow out will really hurt the rest of the season , especially % wise.

I don't think we will be aiming to rely on % too much to make the finals, i think we will be aiming to just make it on points alone.

Granted a smaller loss and a better % is obviously a great outcome, but I don't think our long term plan is to bank on having a good % :)

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!

That would be my only concern as well...the nice sound of harmonious clicking!

Tiges1229

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 26, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't think we will be aiming to rely on % too much to make the finals, i think we will be aiming to just make it on points alone.

Granted a smaller loss and a better % is obviously a great outcome, but I don't think our long term plan is to bank on having a good % :)

oh 100% agree about getting in on games etc, but better to have a better % just in the back pocket if we do happen to drop some games and have other teams around the same points as us etc.

oh 100% agree about getting in on games etc, but better to have a better % just in the back pocket if we do happen to drop some games and have other teams around the same points as us etc.
yeah most definitely!

Would be nice if we could somehow get it into the low 100's at a minimum.

its a free hit tonight I don't expect us to win with all our outs , but like you said in other post we need to beat saints and suns after the bye.

In a warped way I'm looking forward to watching tonights game with zero expectation and it's another game into some kids!

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I’d rather make finals. While I don’t think winning the GF from outside the 4 is realistic, it’ll give some of the kids who’ve given so much this year a bit of finals experience which is both reward for effort and helps us in the long run. There’s sfa difference between pick 9 and pick 13

Fridge34

Debutant
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I’d rather make finals. While I don’t think winning the GF from outside the 4 is realistic, it’ll give some of the kids who’ve given so much this year a bit of finals experience which is both reward for effort and helps us in the long run. There’s sfa difference between pick 9 and pick 13

on top of that, making finals would mean we'd be maintaining winning habits, something that can't be underestimated. best teams in sports have this mindset of being able to win regardless of the circumstances (e.g. spurs in the nba).

our injury situation notwithstanding, not making finals would potentially be a step away from the winning culture we've built up over the past 2 years.

CholEstrol

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
5th or 6th looking like the target now. Good chance of holding onto 8th if the favoured teams win next week.
GWS MCG, Collingwood MCG, Eagles MCG in the run home will tell the story, assuming we get the points in pretty much all of the other games.

Back