Can Richmond still be a contender this season?

Where will Richmond finish at the end of the H&A season?

• 1-4

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • 5-8

Votes: 60 45.8%
  • Miss Finals

Votes: 45 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with the current Richmond side is we’re too bloody small and our talls are slooooooowwww. Nankervis is a massive out as he’s a giant beast midfielder and with Rance they’re both irreplaceable. Ross was on fire when first in , but being young and out injured for so long it may take awhile for him to get into the groove. Also I wouldn’t be risking him as he’s a long term prospect.
Short will give us some dash off the HBL , but again he’s another midget and not that hard ball winner we need.
Cotchin has been up and down all year with injury interruptions and really hasn’t been the Cotchin we know he his. Astbury will be handy at least bc a big body will go down back , but is still slow and can get slaughtered by teams that have mobile power forwards.
We need Jack back ASAP as at least he’s going to add size aggression mobility and another marking target to our poorly functioning FL.
In saying all this unless we can add some size to our midfield which I’m still dubious, then we may struggle to win those 50-50 games.
Our other sad fact for the year is the poor form our second tier players are in. We need more from Butler Ellis Menadue Broad Castagna and Rioli as they’ve been outshone by the younger lads . Unfortunately these young chaps started to show fatigue before the bye as they couldn’t carry all these passengers. I’m in the the belief due to our poor midfielders bc of their lack of size we may still struggle as we saw at the end of last year. There’s no hiding from the fact teams had worked this out and exploited this by then just running the ball into their FL with consummate ease. They now know Rance won’t be there , so their forwards dine on this.
I’m more interested in what outs the club choose to go with when the injured
boys come back in bc the balance will need to be right. I still think we’re a Shiel’s type player short and our midfield even with a rusty Cotchin back won’t trouble the better sides.
We still should make the eight , but that says more about how poor the rest of the competition is. Once Rance went down getting prepared for 2020 was my only interest. Games into Ross Balta Naish and Stack are a priority and if we can get to finals and jag a finals win then it will be a bonus for their experience.

For what it is worth i was speaking with Chris Naish at the Ivanhoe Tab on Saturday and was asking him about Patrick firstly, and what the club's aspirations were for September. He said Patrick would be touch and go to keep his spot this week with a few expected to return.

In terms of September they are aiming ti finish 5 or 6 to get a home final.

He went to Adelaide last game and said lads were filthy lost game. Should have won.

For what it is worth i was speaking with Chris Naish at the Ivanhoe Tab on Saturday and was asking him about Patrick firstly, and what the club's aspirations were for September. He said Patrick would be touch and go to keep his spot this week with a few expected to return.

In terms of September they are aiming ti finish 5 or 6 to get a home final.

He went to Adelaide last game and said lads were filthy lost game. Should have won.
Bloody oath i agree! It was there for the taking!
Just Team selections cost us imo...

Druggos just done us a huge favour there. 4th ours if we knock off GWS and one of WC or Pies. Then the handbaggers in a home final. Delicious
Absolutely. Adelaide lose to Geelong GWS lose to the Bombers. GWS now have Brisbane Collingwood and Richmond to contend with over the next three weeks. They could conceivably lose two of those and the Tigs could beat Saints Suns port and GWS to take the 4th spot.

Obviously a lot has to go right but the way I see it is the boys will be pretty pepped up to get their winning ways back now tha a plethora of players are coming back and we have adequate replacements should more injuries occur.

In recent years the obvious choice for the flag has not won it so as far as I'm concerned I'm happy to see all those shmucks write us off. We only have to win three in a row and they will jump on board anyway.

If our boys can get the connection going over the next 6 weeks then look out competition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have just done a ladder predictor that sees Richmond finishing 6th after losing to Pies and Eagles. If my predictions were on the mark we are 2 games and percentage away from top 4, so I think that is almost out of the question. On my ladder 6th gets us an MCG final v the Lions in week 1, and something along those lines is about the best we can realistically hope for I think. After that it gets a lot tougher, I have us facing GWS in Sydney, Cats in the prelim and Eagles or Pies in the GF. By the time you get down to the final 6 teams I think every match is likely to be tough no matter who you are.

Interesting I have my 9th and 10th teams, Port and North on 10 wins each, so there are ways a team can scrape in with just 11 wins and 12 wins looks good for at least 8th spot regardless of percentage.

Naturally there will be upsets along the way, but providing we beat GCS, Port(MCG,) Carlton and Melbourne from here we should make finals. Beat Lions(MCG) as well we start to come into calculations for a home final week one. If we won all those matches in which we would be expected to start favourite, and beat one of Pies, Eagles, GWS(all MCG) then the home final week 1 should happen. We would need to win two of those tougher matches to bring us anywhere near top 4. In the unlikely event we win all 8 remaining matches I think top 4 is more likely than not, but still not certain.

For the record I have it:

Cats 80
Eagles 72
GWS 64
Pies 64
Crows 56
Tigers 56
Lions 52
Bombers 52
Port 40
North 40
Swans 36
Bulldogs 36
Saints 32
Freo 28
Hawks 28
Blues 24
Demons 20
GCS 12

Some of that seems pretty unlikely to me, for eg Freo losing every game, and Dees winning only one of eight remaining. Obviously I am swayed largely by current form, which will no doubt fluctuate as the season wears on. I am fairly confident 12 wins would get us into the finals though.

I have just done a ladder predictor that sees Richmond finishing 6th after losing to Pies and Eagles. If my predictions were on the mark we are 2 games and percentage away from top 4, so I think that is almost out of the question. On my ladder 6th gets us an MCG final v the Lions in week 1, and something along those lines is about the best we can realistically hope for I think. After that it gets a lot tougher, I have us facing GWS in Sydney, Cats in the prelim and Eagles or Pies in the GF. By the time you get down to the final 6 teams I think every match is likely to be tough no matter who you are.

Interesting I have my 9th and 10th teams, Port and North on 10 wins each, so there are ways a team can scrape in with just 11 wins and 12 wins looks good for at least 8th spot regardless of percentage.

Naturally there will be upsets along the way, but providing we beat GCS, Port(MCG,) Carlton and Melbourne from here we should make finals. Beat Lions(MCG) as well we start to come into calculations for a home final week one. If we won all those matches in which we would be expected to start favourite, and beat one of Pies, Eagles, GWS(all MCG) then the home final week 1 should happen. We would need to win two of those tougher matches to bring us anywhere near top 4. In the unlikely event we win all 8 remaining matches I think top 4 is more likely than not, but still not certain.

Cats 80
Eagles 72
GWS 64
Pies 64
Crows 56
Tigers 56
Lions 52
Bombers 52
Port 40
North 40
Swans 36
Bulldogs 36
Saints 32
Freo 28
Hawks 28
Blues 24
Demons 20
GCS 12

Some of that seems pretty unlikely to me, for eg Freo losing every game, and Dees winning only one of eight remaining. Obviously I am swayed largely by current form, which will no doubt fluctuate as the season wears on. I am fairly confident 12 wins would get us into the finals though.
we’ll finish 4th

If we focus on our own games and do what we need to do, I believe that the rest will work out in terms of a top 4 spot. Winning a lot of games in a row (especially in the second half of the season) is not new to Richmond and it is not a challenge that we shy away all that much from. Our records heading into the finals were:

2013: 7 wins out of the last 10 games
2014: 9 wins out of the last 9 games
2015: 9 wins out of the last 11 games
2017: 8 wins out of the last 10 games
2018: 8 wins out of the last 10 games

2016 was the only season where we had a negative record towards the end of the season, and record was 3 wins out of the last 10 games.

Going by this, we’re pretty reliable towards the end of the season, so I am expecting a finish of anywhere between 3rd and 6th

If we get Jack , Nank and Ross back fully fit we’re a slight chance. However we still have a massive issue with our small forwards as the ball isn’t being retained in our 50m arc long enough and opposition defenders are clearing it out too easily.
Players that aren’t best 22 are still getting a game , such as Ellis, Castagna, Broad and we’re carrying a slow out of touch Rioli.
We will make finals , but with the current set up we’re still a long way off. FD needs to make the tough calls like 2017 if they’re serious about making a successful finals campaign.

If we get Jack , Nank and Ross back fully fit we’re a slight chance. However we still have a massive issue with our small forwards as the ball isn’t being retained in our 50m arc long enough and opposition defenders are clearing it out too easily.
Players that aren’t best 22 are still getting a game , such as Ellis, Castagna, Broad and we’re carrying a slow out of touch Rioli.
We will make finals , but with the current set up we’re still a long way off. FD needs to make the tough calls like 2017 if they’re serious about making a successful finals campaign.

I’d like Garth and Baker to replace Broad and Ellis at some point. Don’t mind Costagna in the team. Has been pretty good and he’s our best pressure player

I’d like Garth and Baker to replace Broad and Ellis at some point. Don’t mind Costagna in the team. Has been pretty good and he’s our best pressure player
I think we can’t carry a team with both Dave and Garth as it makes us too slow in defence.
With George he’s still not doing enough plus he lacks the ability to roll in the midfield. I would prefer Higgins now that we have some senior blokes back.
Baker should come back in as he gives us both options and he can actually win his own ball rather than chasing tails all day.

Chucked a fiver on us for the flag at $18 before the weekend.

After yesterday’s game it’s a resounding yes for me pending injuries. The thing I was looking for most was our ability to run over a team in the second half, particularly the last quarter.

We did that convincingly (just giving the saints a bit of a head start).

The scene is set for us to build momentum and challenge for top four and the flag. Going to be a fun run to finals!

Cats 80
Eagles 72
GWS 64
Pies 64
Crows 56
Tigers 56
Lions 52
Bombers 52
Port 40
North 40
Swans 36
Bulldogs 36
Saints 32
Freo 28
Hawks 28
Blues 24
Demons 20
GCS 12

If we get the Lions at the G it will be a baptism of fire for them.

Back