Autopsy Can Richmond win the flag from outside the top 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

At least its in their hands. Just need to keep winning to make the 8 since St Kilda have a trip to Geelong this week

Lacked polish and class for most of the year.

If dusty decides he’s motivated then they could do some damage. But as of right now they would struggle to beat a Geelong or Melbourne.

You can’t beat us after how you won the H&A game. Finals pressure makes our system better and makes yours worse.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Your system ceased to be as effective when the stand rule came in. Those days are gone.

Their midfield is old and one dimensional. Only Bolton gives them some much needed creativity.
Still have an excellent backline but Richmond's time has come and gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their midfield is old and one dimensional. Only Bolton gives them some much needed creativity.
Still have an excellent backline but Richmond's time has come and gone.
The youth of Geelong.

You can’t beat us after how you won the H&A game. Finals pressure makes our system better and makes yours worse.

but if Geelong won the H&A game wouldn't that signify that they CAN beat Richmond? Your logic is a little unpolished

but if Geelong won the H&A game wouldn't that signify that they CAN beat Richmond? Your logic is a little unpolished

No you usually smash us by more. Our game gets better in finals yours is the opposite (we’ve seen this for half a decade now) because you try and control the ball. This will overcome a 3 point gap especially with Vlastuin getting knocked out.

No you usually smash us by more. Our game gets better in finals yours is the opposite (we’ve seen this for half a decade now) because you try and control the ball. This will overcome a 3 point gap especially with Vlastuin getting knocked out.

The Cats are tracking nicely but they have most recent seasons around this time of year, certainly last year. They are clearly playing a better brand of footy than previous seasons(for which Scott should be congratulated, then shot.). All their key players are healthy and available. And I think their “games together as a team” rating might be a bit higher this year than other years with Cameron, Smith, Atkins, Close, Zac Guthrie, Holmes look a bit more settled in the team in their roles, and new additions Stengle and De Koning are playing at the extremities of the ground where there are less moving parts so it is a bit easier to fuse with your team-mates. So there are reasons they can do better in finals this season.

Their test will come on the wide expanses of the MCG if they bump into a hungry younger team who can run, it is whether the Cats can go with them over 4 quarters. Their 4th terms have been their strongest this season but their second halves and first halves overall are roughly similar.

This season is one where I suspect the Cats are actually in contention, but as you say, if they bump into Richmond with Prestia and Martin inserted, and Balta’s role sorted out and Cumberland creating problems, we may trouble them. Our weakness, our midfield, is not one they can exploit as well as other teams. It would be lovely to think we can do god’s work and knock them out in a Preliminary Final, even if we can’t match it with a team like the Demons in the Grand Final. But we have a few games to win first….if we win our last 3 we should make it, regardless of what Geelong do this week. And if we are not good enough to win our last 3 games then it is unlikely we’d have been strong in the finals.

Stranger things have happened like the Dogs winning it from outside the top 4. With the advent of the pre finals bye, Richmond winning a flag from outside the top 4 is possible especially with home ground advantage. It’s a possibility this year if they regain Dusty.

Dogs were well entrenched in the top 8 like all of 2016. If I recall weren't they top 4 much of the year? Was a very strong year and they finished 15 wins, which would probably mean top 4 this season. Tigers are out of the 8 with 3 rounds to go. To win a premiership from this position would be unprecedented, I'd say it'd be far more remarkable than what the Dogs did, which was already remarkable. Would need a finals series for the ages like the Dogs too.

Given the relative weakness of most of the top 8 and the Tigers experience if any team can do it it would be them.

Even if they make it, I don't see how they get higher than 7th at best (unless everyone above them falls over).

Just looking at the ladder, they'll either be playing one of Collingwood, or Sydney/Brisbane/Fremantle interstate in their elimination final. Hard to see them getting past any of those.
Oh I'd put them as favourites against Collingwood in a final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back