Autopsy Can Richmond win the flag from outside the top 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah mate, I don't get ahead of myself and imply players in our current best are all future champions. I think like we saw from Gregson, Horlin-Smith, Parsons, Thurlow, it can turn sour very quickly.

We have a few similar types in the current squad.

You have been here for just over a year, unless it's a new account, and you have been around here for a decade, not sure this is correct.
My point being you effectively saw the side of the next five years minus Hawkins, Duncan, Tuohy, Smith, Dalhaus and Stanley. Our midfield and defence were carried by our youth, our backline is trying to figure out how to fit all the talent in and our forward line will miss Tom but with Cameron, Close and Stengle we will be fine.

We're fine.

My point being you effectively saw the side of the next five years minus Hawkins, Duncan, Tuohy, Smith, Dalhaus and Stanley. Our midfield and defence were carried by our youth, a backline is trying to figure out how to fit all the talent in and our forward line will miss Tom but with Cameron, Close and Stengle we will be fine.

We're fine.

Blicavs, Stanley, Rohan, Selwood, Hawkins, Guthrie, Menegola, Tuohy, Dangerfield, Duncan, Smith are all 30+ years of age. They are all in our best 22.
I can see Guthrie and maybe Blicavs playing on at 35 but not the others.

I have never seen a team full of older players who are still playing at a supreme level like we are. I suspect Guthrie, Stewart, Hawkins, Cameron, Stengle and possibly Blicavs will make the 40 AA team this year. All but one are new kids on the block.

Blicavs, Stanley, Rohan, Selwood, Hawkins, Guthrie, Menegola, Tuohy, Dangerfield, Duncan, Smith are all 30+ years of age. They are all in our best 22.
I can see Guthrie and maybe Blicavs playing on at 35 but not the others.

I have never seen a team full of older players who are still playing at a supreme level like we are. I suspect Guthrie, Stewart, Hawkins, Cameron, Stengle and possibly Blicavs will make the 40 AA team this year. All but one are new kids on the block.
Blicavs, Rohan, Selwood, Dangerfield didn't play last night - I did forget about Menegola, but I see no signs of Guthrie slowing down. He looks like he has five years at least.

Geelong are setting some new expectations for older bodies. Good player management and fitness programs are busting myths about over 30's.

We will have more come in - we aren't dropping out of contention any time soon.

Blicavs, Rohan, Selwood, Dangerfield didn't play last night - I did forget about Menegola, but I see no signs of Guthrie slowing down. He looks like he has five years at least.

Geelong are setting some new expectations for older bodies. Good player management and fitness programs are busting myths about over 30's.

We will have more come in - we aren't dropping out of contention any time soon.

Why are you referring to one game played last night against a team who have won 3 matches over the past two months?
Do you rate St Kilda or something?

The post you originally quoted was about 2023 and beyond. Both Richmond and Geelong are going to be in a world of hurt. The age demographic for Geelong is alarming. As I stated above, our best 22 is mostly comprised of blokes who are about to announce their retirement.
No. We will not be anywhere near contention next year.

Why are you referring to one game played last night against a team who have won 3 matches over the past two months?

The post you originally quoted was about 2023 and beyond. Both Richmond and Geelong are going to be in a world of hurt. The age demographic for Geelong is alarming. As I stated above, our best 22 is mostly comprised of blokes who are about to announce their retirement.

None of those older players are structurally important besides hawkins and ironically stanley. The rest are well performing role players (and in some cases minimal contributors near the end) who are useful but reasonably easily replaced from within. This is why we have been able to be top 2 thie year despite having senior older guys out injured a lot as our most critical players are not them anymore. So long as cameron can play at his current level for a few more years once hawkins retires (as key forwards of quality are hard to find and the one thing i worry about replacing) and we can keep filling other gaps through draft and free agency (which we have been doing) we will be fine. Im not expecting to win a flag every year but we will keep making finals for a while.

None of those older players are structurally important besides hawkins and ironically stanley. The rest are well performing role players (and in some cases minimal contributors near the end) who are useful but reasonably easily replaced from within. This is why we have been able to be top 2 thie year despite having senior older guys out injured a lot as our most critical players are not them anymore. So long as cameron can play at his current level for a few more years once hawkins retires (as key forwards of quality are hard to find and the one thing i worry about replacing) and we can keep filling other gaps through draft and free agency (which we have been doing) we will be fine. Im not expecting to win a flag every year but we will keep making finals for a while.

No mate, we are a year younger than we were when we made the grand final despite bringing Smith in and we are less dependent on 30+ players than we have been in the past but we are in for a world of hurt. CC said it so it has to be true.

My point being you effectively saw the side of the next five years minus Hawkins, Duncan, Tuohy, Smith, Dalhaus and Stanley. Our midfield and defence were carried by our youth, our backline is trying to figure out how to fit all the talent in and our forward line will miss Tom but with Cameron, Close and Stengle we will be fine.

We're fine.

Well with a player like Stengle in the team, that you reckon should be in the AA team over Bolton, and all of your AA jumpers, by golly this premiership should be in the bag for Geelong. I mean if you don't do it this year, what does that say about Joel Selwood?

Are they what they used to be a couple of years back? No.

Can they win the flag from outside the top 4? Yes.

Nah mate, I don't get ahead of myself and imply players in our current best 22 are all future champions. I think like we saw from Gregson, Horlin-Smith, Parsons, Thurlow, it can turn sour very quickly.

We have a few similar types in the current squad.

You have been here for just over a year, unless it's a new account, and you have been around for a decade, not sure this is correct.

Long time observer, new-ish poster.

I'm a younger bloke, but old enough to have been to 3 of our premierships.

Nevertheless, the same has been said about us for 12 years now. It'll eventually be true, father time stops for nobody, but let's just say it's getting a bit repetitive after a dozen years.

Very logical reasonable post that is very difficult to disagree with

Within 2 years

Selwood
Smith
Hawkins
Stewart
Tuoy
Stanley
Higgins
Dalhaus
Ceglar
Duncan
Rohan
Menegola
Dangerfield
Blicavs

will all be gone.

If the strategy is to juice them up so they can play till they are 40, well good luck, but then again this is Geelong and I am sure Dank has left some spreadsheets around since he was last at the cattery

Geelong is heading exactly to where their arch rivals Hawthorn are. the bottom of the ladder, for a long long time.

Its now or never for the cats and the pressure will be on big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our MCG record is as good as anyone’s in the last couple of years, 10-2 to be precise, & the talk of run actually doesn’t stack up at all because we have some of the leagues best runners, Blicavs, Smith & Duncan just to name a few…..Want proof of this, check out when the ‘old’ Cats ran all over the top of the ‘young’ Pies earlier in the year. If we lose it certainly won’t be to do with run, it will be to do with getting nutted at clearances, like how Port turned the match around the other week….
I think we are a much better team now and the fact we kicked nine goals in a quarter against an outstanding defence gives me hope.
I don't think Scott's arrogant dig at our unsustainable gameplan will have been forgotten by Fly and co. either. :)

If Richmond hit the finals full of form and with a full list, and a bit of luck with oppo injuries, at absolute best they coukd cause upsets in weeks 1 and 2 and unexpectedly make a prelim. Snowballs chance in hell of making let alone winning a GF tho

Wildcard is Dusty. Get him back and even playing better than average football and he is the one who takes this team from being a reasonable, when on, team to a hot team no body wants to face.
Surely Dusty is back for the EF. That is still four weeks away. Issue will be getting some match touch into him. A return in rd23 would help, but would still expect some simulation for him at training. Tiger ressies are sitting in 8th, so he may even play there in the finals bye week.

Surely you don't believe that?
If Selwood, Tuohy, Smith and Dangerfield retired end of the year, do you think we are even in contention to play finals again?

Yes. Absolutely. None of them are critical from an on field performance perspective (danger and selwood are performing nowhere near what they used to and we are doing fine) and are replaceable..the quality of their off field leadership is undeniable though.

Wildcard is Dusty. Get him back and even playing better than average football and he is the one who takes this team from being a reasonable, when on, team to a hot team no body wants to face.
He’s missed a lot of footy.
Im not sure he can do it for the 4th time and win the tigers a flag.

Maybe but unlikely.

If Richmond hit the finals full of form and with a full list, and a bit of luck with oppo injuries, at absolute best they coukd cause upsets in weeks 1 and 2 and unexpectedly make a prelim. Snowballs chance in hell of making let alone winning a GF tho

It’s a bit odd to say they can somehow make a prelim but then say they’re no chance of winning it.

It would be a massive effort and I don’t think they’ll make a preliminary final, but your comment just struck me as weird.

If they made a prelim with a fit Dusty hitting his straps they could easily catch someone off guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin changes everything. When he did play earlier this year, he was pretty average (being kind) - barely going at about half rat-power. He was just another stat-gathering mid. If that's all he is when he gets back, well, he's not going to make much difference (beyond putting fear-of-god into the opposition match committee).

But if he comes back as 'DUSTY!!!' - Richmond are a 50/50 chance in every game - interstate or not. Whether they can do that 4 times in a row is another question.

Martin changes everything. When he did play earlier this year, he was pretty average (being kind) - barely going at about half rat-power. He was just another stat-gathering mid. If that's all he is when he gets back, well, he's not going to make much difference (beyond putting fear-of-god into the opposition match committee).

But if he comes back as 'DUSTY!!!' - Richmond are a 50/50 chance in every game - interstate or not. Whether they can do that 4 times in a row is another question.
His last game where he did his hammy was like the Dusty of old. Hope thats not the last time we've seen it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back