Can Robert Harvey coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Most caretaker coaches see themselves as auditioning for the position of senior coach.

Harvey will be auditioning for the position of being out of a job.

Well done to him for taking on the role in those circumstances.

Most caretaker coaches see themselves as auditioning for the position of senior coach.

It’s probably time for him to freshen up elsewhere.
10 years at one club is a long time in this industry.

Equally, could well find himself retained as an assistant under a new coach if that interests him. Bucks recent praise of him as a coach is not the first time I've heard it.

He would have been one of the guys more empowered when Bucks stood back a bit in 2018. Not sure what line he was in control of but the whole side was playing good football that year.

Footy is strange in that he lost his assistant coaching job at the club for good when Bucks stood down during the week but gets to coach the senior side before he starts looking for an assistant coach gig somewhere else. He might be coaching to win his assistant coaching job back. Would Sam Mitchell be able to demand all his own people.

Matthew Scarlett didn’t think he was very nice. But then Scarlett’s an a-hole, so his opinion doesn’t matter. Harvey does come across as a thoroughly decent person.
I've met Harvey too and he seemed to be a friendly bloke with no hint of being aloof. He appears to be a low key understated guy.
As a St Kilda supporter I saw him play most of his games & he was quiet but incredibly driven & determined to succeed. The fact that he won two Brownlow Medals in an era of Carey, Dunstall, Ablett and others is a testament to his hard work and incredible skill. IMO he was underrated. I have never seen such a runner and player and personally rate him as a slighly better footballer than Buckley, Hird and Voss who have all been senior coaches.
I am of course bias and am pretty sure that you will disagree with my sentiments!
Just because the bloke doesn't seem to be an upfront articulate media type or guy overall, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he became a great coach.
I wouldn't underestimate Robert Harvey & also believe that the players will take to him, if they have not already.
I for one have always wanted him to get the senior gig at St Kilda. I.would have preferred him to Watters, Richo & maybe even Brett Ratten.

Good luck Banger. You are a ripper and a legend!
Who knows how you'll perform at the pies, but I wish you were back at the saints..

Longmire should be our next coach, i know a few players who've played under him and they all say he is the meanest mofo alive, not to be ****ed with under any circumstances, that's what we need.

The nurse slapped him on the ass at birth because he wasn't crying, he knocked her out.

I've met Harvey too and he seemed to be a friendly bloke with no hint of being aloof. He appears to be a low key understated guy.
As a St Kilda supporter I saw him play most of his games & he was quiet but incredibly driven & determined to succeed. The fact that he won two Brownlow Medals in an era of Carey, Dunstall, Ablett and others is a testament to his hard work and incredible skill. IMO he was underrated. I have never seen such a runner and player and personally rate him as a slighly better footballer than Buckley, Hird and Voss who have all been senior coaches.
I am of course bias and am pretty sure that you will disagree with my sentiments!
Just because the bloke doesn't seem to be an upfront articulate media type or guy overall, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he became a great coach.
I wouldn't underestimate Robert Harvey & also believe that the players will take to him, if they have not already.
I for one have always wanted him to get the senior gig at St Kilda. I.would have preferred him to Watters, Richo & maybe even Brett Ratten.

Good luck Banger. You are a ripper and a legend!
Who knows how you'll perform at the pies, but I wish you were back at the saints..
He was a wonderful player. Just so strong through the hips that no one could tackle him. But I'd rate him a touch below where you do. I think Dane Swan is the recent comparison from us in terms of his level - touch below the three you mentioned as he wasn’t as damaging with the footy.

I hope we go well under him, obviously because I'm a Pies fan, but also because I have found the absolute certainty annoying when people here slag off his coaching. I just don't get where the certainty comes from.

We need to move on.
This year is a busted flush with nothing to loose.
So, lets just see what happens with Harvey & think about where we are at when the season ends.

Hi mate , there seems to be a lot of negativity about Harvey. Not only you but many of us replying to this thread.
I can tell you for a fact that out of all of our assistant coaches the players especially the kids like his method of coaching, his easily accesible and a great communicator to the players so he has that over Buckley not that says much.
In regards to your first statement dont forget David Noble and Luke Bevridge they waited even longer.
Will Harvey be a good coach? No one really knows thats the truth, time will tell.

At odds with a anonymous former player quoted in an article recently.

One former player he coached described Harvey as the type of character who can appear uncomfortable to those listening when he speaks in front of a group.

I always found it weird people who like robotic coaches our u18 team had 3 coaches all with varying styles but nothing beats a good emotional rev up at the right time, even players who typically like the calm coaches would visibly lift.
They obviously did it at right time (and not all the time), they mostly gave calm deliberate messages but foook me some all time great speeches team lifting moments and some fair bakes to some players you would ever see.

I don't care what anyone says, you can lift above 100% effort! its called adrenaline! and makes people do things they normally can't or wouldn't. No player can sitting there calm all the time could possibly hit that zone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None. If you’d like to add something to the discussion, feel free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then why refer to it ? I don't know enough about Mr Harvey's coaching ability to comment accurately. But it would seem that Nathan Buckley, a somewhat hard marker of people has been happy with Roberts performance over the last few years. Make of that what you will...

Then why refer to it ? I don't know enough about Mr Harvey's coaching ability to comment accurately. But it would seem that Nathan Buckley, a somewhat hard marker of people has been happy with Roberts performance over the last few years. Make of that what you will...

I would hardly expect Bucks to say “Rob will be pretty useless as head coach, but he’ll get you through till the end of the year” even if he thought that of him.

I would hardly expect Bucks to say “Rob will be pretty useless as head coach, but he’ll get you through till the end of the year” even if he thought that of him.

You took the words right out of my fingertips.

As for the picture, was Harvey expected to push his way into the centre of the photo? I can't even spot the other coaches, though the beanies don't make for easy recognition.

My point is if Nathan thought that of Robert then there is no way Mr Harvey would have been around Collingwood as long as he has...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back