Strategy Can Sam Mitchell & Brad Sewell Play in the Same Side?

Can We play both Sammy & Sewelly in the same side come Finals Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

OP raises an interesting point and in typical pathetic BF fashion is slammed because people cling onto the past

To answer the question at hand, I'm sure they'll have to for periods of the game, and I think the original plan was to get games into Hallahan, Langford and the like.. injuries robbed us of that ability and as such, Sewell has been welcomed back with open arms, and is performing well.

Going forward, no. When Sewell's form tapers away and his possession count again drops he'll fall away, and whether he seeks opportunity elsewhere or stays to help the younger inside mids develop remains to be seen. As for this forum, once again I'm wondering why I even bother having an account.

Haha, ironic post is ironic.

;)

I really don't get this thread at all. Such an odd question.
If the OP cannot see Sewell and Mitch in the same side, then surely that must mean that he does not see one of them in the best 22. That is fine, it is his opinion. The selectors will probably see it different. As will the vast majority of supporters.

No wonder he is getting flamed. But let's just sit back and let him have his own opinion without getting too upset.

2008 and 2013 GFs????

Yep...Been mentioned before: But that was then, this is now. With Hodge & Lewy alongside of Sammy in the middle....Now, where to put Sewelly?

No wonder he is getting flamed. But let's just sit back and let him have his own opinion without getting to upset.

Don't mind the roasting one bit arupist, just hoped it'd be a smite more substantial is all.:thumbsu:...You can cling to majority opinion if you like, although that appears to be the entire crux of your argument!

Yep...Been mentioned before: But that was then, this is now. With Hodge & Lewy alongside of Sammy in the middle....Now, where to put Sewelly?

Don't mind the roasting one bit arupist, just hoped it'd be a smite more substantial is all.:thumbsu:...You can cling to majority opinion if you like, although that appears to be the entire crux of your argument!
Was only 16 rounds of football ago.

Sewell is in the team unless there is someone better than him. While I like seeing kids play too, to be honest they are NOT better than Sewell. Hallahan, Langford, Woodward, etc are just not up to it at the moment, especially come the heat of finals.

Was only 16 rounds of football ago.

Sewell is in the team unless there is someone better than him. While I like seeing kids play too, to be honest they are NOT better than Sewell. Hallahan, Langford, Woodward, etc are just not up to it at the moment, especially come the heat of finals.

Yep, this. When it's a close game or a big final, I want Sewell at the stoppages.

change_the_subject.gif

I am not making an argument, mate. I simply don't understand the question. In any side there is room for up to 5+ onballers - centre, one follower, rover and two+ interchange. I gather you are saying Sewell doesn't fit into any one of those slots if Mitchell is playing. It is not as if you are asking if there is room for both Ceglar and Lowden when there is only one dedicated ruck.
As I said, do not understand why you would need to link Mitchell and Sewell as competing for one position. So if I cannot understand your point, I cannot make an argument one way or the other.

Duly acknowledged, though I was looking for something stronger so far as strategical reasons for & against! Although a yes or no is Fine!

I think the question is a fair one when couched in the context that it's presented!....I.E From A Purely Team Balance Perspective Come Finals Time!

Fair point. I would argue that Mitch and Sewell do not play the same role. They both are clearance winners but that's pretty much where the similarity ends. The hawks actually often set up so that Mitchell is NOT in the pack so that he can get it at the back and use his elite disposal to set us up. Mitchell is also often the 'designated' kicker into 50 (if we have the opportunity to get it to him). He can also be a kicker in the half back line as we have seen in the last couple of years.

Sewell is more of a bullocker than Mitchell, scragging in the packs, tackling fiercely etc. He is probably a very good shepherder and has good negating skills. His disposal, while not poor, is not in the same league as Mitchell's. His tenacity is elite. He's particularly good in scrappy, tight affairs and finals often dish this sort of footy up.

TL;DR I think their roles are different enough to have them both in the team.

It's all about Balance, we can have Mitchell, Sewell, Hodge, Lewis all in the same side as long as we have Hill, Smith, Birchall, Rioli / Hartung to complement them. Same way it wouldn't work to have Hill, Hill, Pierce, Gaff, Young, Yarran all in the same side.

WTF is this. I have not read one reply but surely you jest. They have played in the same side for about 10 years and have 2 premierships together. Mitchell is more flexible than ever in terms of positions he can play and so is Sewell. Easy yes for mine.

WTF is this. I have not read one reply but surely you jest. They have played in the same side for about 10 years and have 2 premierships together. Mitchell is more flexible than ever in terms of positions he can play and so is Sewell. Easy yes for mine.

It's called playing the Devil's Advocate, selkan hawks!....Pretty much a colophon call I'd of thought!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's called playing the Devil's Advocate, selkan hawks!....Pretty much a colophon call I'd of thought!
Fair call with freedom of speech and all. For mine Sewell is performing well enough to let Mitchell play the outside, inside mid role. 1st receiver you might say. He is a brilliant distributor as we know so he is a little wasted for mine burrowing under packs these days. Lewis can be a very damaging mid rotating off the HFF also or if we play someone like Sydney or Geelong he can try to lock down on a Mackie or a Malcieksi type, he has done that excellently in the past.
Sewell frees these guys up to do that. A lock in finals if his form holds out.

Bad thread title causing a lot of issues for the OP.

OP essentially asking is the combination of Hodge/Mitchell with, for example, Litherland in defence, better than Sewell/Mitchell with Hodge in defence.

The basis of this question is that Sewell/Mitchell/Hodge are all slow inside mids. We have shown a great reluctance to include them (with Lewis and Sheils) all in the same midfield at the same time for several years now. We throw Hodge in there when we are in trouble but otherwise he has played along the HBF since 2010.

Hodge's current form makes a compelling case for him to return permanently into the middle but does this squeeze out Sewell from the side?

For anyone dismissing the OP but still think Hodge can play largely in the midfield try and do a best 22 with those three in the midfield along with Lewis and sheils and burgoyne rotating through there. The limitation is that you must include Suckling because he isn't going anywhere.

Rioli* Roughy Breust
Gunston Shoey Burgoyne
Smith Mitchell Hill
Suckling Gibbo* Birchall
Litherland Lake Stratton
Ceglar Hodge Lewis
Hale Sheils Poppy Sewell/Duryea

*Presently injured

If you want to include Sphanger in the same team as Gibbo then pretty much you can't fit Sewell in without dropping Suckling or Litherland and playing Hodge or Burgoyne as a FT defender and the other one as a part time defender. That worked well last year but the question is is it the best configuration this year, particularly given Suckling is back and Litherland has emerged?

This is not a straight forward question to answer and ultimately will depend a lot on who is fit for finals. Sewell's form in the last 3 weeks has been the best patch since 2012 so it would be extremely tough on him no doubt. If it is a pure question of Hodge v Sewell in the middle you would go Hodge every day but what makes the team better overall?

EDIT: I should point out that come the grand final Mitchell did not play on the HBF and I wouldn't expect him to play serious minutes away from the centre. Playing on the HBF is about managing his workload through the year as much as any other benefit.

Hodge's current form makes a compelling case for him to return permanently into the middle but does this squeeze out Sewell from the side?

For anyone dismissing the OP but still think Hodge can play largely in the midfield try and do a best 22 with those three in the midfield along with Lewis and sheils and burgoyne rotating through there. The limitation is that you must include Suckling because he isn't going anywhere.

Rioli* Roughy Breust
Gunston Shoey Burgoyne
Smith Mitchell Hill
Suckling Gibbo* Birchall
Litherland Lake Stratton
Ceglar Hodge Lewis
Hale Sheils Poppy Sewell/Duryea

*Presently injured

If you want to include Sphanger in the same team as Gibbo then pretty much you can't fit Sewell in without dropping Suckling or Litherland and playing Hodge or Burgoyne as a FT defender and the other one as a part time defender. That worked well last year but the question is is it the best configuration this year, particularly given Suckling is back and Litherland has emerged?

This is not a straight forward question to answer and ultimately will depend a lot on who is fit for finals. Sewell's form in the last 3 weeks has been the best patch since 2012 so it would be extremely tough on him no doubt. If it is a pure question of Hodge v Sewell in the middle you would go Hodge every day but what makes the team better overall?

EDIT: I should point out that come the grand final Mitchell did not play on the HBF and I wouldn't expect him to play serious minutes away from the centre. Playing on the HBF is about managing his workload through the year as much as any other benefit.

Have to say Brishawk.....Thank you for raising the bar....Thank You!:thumbsu:

Been thinking this one over for a while now & I can't for the life of me see both these blokes playing in the Senior 22....Both principally play in the middle & in the same role & offer an almost identical skill-set & game style.

Sewelly has been great in lifting himself up to cover for Sammy's loss, but is beginning to look tired & seems to be flagging from the supreme effort he has put in over these past 6 weeks....He missed the start of the season & so was quite refreshed when coming into the side, but the effort seems to be now taking its toll!

Sammy is the obvious choice if having to choose between one of them in the interests of team balance....For mine, we cannot afford 2 have 2 old & slow war-horses in the middle of the ground come finals time. So, that said, I cannot find a spot in the first 22 for Sewell once the Finals swing around!

Bump!.....Hate to bump my own thread just to say that I told you so, But hey.....I told you so!:eek::confused:o_O

Yeah, nah you were still kinda wrong in a way since Sewelly has been replaced with Langers who's a very simliar style player.

Had Langers not had a break out year Sewell would be playing, its just Langers is better right now.

Yeah, nah you were still kinda wrong in a way since Sewelly has been replaced with Langers who's a very simliar style player.

Had Langers not had a break out year Sewell would be playing, its just Langers is better right now.

"Langers" confirmed old, slow midfield workhorse?

Op was only wrong to the extent he suggested Sewell and Mitchell had an identical skillset. Both are slow and reasonably old, they're very different players.

"Langers" confirmed old, slow midfield workhorse?

Op was only wrong to the extent he suggested Sewell and Mitchell had an identical skillset. Both are slow and reasonably old, they're very different players.

They are different as are Langers and Sewell but langers plays Sewells role of inside contested ball winner right now, old or young makes no difference and if Sewell was in his prime form or Langers hadn't come on so much, Sewell would be playing.

It's like saying Hale and Ceglar can't pay in the same side and Ceglar being dropped this week proves it.

They are different as are Langers and Sewell but langers plays Sewells role of inside contested ball winner right now, old or young makes no difference and if Sewell was in his prime form or Langers hadn't come on so much, Sewell would be playing.

It's like saying Hale and Ceglar can't pay in the same side and Ceglar being dropped this week proves it.
Pace. One has it one doesn't anymore.

Replace this post with: "I wuz wrong"

;)

Er....You wuz Sayin?;)

Cough!

The selectors will probably see it different. As will the vast majority of supporters.

No wonder he is getting flamed. But let's just sit back and let him have his own opinion without getting too upset.

LOL:D

Is this thread serious?
:$
Yep....Looks like it.:drunk:

What a shite thread.

Seems we have found the true judge of all things 'Shite'

Really hope we get to see the evidence this year

Your wish is my command.;)

You aren't even correct in retrospect.Brad Sewell was replaced due to Will Langfords superior form. SFA to do with playing in the same side as Sam Mitchell as their two premierships together proves.
Poor bump, too high, reckless and negligent contact, two weeks suspension for you.

Back