Can Swans still win GF?

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree - unless they're top notch, which not many are.

Gawn is super important for us due to his tapwork and ability to push forward and take a contested mark. The amount of times he gives us first use from a stoppage is very valuable.

THey are also important if a team has a truly awful ruck division. As long as a team has an average ruckman they are usually okay, but if a team has a really good ruckman it is a huge advantage, and if they have a really bad ruckman it is a huge disadvantage, so it only really matters at the extreme ends of the scale.

I read that as a height above 198kgs.

Which I think should also be a rule.

Make it happen Gil.

My God...think of the Stewart Dew highlights, and then make it for every player on the ground...

Meh, our best ruckman is Luke Parker anyway.

Blessing in disguise mean's they'll have one less tall in the forward line making them more mobile.

As long as a team has an average ruckman they are usually okay, but if a team has a really good ruckman it is a huge advantage, and if they have a really bad ruckman it is a huge disadvantage, so it only really matters at the extreme ends of the scale.
Well, this could be said about all positions...

So the Swans lose a ruckman close to the season starting and the AFL is now pushing a Mid Season trade period to start ASAP this year??

Hmmmm how convenient and it took the Swans to suffer the fate many other teams have had in the Pre Season before but the AFL are quickly trying to rush in a new system all of a sudden to benefit their love child team base.......:rolleyes:

I like the idea but gee the timing stinks to high heaven and good one Gill i suppose as there is no way the AFL will let NSW not be competitive.

I’m ok with it. I assume it has to come from an existing listed player. Hawks will happily take their next 3 first round picks ;)

Did Hawthorn lose ruckmen a lot when Buddy was with you guys?

Actually, we lost Max Bailey a few times with knee issues; lost Renouf after he tried some dumbarse car jumping stunt

There could be something into this...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How ridiculous they cant sign a free agent from a lower division.
Why is it ridiculous ?

The Swans chose to delist Tippett and enter the season with 3 ruckman on their list (Naismith, Sinclair and 22yo Darcy Cameron)
Other clubs choose to have one less midfielder on their list than Sydney and have five listed ruckmen.
That's all part and parcel of list management

Back in 2010, the Hawks had four of their ruckman unavailable because of injuries when the H&A season got underway
We had ONE fit ruckman, Brent Renouf. He was ill and withdrew from one game, so we used Luke Hodge as our 1st ruck.
Our ruck woes probably cost us 1 or 2 wins and the chance for a home final, but nobody shed any tears for us.

What a gee up this thread is. As one insightful poster stated we lost Naismith not Buddy.
To be perfectly I honest, I like Naismith but I think we will be better without him, allows us to go smaller and quicker which was been an issue in the past. Also a midfield of Kennedy, Heeney, Parker, Jack and Hanners should be able to limit the damage.

Why is it ridiculous ?

The Swans chose to delist Tippett and enter the season with 3 ruckman on their list (Naismith, Sinclair and 22yo Darcy Cameron)
Other clubs choose to have one less midfielder on their list than Sydney and have five listed ruckmen.
That's all part and parcel of list management

Back in 2010, the Hawks had four of their ruckman unavailable because of injuries when the H&A season got underway
We had ONE fit ruckman, Brent Renouf. He was ill and withdrew from one game, so we used Luke Hodge as our 1st ruck.
Our ruck woes probably cost us 1 or 2 wins and the chance for a home final, but nobody shed any tears for us.

Tippett retired, wasn’t delisted.

I don’t think the AFL should make any changes for this season considering it’s about to start already, but certainly in the future it makes sense to have more flexible list management options in place. It’s ridiculous that clubs are locked in to their lists 5 months before the season starts.

Tippett retired, wasn’t delisted.

I don’t think the AFL should make any changes for this season considering it’s about to start already, but certainly in the future it makes sense to have more flexible list management options in place. It’s ridiculous that clubs are locked in to their lists 5 months before the season starts.
The problem with making new rules to cover for these sorts of contingencies is that they're made with the best of intentions, but inevitably clubs learn to exploit the new rules and abuse them in ways they weren't initially designed for.

The idea of a club signing a 27yo backup ruckman from the WAFL or VFL to cover for their injuries sounds great in theory, but then it won't be long before we see West Coast pluck some Dean Cox type gun they've been hiding away in the bush

The problem with making new rules to cover for these sorts of contingencies is that they're made with the best of intentions, but inevitably clubs learn to exploit the new rules and abuse them in ways they weren't initially designed for.

The idea of a club signing a 27yo backup ruckman from the WAFL or VFL to cover for their injuries sounds great in theory, but then it won't be long before we see West Coast pluck some Dean Cox type gun they've been hiding away in the bush

What if the players drafted have to be a minimum of 22 years old as it would be very hard for any club to hide them, and in theory 17 other clubs would have all had access to him in the previous draft, and all of them passed on him?

They've got the cavalry but not the heart.

They can definitely win it. I'd have them behind Geelong as favourites.

Nothing to see here. Got a good relationship with the tiges...i'm sure they'll lease Nankervis back to us for a season on the cheap.

No problem.

Actually, lets do a swap...we're short a CHF since Griffiths packed it in....Got anyone good? We can do a swap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back