Can that be enough for Hartigan

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I have watched most of Harto’s games. Saw him pantsed Robbie Gray a couple of years ago in a Showdown. Rarely gets beaten body on body. Marks/fists well when on song.

He just happens to be a very poor 15-20m kick when under pressure or when out of steam. He needs to basically be more aware of his weaknesses and do less of it! His strengths are still useful as an AFL player.
Wrong ....you must be watching a different player

Are you happy to go into every game with at least a one goal handicap i.e. start the every single game at -6 points?

I'm not.
Hehe. The same can be said of Gibbs, Douglas, Rat, Murphy etc. All players have their weaknesses and are prone for mistakes. Tell me a player who is able to get 100% kicking efficiency for an entire season? Even for an entire game, does that happen often?

Defenders kicking flaws are just much more noticeable because they are directly responsible to a goal, whereas a shank from Rat (how many out of bounds on the full did he kick last night?) can at least be redeemed and not look as bad.

Anyway, I don’t want to look like I’m saying Harto had a great game, but he certainly wasn’t all manure and flies, considering our opponents kicked only 10 goals for the night. The defenders played well enough.

Guess there are a few on here that owe Mick and a very few others an apology. Been saying this for 2-3 years. Yeah right like that's gonna happen. 😃

Hehe. The same can be said of Gibbs, Douglas, Rat, Murphy etc. All players have their weaknesses and are prone for mistakes. Tell me a player who is able to get 100% kicking efficiency for an entire season? Even for an entire game, does that happen often?

Defenders kicking flaws are just much more noticeable because they are directly responsible to a goal, whereas a shank from Rat (how many out of bounds on the full did he kick last night?) can at least be redeemed and not look as bad.

Anyway, I don’t want to look like I’m saying Harto had a great game, but he certainly wasn’t all manure and flies, considering our opponents kicked only 10 goals for the night. The defenders played well enough.
Delusional. Making yourself look foolish for defending what has been indefensible for a while.

The times he doesn't slip over he's a decent defender, but needs to play the Zac Dawson role and not get the ball

None of our other defenders do it so consistently though. For all (or any of) their flaws, Talia, Keath, Doedee, Kelly don't gift the opposition at least one goal a game as consistently as Hartigan does.

And even if they do, it's not in the form of lacing out a pass straight down the opposition forward's throat in a manner that none of our midfielders are even able to consistently do for our own forwards.

It is ******* ridiculous how consistent he is at doing this time after time. Maybe our midfielders should observe how Hartigan kicks the ball to the opposition forwards so they can deliver it in the same manner to Tex.

He's been a decent club servant, but it's time to move on from him now.

With Otten at the end and Talia looking old, we need to bring in a couple of key defenders in the trade/draft period.

None of our other defenders do it so consistently though. For all (or any of) their flaws, Talia, Keath, Doedee, Kelly don't gift the opposition at least one goal a game as consistently as Hartigan does.

And even if they do, it's not in the form of lacing out a pass straight down the opposition forward's throat in a manner that none of our midfielders are even able to consistently do for our own forwards.

It is ******* ridiculous how consistent he is at doing this time after time. Maybe our midfielders should observe how Hartigan kicks the ball to the opposition forwards so they can deliver it in the same manner to Tex.
Can’t really argue with the ridiculousness of the consistency of brain fades.
The main issue though is we don’t have an obvious defender that can consistently play against the big forwards and can match them on strength and speed.

What’s your thinking if we omit Hartigan?

We need to throw $$$ at another key defender in the off-season which IMO will be our priority given Talia ain't no spring chicken anymore and Hartigan is an out-and-out spud. The guy gets a game because of our lack of options at this stage which is an indictment on our list management.

Personally, I don't even care anymore if we're undersized. Get rid of him. I'm so sick of this chump.

Fair crack, surely there was a defender we could have nabbed in the mid-year draft. He has played some good games but so many are abysmal and tonight was more reflective of his career than not.

Just no more, not as a backup, not as a mentor, trade him out before he does any more damage to the club.
Brain Fartigan. Just is not consistent with his execution out of defence. There is a huge difference between kicking under pressure as far as you can and the opposition mark it, and kicking it directly to the opposition which happens a bit with him. Keith can both mark and deliver. I wouldn’t be against trading Him and Atkins as a package. They are our biggest liabilities imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just can't accept performances like last night.

Has to be dropped this week.

If Keath is unavailable, then Himmelberg can come in to play on their 3rd tall & follow them into the ruck.

Would prefer the slower but smarter Otten on Darling as has done the job before than reward Hartigan after that performance.

Here is a challenge to our supporters. Can you name ONE player who CONSISTENTLY delivers the ball lace out to our forwards AT LEAST ONCE A GAME? No, I personally I can't.

However, I can name one defender that CONSISTENTLY delivers the ball lace out to the OPPOSITION forward AT LEAST ONCE A GAME. Hartigan.

When you have a defender who is more effective at delivering the ball to the opposition forwards than ANY of our midfielders are at delivering the ball to our own forwards, we have a serious ******* problem.

Can't have two players deep in defensive 50 that cant kick, Hartigan and Kelly are NOT up to afl standard even Brown can be scratchy.
Part of our problem across half back is trying to ensure they don't kick by freeing up our preferred kicks laird,milera,Smith.
Basically our transition is crippled by sub standard kicking skills.

Not Mackay. The others can do it
Mackay did last night as he has much of the season actually drill a pass to a leading forward.

Sad as many of our higher profile players just kick in hope without even looking.

I don't have the stats, but I can almost guarantee you Hartigan has gifted more goals to the opposition in 2019 with lace out kicks than Galucci has goal assists.
I think you are being blind-sighted by our recent month’s form. Surely a midfielder has to have a few lace out kicks to a forward per game than Hartigan gifts to an opposition!

Logistically, if you are actually correct, how the heck have we been winning any games, let alone 10 this year?!

Sloane, Crouch bros and Lynch are guys who can do some good forward entries per game. Just that clangers often are much more memorable.

I think you are being blind-sighted by our recent month’s form. Surely a midfielder has to have a few lace out kicks to a forward per game than Hartigan gifts to an opposition!

Galucci has 8 goal assists in 2019.

Hartigan has played 17 games. He averages 1 lace out pass/goal to an opposition forward a game but I'll be generous and halve that to 0.5 per game which (conservatively!) equals 8.5 goals gifted from lace out passes to opposition forwards by him this year which is still more than the 8 goal assists from Galucci so far.

I actually thought I was exaggerating but it's actually ******* worse than I thought after I decided to do a cursory statistical analysis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back