Can the league go on without Deni Varnhagen

Status
Not open for further replies.
How will AFLW, and the Adelaide Crows, survive if a superstar like Varnhagen refuses to get vaccinated?

Interesting how so many hypocrites were falling over each other to heap s**t on a model citizen and extremely talented athlete like Tayla Harris.

Yet when it comes to an actual mediocre footballer and obviously irresponsible person... nobody cares. No thread yet for those who seemed so keen on offering unsolicited career advice to female footballers a mere 6 months ago? Here, knock yourselves out.

Not sure what the rest of your post has to do with it.
Weird OP - definitely warrants a thread but not sure what half the content in the post is about
Pretty simple. This thread would already be 20 pages long and swarming with trolls who know practically nothing about AFLW, if only the player was actually highly marketable and decorated.

I'm just glad that some (maybe all, remains to be seen I guess) of the biggest names in the league, including unfairly maligned ones like Harris, continue to be excellent role models.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Pretty simple. This thread would already be 20 pages long and swarming with trolls who know practically nothing about AFLW, if only the player was actually highly marketable and decorated.

I'm just glad that some (maybe all, remains to be seen I guess) of the biggests names in the league, including unfairly maligned ones like Harris, continue to be excellent role models.

So a player that no one has ever really heard of, hasn’t garnered a large amount of attention and commentary? I’m shocked.

So a player that no one has ever really heard of, hasn’t garnered a large amount of attention and commentary? I’m shocked.
It's widely reported news, just not getting such a big reaction because people are more interested in cutting down the tall poppies for trivial/fabricated reasons.

Her body her choice right?
Nutjob alert.

Grind that axe.
This is not about grinding axes, this is about providing sage career advice.

So many people were willing to provide that service six months ago for somebody who didn't even need it. Where are they now, poor Deni could really do with their wisdom.

Or are you suggesting Varnhagen should try her hand as a tree arborist for a new job? Does one need to be vaccinated for that?

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Nutjob alert.

So many people were willing to provide that service six months ago for somebody who didn't even need it. Where are they now, poor Deni could really do with their wisdom.

Or are you suggesting Varnhagen should try her hand as a tree arborist for a new job? Does one need to be vaccinated for that?

What do you want people to say?

She’s a moron, basically. Compromising both her AFLW and nursing careers all at once.

But in response to your question in the thread title; yes the competition can go on without her.

It’s picked up mentions in most of the Coronavirus related threads, if not here specifically
So is there much interest in the story or not? You don't seem to have made up your mind there.

What do you want people to say?
Nothing, if the alternative is to feign interest in AFLW just to pot a famous and upstanding member of the community.

3x All-Australian asks for more money: "What a troublemaker, she's upsetting team harmony."
Fringe player refuses to be vaccinated: ".........."

Where did all the sincere scholars of the league go. They were so keen to share their learned opinions for the good of the game, but now they are lost for words. I wonder why that is. Hmm, what a brainteaser.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
So is there much interest in the story or not? You don't seem to have made up your mind there.

Nothing, if the alternative is to feign interest in AFLW just to pot a famous and upstanding member of the community.

3x All-Australian asks for more money: "What a troublemaker, she's upsetting team harmony."
Fringe player refuses to be vaccinated: ".........."

Where did all the sincere scholars of the league go. They were so keen to share their learned opinions for the good of the game, but now they are lost for words. I wonder why that is. Hmm, what a brainteaser.

They're totally different things.

Tayla Harris is extremely well known, almost anyone who follows AFL knows her, plenty of those with no other interest in AFLW, making demands related to football.

Varnhagen meanwhile, hardly anyone outside of people who follow AFLW know of her, so she's just another anti-vaxxer.

As I said, there's been passing commentary about it, but it doesn't seem anyone cares all that much beyond her being a marginally higher profile person than your average refusnik.

Your thread title was however; "Can the league go on without Deni Varnhagen" to which the answer is comfortably yes.

You seem to be wanting people to be more outraged than they are?

Tayla Harris is extremely well known, almost anyone who follows AFL knows her, plenty of those with no other interest in AFLW, making demands related to football.

Varnhagen meanwhile, hardly anyone outside of people who follow AFLW know of her, so she's just another anti-vaxxer.

As I said, there's been passing commentary about it, but it doesn't seem anyone cares all that much beyond her being a marginally higher profile person than your average refusnik.
Precisely my point (aside from the lie about Harris "making demands"). The reaction to the issue is dictated purely by the level of celebrity, rather than all the key details of the issue.

Your thread title was however; "Can the league go on without Deni Varnhagen" to which the answer is comfortably yes.
Do you know what a rhetorical question is?

You seem to be wanting people to be more outraged than they are?
A lot of people would be expressing more outrage if the AFLW player had a higher profile. These people are hypocrites, and I enjoy it when they are exposed. I might start calling these cowards out by name if they don't have the guts to reveal themselves.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Precisely my point (aside from the lie about Harris "making demands"). The reaction to the issue is dictated purely by the level of celebrity, rather than all the key details of the issue.

A lot of people would be expressing more outrage if the AFLW player had a higher profile. These people are hypocrites, and I enjoy it when they are exposed. I might start calling these cowards out by name if they don't have the guts to reveal themselves.

So you're upset that people aren't all that invested in a player most of them would probably never have heard of, let alone recognise.

It's a weird series of commentary. Of course higher profile people garner more attention when they do things.

jj15

All Australian
Jan 10, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Nutjob alert.

Ok Tayla calm down.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
Can’t say I am a fan of being filled with a relatively untried and in tested vaccine, but I did it coz as an essential worker I had no choice. Given enough money that I could sit it out for another 12 months to see if people start growing a second head.
Maybe she looks at things like I do.
1/ I don’t ever trust governments not to * things up
2/ I’m not seeing that being vaxxed is actually doing that much. Maybe a little but also not a lot.
3/ Maybe it’s better to die free than lived tethered
4/ Maybe she doesn’t being like being told ‘you must do this’
Whatever it is you don’t have to be an anti vaxxer to think this thing isn’t 100% thought through, and being a test monkey isn’t exactly a comfortable idea.
Expecting rubbish responses but that’s ok. It’s an odd world we live in right now

So you're upset that people aren't all that invested in a player most of them would probably never have heard of, let alone recognise.
Those people aren't invested in any player nor the league, they just pretend to be when they want to pile on. And yes I'm in tears about it.

It's a weird series of commentary. Of course higher profile people garner more attention when they do things.
High profile players doing mundane things should not garner more "attention" (i.e. character assassination) than low profile players doing idiotic things.

And the double standard is omnipresent, not just from one corner of the internet. See comments from Players' Association CEO Paul Marsh:

One AFLW player publicises her own anti-vaccination beliefs on social media: "Please respect her privacy"
Another AFLW player is criticised for baseless rumours about her salary: "........."

Ok Tayla calm down.
Ooh good one.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

Those people aren't hypocrites at all. A higher profile player has more influence and should be taken more seriously whether you agree with them or not.

You're outraged for the sake of being outraged.

Those people aren't hypocrites at all. A higher profile player has more influence and should be taken more seriously whether you agree with them or not.
So we should be celebrating high profile players like Harris for being good role models, rather than inventing issues to criticise them.

You're outraged for the sake of being outraged.
Said the adult who is outraged enough to mash the thumbs down button.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
... Said the adult who is outraged enough to mash the thumbs down button.
Yeah I threw some chairs around the room, kicked my dog and then lost it completely and hit that button. But I wasn't angry enough to start a topic whinging about people not caring about someone no-one had ever heard of before yesterday. It seems she's thrown away two careers because 'that's her choice'. Big deal.

As an aside, I was listening to some self employed guy on talkback radio last week and he was furious that he'd need to get vaxed to continue doing his job as a cabinet maker. Self employed and says he works on his own (apart from when he's installing the cabinets I'd presume). He was whinging about all the money he'd lose, his business going down, the problems it'd cause his wife and kids... Just go and get vaxed ffs and you wouldn't have these issues. But no, he should be allowed to choose whether to get vaccinated or not. Well knucklehead, you DO have that choice. Easy to see why he's self employed and works alone.

But I wasn't angry enough to start a topic whinging about people not caring about someone no-one had ever heard of before yesterday.
Me neither. I'm disappointed, not angry, that the self-appointed career advisers on here six months ago haven't resurfaced when they're truly needed. Just because Deni isn't well known, doesn't mean she isn't worthy of their guidance.

I also started the thread because of how happy I am that some (maybe all, remains to be seen I suppose) high profile players are being responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back