Strategy Can the Saints make the finals this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just come through the ladder predictor and I reckon it will come down to round 23 either we will get a game ahead of North or it will be down to percentage so we may need to smash Brisbane to make finals.

I've given us a loss against the Swans and have given North a win vs GWS but of course we could lose to the Swans and North and GWS could beat them making no real difference to the prediction.

It could be 2008 all over again with North falling at the last hurdle and us playing against our percentage to leapfrog into the 8.

Our fate is most likely in our own hands.

Just come through the ladder predictor and I reckon it will come down to round 23 either we will get a game ahead of North or it will be down to percentage so we may need to smash Brisbane to make finals.

I've given us a loss against the Swans and have given North a win vs GWS but of course we could lose to the Swans and North and GWS could beat them making no real difference to the prediction.

It could be 2008 all over again with North falling at the last hurdle and us playing against our percentage to leapfrog into the 8.

Our fate is most likely in our own hands.

I think it's pretty safe to assume we can't pass north on percentage unless we beat them by 15 goals this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was having a think about ideal scenarios. If the season ended now, I think my biggest concern from the entire season would be our inability to perform in interstate games. If, and it's still a big if, we made finals, I'd love to play and win an interstate eliminator final. Just to well and truly destroy that doubt.

Far out, this is real.

A few points from me:

- Anyone who legitimately claims we should aim for anything short of our best possible finish has NFI. Thankfully Richo agrees.
- I don't think WB are in any danger of dropping out, and I think they should be safe against North. They had a rough week with injuries but the inclusion of Stringer, Dahlhaus and McLean will more than compensate for the loss of Wallis and Redpath. I think they will also be really steeled going forward now.

No, but I remember our last game for 2008.
After that match, and a long summer to think out it, the guys came out of the blocks with all cylinders firing.

Essendon game was awesome, we needed percentage, and lots of it to get into the 4, Milney kicked 7, Reiwoldt 4.
We had 9 different goal kickers, even that Eddie Robertson guy had a shot.
Spud Lloyd pulled up his socks and kicked against the etihad breeze but only got one and missed 3.

Can't remember what Kosi did, but somehow he got 14 marks and 119 dream team points.

I think it's pretty safe to assume we can't pass north on percentage unless we beat them by 15 goals this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What if they get smashed by Sydney, Hawthorn and GWS?

(Obviously that would probably let us get a game clear)

Essendon game was awesome, we needed percentage, and lots of it to get into the 4, Milney kicked 7, Reiwoldt 4.
Spud Lloyd pulled up his socks and kicked against the etihad breeze but only got one and missed 3.

Can't remember what Kosi did, but somehow he got 14 marks and 119 dream team points.

The atmosphere was insane as we chased down the required margin.

The next 3 weeks weren't great all up but we still knocked the pies out 2 weeks later.

The atmosphere was insane as we chased down the required margin.

The next 3 weeks weren't great all up but we still knocked the pies out 2 weeks later.
Even though we were bundled out after that PF I knew that we would be back next year with another shot at it. We were definitely in the zone and flying.

They were showing the live ladder thru the game .
The roar when we jumped into the eight was huge . Very enjoyable night.
As for this year ironically the Dogs injuries could cost us a place in the eight as I had them pencilled in to beat north . They still may beat them hopefully after we do this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing that we can still make the finals if North beats us on Saturday night. If North win on Saturday we need to win our last four games (Carlton Sydney Richmond Brisbane) and North would need to lose their last four games (Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Sydney, GWS), which would end the season with us on 13 wins and North on 12. So it's still possible but obviously a hell of a lot harder because we'd have to beat the Swans in that process instead of just taking care of business Saturday night.

Now if we win on Saturday night we pretty much hold our fate in our own hands. Beat North and then we have the "luxury" of dropping one more game for the year (Swans) and winning the other three which is obviously a heck of a lot easier path to travel. Gives us some breathing space too because beating North and winning three more gives us 13 wins so North can still win 1 of their last 4 and still miss out (think they have a good chance to beat the Dogs).

More importantly though, isn't it great to be able to have discussions like this now? This time last year we were 6-11 and looking to next year. Nice to have something to play for in the remaining month of the year :thumbsu:

Think B J Goldwyn may have to change his movie script a little.

Can still start off with how he left the Saints.

But then leave out all that stuff about the drugged up Dankenstein experiment and simply stay with the Saints.

And continue with the Saints.

And continue with the Saints.....

Hells yes, we pumped the Bombers

Was sitting at the came with a couple of people from work, one was a Swiss guy who supported Essendon , but didn't know what was going on with the % and was totally confused why the Saints supporters were going crazier as the lead blew out.

Anyone remember the last h/a game of 2008? :D

Remember it well but even as good as that was we have to make up 300 points on North. The only way you can make up big margins like that is when you play them because it a double turn around. If we beat North I would suggest it will be a small margin so that will leave 4 games to turn around 300 points. Cant see it at all. The best case scenario is we just win more games than North because relying on percentage will probably get us very disappointed.

Best part of that for me, was living here in Adelaide. I knew many a Crows fan who was so darn certain they were home and hosed at 4th, that they flipping booked flights to Melbourne for the first final.

That week around town for me... soooooo goooooood...

Really feel like we're a chance, but so much is riding on this week's game. Beat North and the side will have that extra bit of confidence to take them into the final four rounds. We have played our best when we have brought the intensity that defines players like Weller, Newnes and co. and we have looked our worst when we have lacked it.

Have us playing for the 8th spot could see us come home with a wet sail, the exposure to finals football ahead of schedule could do wonders for the development this group.

What week would we anticipate actually going into 8th spot? From what I can see, we COULD get in there as early as Round 21, but it's more likely going to be down to the wire. Just psychologically, there's a difference between chasing 8th and defending it.

Yikes... just did the ladder predictor, and had us finishing 8th... and Crows finishing 5th... That'd mean we come back over here to play at Adelaide Oval again...

tumblr_ljry5cYRfQ1qixleeo1_500.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back