Strategy Can the Saints make the finals this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn - Still 2 games clear of anyone else. It's also more about their performance vs the relative standard of the competition.

The thing is, other teams don't look like hitting a rich vein of form.

Geelong - lost to us and still fragile if pressure is brought to them on any ground except skilled.
Adelaide - not so convincing on the MCG, where grand finals are played. Took some time to beat Melbourne.
GWS - First finals, ever! Didn't get out of 2nd gear against Port until half time. Just concerns about experience.
Sydney - has lost to Hawthorn in Sydney, so big question mark on performance on MCG.
Dogs - too many injuries
West Coast - worse than last year
North - will bomb out of 8
Saints - Mav gonna chin anyone who gets in our way

Basically, Hawthorn are likely to get an armchair ride into the grand final, where barring St Kilda, they would have the better of every other team.
fixed it

Really interesting game this week. If we can beat North then we are honestly a bit better than 50/50. We should beat Carlton and Brisbane, if we can't beat them then there's no point even making finals because we obviously aren't up to that standard yet. But honestly, I can see us beating North in a close one, beating Carlton, losing to Sydney, the Richmond one will be very close as they're a pretty up-and-down performer this year and then beating Brisbane. Really importantly 3/5 games of our season left are at Etihad, and the other 2 the MCG. The fact we don't have to travel is HUGE. We have been flogged interstate this year. A real weakness we need to fix.

At the moment I'd say we are about 40/60 to make finals. But if we win this weekend, then our main rival for 8th registers another loss and we get a win with a run home that has a fair few winnable games. This time next week will be VERY interesting.

Even if tomorrow's a loss, there's a slight chance that west coast might be toast (pun intended).

Collingwood has beaten them on mcg for 20 years
Freo over there might get interesting
Gws will Win against them at spotless
Hawthorn will win against them despite being interstate
Adelaide in Adelaide will challenge them again (despite good record)

No. We will either beat North, and it will be a week by week proposition, or we will lose and we will miss finals.

At a certain point, mathematical chances, even well reasoned ones, have to be ignored.

We need to beat North, and win 2 more than them from our last 4. That is the only scenario in which we play finals, at least for my own sanity.

No. We will either beat North, and it will be a week by week proposition, or we will lose and we will miss finals.

At a certain point, mathematical chances, even well reasoned ones, have to be ignored.

We need to beat North, and win 2 more than them from our last 4. That is the only scenario in which we play finals, at least for my own sanity.
We have to beat them but if we end up with equal games we would likely just have to beat Brisbane by 60+ points unless we get smashed by Sydney

We have to beat them but if we end up with equal games we would likely just have to beat Brisbane by 60+ points unless we get smashed by Sydney
2008 jump fron 8->4 v Essendon says that's possible.

Until 3 Quarter time against Brisbane in that exact scenario and we're 50 points up, I'm not believing it

2008 jump fron 8->4 v Essendon says that's possible.

Until 3 Quarter time against Brisbane in that exact scenario and we're 50 points up, I'm not believing it
Paddy to kick his first Bag. Membrey, Riewoldt , Bruce, Gresh, and Billings all to break their own records for goals /game.

Even if tomorrow's a loss, there's a slight chance that west coast might be toast (pun intended).
Actually that is a ryhme and not a pun :)

I would say momentum gives Saints the best chance to make a run at the finals. You can see confidence increase every week, and the combination of mature and break out players adds to the mix. I am happy with every win!

KJ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see how we can make it if we lose today, the Dogs might be the one to drop out if injuries decimate them but they play Essendon and Freo on the way home which should be wins even with half the team out.

The Brisbane game has me really worried for some reason. It's almost too easy a last game to the point where we could just not turn up and they do and they can score when they turn up. A lot to go for that to even be a factor though.

I can't see how we can make it if we lose today, the Dogs might be the one to drop out if injuries decimate them but they play Essendon and Freo on the way home which should be wins even with half the team out.

The Brisbane game has me really worried for some reason. It's almost too easy a last game to the point where we could just not turn up and they do and they can score when they turn up. A lot to go for that to even be a factor though.
If we lose tonight we need North to lose the last four and us win the last four, which would include a win at Etihad vs the Swans.

So we can still make it but gee it makes it a heck of a lot harder. Near impossible.

If we lose tonight we need North to lose the last four and us win the last four, which would include a win at Etihad vs the Swans.

So we can still make it but gee it makes it a heck of a lot harder. Near impossible.
Yep playing for extreme luck, Dogs v North looking close to a 50/50 now and Sydney are a very good team. If North get us I fear momentum will build, they'll beat the Dogs and then it definitely is curtains

That would mean you have us losing against the Blues or Tigers? We should have both those teams covered and if we don't then we don't deserve to play finals. I also reckon North will beat the Dogs

North might beat the Dogs now after last night. I was trying not to be too optimistic and figured we'd lose to the Tiges but you're right, we should beat them if we think we're ready to play finals

North might beat the Dogs now after last night. I was trying not to be too optimistic and figured we'd lose to the Tiges but you're right, we should beat them if we think we're ready to play finals

Bloody oath we should beat them. They've lost by a combined 160 odd points the past fortnight & scored 8 goals in that time. They're in as bad form as anybody. Blues definitely a danger game. I wouldn't be surprised to see us knock off Sydney seeing as it's a Sat night Etihad game.

never for one second thought we'd make finals this year. even before tonight when our boys would have been confident

way too inconsistent at this stage. work on some consistency and we'll be right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back