Strategy Can the Saints make the finals this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to agree. Seems very arrogant for a side who has one flag to not want to play finals. We wont this year but it would be fantastic if we did.

Almost impossible. Prob need to only drop one game & the Roos to drop a few 50/50's.

Only game I'd rule us out of winning is the Swans. Rest of them, whilst challenging, are all winnable games. We just need to be good enough. North has Collingwood on Friday night, then they play us (huge game), and the last four for them are all against sides in the 8. I think North will only win 12 games this year...would be massive if the Pies can upset them on Friday, then we beat them the week after and we're equal with them on points.

If there's a game I really want to win from here on it's the Dogs games. I had us penciled in to nab 1/2 games against the Dogs, think we're a real go. Tigers pushed them last week.

Someone's going to fall in there, might as well try to make it us. Whoever finishes 5th will be a bloody good team but have to be in it to win it. Create a winning culture.

Do we want to?
Hell yeah. You cant practice big game experience at training. Win or lose a final it would be massive for some of the kids .
Imagine the Gresh in the fwd pocket at the G in an Elimination final twisting & turning so much that his opponents feet snap off.

Will we get there?
Probably not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Gold Coast game is just staring at us all. Laughing.
The loss to North seems pretty big now. It's good we got to hold out some hope for finals but think we are still a year off. Hopefully it will help the boys play out the year strongly.

You guys are the favourites to take 8th even if you lose to us and Swans, North and Port won't win enough games.

I'd love to have you guys in the finals to be honest, your footy is really enjoyable to watch and it would be great to see another young side in the finals. I'm pretty nervous about next week, your boys will be fired up knowing that finals is within reach.

This week probably decides it, if we can somehow snatch a win against the dogs in a completely opposite performance to round 2, Port lose to GWS and the pies beat north, we'd be half a shout, then if we can beat north, we'd be definitely a good chance as long as we don't drop a game we shouldn't. Equally happy if we don't make it though, we're still a way off being a consistently good team, would just be good to have that excitement after 6 years (I know it's 5 but for some reason I didn't even watch the 2011 final).

Not sure what's more exciting, watching North freefall their way to an epic capitulation, or us playing finals.

You guys are the favourites to take 8th even if you lose to us and Swans, North and Port won't win enough games.

I'd love to have you guys in the finals to be honest, your footy is really enjoyable to watch and it would be great to see another young side in the finals. I'm pretty nervous about next week, your boys will be fired up knowing that finals is within reach.

Thanks mate, you're right it's not worth having Norf play finals again with their old campaigners on life support.

Could happen if we beat north as its their spot that's up for grabs . They have a very hard run home as does port .
The thing that could make us beating North really hard is that it's looking like being Boomer Harvey's all-time games record breaking match, which ought to give them enormous motivation to be up and about, just in case a spot in the finals wasn't enough to play for.

Just played with it as well and yeah, we definitely have a shot at finals if we beat Norf, Richmond, Carlton and Brisbane and only drop the Dogs and Sydney which isnt entirely crazy. I think that we will only win 2 or 3 of them though and fall short.

The thing that could make us beating North really hard is that it's looking like being Boomer Harvey's all-time games record breaking match, which ought to give them enormous motivation to be up and about, just in case a spot in the finals wasn't enough to play for.
NEVER underestimate North Melbourne's ability to choke.. and choke hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back