Can we afford all of De Goey, Grundy, and Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll tell you all one thing for free,

I am SICK and TIRED of these contract negotiations hanging over the pies year after year after year.

It started like 7 years ago when Cloke held out for a big deal with Carlton and Fremantle make big offers.
When in the last how ever many years have we not entered a season without media hype around a) a star player out of contract and not signed b) some sort of club scandal.

Then try being a GWS supporter! Club has lots of young, gun players and very few playing in their home state.
Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio, Whitfield, Cameron all being subject to rumours of being poached with serious, long term offers and players like Treloar and Adams actually departing for Collingwood ,Shiel for Essendon etc.

Alternately Suns supporters watching O'Meara, Ablett, Jack Martin, Lynch, May departing.

Brisbane going back a few years ago when they lost Yeo, Polec, Docherty all of whom would be top 5 paid at their current clubs (Longer, Karnezis) in one year. Then Aish subsequently

Successful, well-managed clubs lose few players they wish to keep.
Other than Beams, who we can see even clearer these days is a 'special' case, who have we had depart, yet wanted to retain, despite all the rumours by the media and angst on this board?

North for DeGoey, Moore to Sydney, Grundy to Adelaide, Freo for Langdon even Cloke that you quote.

Honestly, if it not the injuries due to State of Origin commitments, it is the contracts that some people feel the need to panic about.

Then try being a GWS supporter! Club has lots of young, gun players and very few playing in their home state.
Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio, Whitfield, Cameron all being subject to rumours of being poached with serious, long term offers and players like Treloar and Adams actually departing for Collingwood ,Shiel for Essendon etc.

Alternately Suns supporters watching O'Meara, Ablett, Jack Martin, Lynch, May departing.

Brisbane going back a few years ago when they lost Yeo, Polec, Docherty all of whom would be top 5 paid at their current clubs (Longer, Karnezis) in one year. Then Aish subsequently

Successful, well-managed clubs lose few players they wish to keep.
Other than Beams, who we can see even clearer these days is a 'special' case, who have we had depart, yet wanted to retain, despite all the rumours by the media and angst on this board?

North for DeGoey, Moore to Sydney, Grundy to Adelaide, Freo for Langdon even Cloke that you quote.

Honestly, if it not the injuries due to State of Origin commitments, it is the contracts that some people feel the need to panic about.
True, I can understand it because we as fans commit to our clubs unconditionally every year but see players in theory making a decision about whether they will leave or stay. It is not hard to see why it causes supporters anxiety.

It's never much of an issue really. Anyway I don't care about his sexuality except for the lack of father and sons if he plays the 100 games. It's never bothered me, but it would be a shame if someone did leave because they felt it would be easier out of Melbourne for those reasons I outlined.

I sometimes wonder if the people who refuse to accept really hate the idea of their favourite player being gay. Good luck to him when does finally come out

We are a big chance this year, Moore will be a superstar.
Especially if the boys mentioned in this thread get a clear run. Win the flag and they will stay for another one.

So now that we've got Brodes on side, Moore and JDG I bet will be going balls out to up their value. If they can stay on the park and perform consistently like super captain then yes we're a massive massive chance.

I'd like to read their mind, do they want money more or do they want flag more? Regardless of what they want you can bet your bottom dollar they'll be more intent on playing really good footy than previously - because it's the last year of contract.

I've raised this with interesting replies in the Pies window thread on the main board.

So now that we've got Brodes on side, Moore and JDG I bet will be going balls out to up their value. If they can stay on the park and perform consistently like super captain then yes we're a massive massive chance.

I'd like to read their mind, do they want money more or do they want flag more? Regardless of what they want you can bet your bottom dollar they'll be more intent on playing really good footy than previously - because it's the last year of contract.

I've raised this with interesting replies in the Pies window thread on the main board.
I know Moore is not his father but he has stated he wished he'd stayed at Collingwood, different time, different situation but hoping Moore has stronger ties growing up a Collingwood supporter and his Dad being who he was. I like the fact he took his Dad's number.

JDG, who knows.

I like that they came to the Club together, not sure how they are as friends these days but draft night was encouraging and both have come a long way since. Best solution for me, win a flag, stay for another.

In a footy sense he probably is but in an AFL city you would have to act straight. In Sydney people would not bat an eyelid because they only know the high profile players like Buddy.

Is that you Issy?

I sometimes wonder if the people who refuse to accept really hate the idea of their favourite player being gay. Good luck to him when does finally come out

He could run down Flinders street in a rainbow mankini shouting I'm gay and happy and I wouldn't care, in fact I'd be wrapped - shows he's impervious to vulnerability.

Just get us a flag! or two! or even three!

I like our list and yes we've been close to the silverware these past 2 seasons but a team who missed 4 consecutive final series prior and hasn't won a flag in close to a decade shouldn't be in a situation where they possibly can't afford to keep all of their absolute best and required players.

Hell Hawthorn might have lost Franklin along the way but they still replaced him with the likes McEvoy, Frawley and Lake during their period of 4 consecutive grand finals.

How the hell could they afford all their riches if we can't?

If anyone has a salary cap squeeze it should be a Richmond or West Coast surely and yet the Tigers signed Lynch and the Eagles landed Kelly and have lost no one of real significance in the process.

Losing a de Goey or Moore would be significant.

Pretty peeved we've put ourselves in this situation and can only hope we find a way out of it.

If Moore goes the inside word is that he is more likely to go interstate, principally to a club like Sydney for lifestyle reasons rather than a Melbourne-based club. In that case the $ would be less important. As Browne says (and who would believe anything he says), he's more likely to stay though.
Haha, inside word. What a laugh. The rumours and innuendo that you refer to went around prior to him re-signing last time.

They disappeared after he signed, and they are suddenly back again. Give it a rest.

Last edited:
I like our list and yes we've been close to the silverware these past 2 seasons but a team who missed 4 consecutive final series prior and hasn't won a flag in close to a decade shouldn't be in a situation where they possibly can't afford to keep all of their absolute best and required players.

Hell Hawthorn might have lost Franklin along the way but they still replaced him with the likes McEvoy, Frawley and Lake during their period of 4 consecutive grand finals.

How the hell could they afford all their riches if we can't?

If anyone has a salary cap squeeze it should be a Richmond or West Coast surely and yet the Tigers signed Lynch and the Eagles landed Kelly and have lost no one of real significance in the process.

Losing a de Goey or Moore would be significant.

Pretty peeved we've put ourselves in this situation and can only hope we find a way out of it.

Pretty sure in the fine print that the "Salary Cap" only applies to Collingwood. Pretty sure I read that somewhere;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he still wants to stay in this toxic culture. :) Don't think we can sign anyone anytime soon.

He won't Leave. Best Mate with Grundy.

We can talk but can't Submit any Official Contract

Stars rarely leave unless they have a falling out with the coach or something is wrong culturally and the team is underperforming.
Possibly go home factor can have an influence too.
Not when a team is in the window and is yet to taste GF success.

Lachie Neale hated Lyon and the shadow of Fyfe. Freo was uncompetitive and Brisbane had a coach who players liked and some talent.
Beams had a gambling problem and needed the $. His father's health and his ambivalence toward Bucks style also had an influence.
Saints threw big money at Brad Hill and landed him because Freo wasn't successful and a happy place under Fyfe/Lyon.
Treloar was in a cap squeeze and wanted to return to Victoria with an immediate chance of success.

Otherwise it is generally bit part players who get squeezed out - Butler, Ellis, Aish who can command more $.

Moore and De Goey have both declared they want to stay. They remain very little risk of departing and when you're comfortable and earning $700-800k per season, the relativities of $200-300k more isn't that great. Both are Victorians too.

To me, the bigger risk maybe someone like Brody Mihocek. Vitally important to us and could possibly command double the pay elsewhere.
Was playing for peanuts until he was 25 (even once he started at the Pies).
There is a bigger relative gap between $300k to $600k and he's in his late 20's now as a KPP.

Jaidyn Stephenson also more of a risk of being squeezed and would appear to also have some issues with managing his finances.
Would he walk if say Hawthorn offered him twice the money?

Stars rarely leave unless they have a falling out with the coach or something is wrong culturally and the team is underperforming.
Possibly go home factor can have an influence too.
Not when a team is in the window and is yet to taste GF success.

Lachie Neale hated Lyon and the shadow of Fyfe. Freo was uncompetitive and Brisbane had a coach who players liked and some talent.
Beams had a gambling problem and needed the $. His father's health and his ambivalence toward Bucks style also had an influence.
Saints threw big money at Brad Hill and landed him because Freo wasn't successful and a happy place under Fyfe/Lyon.
Treloar was in a cap squeeze and wanted to return to Victoria with an immediate chance of success.

Otherwise it is generally bit part players who get squeezed out - Butler, Ellis, Aish who can command more $.

Moore and De Goey have both declared they want to stay. They remain very little risk of departing and when you're comfortable and earning $700-800k per season, the relativities of $200-300k more isn't that great. Both are Victorians too.

To me, the bigger risk maybe someone like Brody Mihocek. Vitally important to us and could possibly command double the pay elsewhere.
Was playing for peanuts until he was 25 (even once he started at the Pies).
There is a bigger relative gap between $300k to $600k and he's in his late 20's now as a KPP.

Jaidyn Stephenson also more of a risk of being squeezed and would appear to also have some issues with managing his finances.
Would he walk if say Hawthorn offered him twice the money?
Why do you think Stephenson has issues managing finances? Just curious?

True, I can understand it because we as fans commit to our clubs unconditionally every year but see players in theory making a decision about whether they will leave or stay. It is not hard to see why it causes supporters anxiety.

yeh we commit unconditionally and then second-guess every decision the club makes....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back