Can we afford all of De Goey, Grundy, and Moore

Pretty sure we can but won't stop the Media saying we can't.

Be used for Clickbait until both Re-Sign l.

Though both could want 1 Million Dollar a Year Contracts

Yes we can if they take what many other club champions do - unders. 800k instead of 1mil plus.

and Do what Tigers did with Martin saying he get rest of Money when they Retire and work for a Business that is Connected to Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Forethought

Team Captain
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
With Wells reducing his final year of his contract to match payments and incentives post the last list lodgement this would give us a solid $400-450k extra this year. That allows for a roll over to the following year based on the rules of the game.
After next year Mayne probably doesn’t play and that’s estimated at a $500k , so without any other massive list changes and natural retirements we look ok.
With Pendles having say 2 more years it allows us a bit of back ending De-Goey and Grundys contracts.
Winning a flag helps in players taking unders.
Seir is a big one that we maybe forced to pay forward next year based on demand as he’s the natural replacement for Pendles.
Our you mids of Daicos , Brown & Brown will be prime in 12-24 months or no good.

Should’ve kept Witts.

Could’ve still had a top five ruck in the competition and pissed off Grundy for pick one this year. Not to mention cap space. Instead we got pick 475 for Witts.

He left for better opportunities, he’s played 40 games with the Suns, and no way would he have played anywhere near that many for us.

But yeah, I agree with the disappointment at having had to let him go for stuff all.

He left for better opportunities, he’s played 40 games with the Suns, and no way would he have played anywhere near that many for us.

But yeah, I agree with the disappointment at having had to let him go for stuff all.

Shows how bad a Job Gubby did

It’s a shame he never kicked on as a forward. Not that much shorter than Cox but seems to lack the agility and the ability to put the ball into the right spots for teammates in general play.

Obviously, two years ago the suggestion of keeping Witts and trading Grundy three years down the track would’ve looked farcical. Transactionally though, I think we would’ve come out further in front doing just that.

Gee i hope so TradeDraft,
But as we have seen with so many players over the years and i can not blame them money talks.
Heck it even happened at Collingwood in the 1970's as in players leaving.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
We don’t have the best record against the Gold Coast. Even last year despite the comfortable margin we gave ourselves headaches.

But he's not exactly about to become a premiership ruckman and rub it in our faces. We made the correct call at the time but I would have thought we would have made sure we got more for him. We only invested in and developed him since he was bloody 14...

Shows how bad a Job Gubby did

All those players going for nothing seemed awful at the time, but it's helped us as we were simply getting rid of all the blokes whose kicking was irredeemable. Witts was just unfortunate - the Melbourne clubs didn't seem to rate him correctly and The Suns were the only ones who seemed to want him.

It’s probably part of the contract negotiation dance.

Grundy’s manager somehow (indirectly) gets Bickley to put a media article out there about how much Grundy would be worth to the Crows.

Collingwood’s management responds somehow (indirectly) by getting the media to speciulate whether they can fit everyone under the salary cap.

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
From Jay Clark ....

Collingwood faces one of the biggest list management challenges in the league, fitting in pay rises for Jordan De Goey and Brodie Grundy.
Grundy could sign a contract as long as seven years, with many Pies taking longer contracts and the security that goes with it instead of big cash deals.
De Goey and 2020 free agent Grundy are both out of contract at the end of next season and are likely to command the best part of $1 million a year on their next deals.

But the Pies remain confident they can lock away the duo in the same manner West Coast signed stars Jeremy McGovern and Andrew Gaff last year.
But what does it mean for some of the other stars at the Pies?
Darcy Moore is another who comes out of contract next year and has started the season in career-best form down back.
Collingwood will have to make some savings in other areas to balance the books, particularly with a stacked midfield featuring new recruit Dayne Beams.

All those players going for nothing seemed awful at the time, but it's helped us as we were simply getting rid of all the blokes whose kicking was irredeemable. Witts was just unfortunate - the Melbourne clubs didn't seem to rate him correctly and The Suns were the only ones who seemed to want him.

We Sold low and Brought High.

Should be other way around

Go Woods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
No brainer, both must be retained long term and paid handsomely in their long term deals offered. Pies will structure their contracts smartly.

Thefly38

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal , LA Clippers , Seattle SH
Grundy strikes me as a loyal bloke.

I know you’ve got to make hay while the sun shines but he genuinely seems to enjoy being at Collingwood.

Alarmingly I can picture him in a sport guernsey but I really hope he sticks fat.

The length of rumoured deal and thus security gets you a bit of a discount imo

Back