Can we afford all of De Goey, Grundy, and Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

It's an interesting discussion.

Grundy is the best player in the league and only just turned 25.

De Goey is only 23 and is probably the best impact player to come into the league since Franklin. When he plays forward, he's our best forward and when he plays mid, he's our best mid. The guy's a superstar and is worth a bucket of cash.

WCE managed to hold onto McGovern and Gaff last year, but Grundy and De Goey are collectively better and worth more overall.

The last three times a club at the top end of the ladder went through a similar situation, Ablett went to the Gold Coast, Franklin went to Sydney and Thomas went to Carlton (lol Carlton).

I think we'll keep them, but we've got our work cut out to do so. Some other blokes will be taking unders, especially if we win the flag this year.

Agree, hopefully....and we prey there is at least one flag in this group.
Absolutely.

Nice bunch.
Quite a bit of strong talent.

Get it done.

pick one would only be the starting point, they will have to find a way to give us a ready made good ruckman so we actually have a ruck to play round 1 2020. But I dont think he is going to leave
Pick 1, 2020 first round pick and Reilly O'Brien

Very intriguing story

Of course he's going to get back to Adelaide at some point in his life
After he signs his next contract with Collingwood (however long and how much)
he goes back for his superannuation payment from the Crows or Power

Agree only way Grundy plays for a SA side be for when he is 32/33 years old and We have a Young Ruck Coming Thru

That's why I initially brought up the worse than expectation play of our current player. Sidebottom, Beams, Crisp, Howe, Pendlebury, Adams, Thomas are all performing to a weaker standard than they did in 2018. The thing each of them have in common is that they're over 25 and in that age bracket where matching with the club's recent and now not so recent history the same story of the same problems is being told again.

In a lighter form hopefully as fingers crossed there are no Dale Thomas, Didak or Reid type stories where they fall off the cliff and become irrelevant overnight, but we're still seeing progressive drops in keeping with the drops we've seen of Pendlebury and before him Swan, where the drop offs are more pronounced still than would be expected when looking at veteran performance past and present from other competitive sides.

I'm sorry but those in bold absolutely aren't, Pendlebury is outperforming his 2018 output, Adams was fantastic for the few games he played, and Crisp has been just as outstanding. Sidebottom is still clearly the best wingman int he league, but slightly down on 2018 output. The only concern of that group for me is Thomas.

If he's set on leaving use him to get Cameron, would be the only way of getting similar talent back while we are in the window.

I'm sorry but those in bold absolutely aren't, Pendlebury is outperforming his 2018 output, Adams was fantastic for the few games he played, and Crisp has been just as outstanding. Sidebottom is still clearly the best wingman int he league, but slightly down on 2018 output. The only concern of that group for me is Thomas.

Pendlebury's form has picked up since I made these comments with his last month better though his tackling and the defensive side to his game has seen some regression this year.

Adams is a good mid but has been good rather than great when available. He needs to string more games together before his season can really be judged.

Jack Crisp has had a good month but isn't quite on the elite level he was last year.

Sidebottom over the past month is another who has improved since his slow start to the season but Whitfield rather than Sidebottom is clearly the best wingman in the league. Whitfield is a top ten player in the competition on form. Sidebottom I while I had him in that conversation last year isn't having that same special season and has regressed from his once in a career level season he enjoyed in 2018.

Josh Thomas on form I don't feel should be holding his spot. No more than 18 disposals in a game, averaging less than two tackles per game and only the 10 goals from 9 games.

--
While a the vast majority of players on the list have not performed to 2018 levels. Brodie Grundy is maintaining along with De Goey and Stephenson. Moore is healthy and Elliott has been available. Treloar has been a little better. Ben Reid is playing an excellent brand of footy and is clearly able to play which wasn't clear last year.

So as with any season, just as there are negatives, there are also positives.

Pick 1, 2020 first round pick and Reilly O'Brien

Might sound like a lot. But Adelaide convincingly win that deal. Grundy is the best in the competition.

Pick 1 this year is nice and I'd use it on Noah Anderson (think De Goey with better midfield capabilities). The 2020 pick could become something and is a nice liquid asset and O'Brien is a serviceablish ruckman with his mobility.

Brodie Grundy is the reason Collingwood is relevant. Lose him and Collingwood are lucky to finish inside the top 8 if you replace him with O'Brien. That's not disrespecting O'Brien, but Grundy is one of two great ruckmen in the competition with everyone else is several tiers below with probably Rowan Marshall that next best among a crowded pack. Collingwood's midfield despite Grundy's brilliance has gone from good on paper to overrated with Pendlebury at 29th the only mid inside the top 30 for clearances at the club as a much weaker clearance/centre clearance team than should be the case.

Pick 1 on traded for Jeremy Cameron is the only way we break even on this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we even talkiy about this?
Is it really even remotely a ' thing ' ?
It’s important for us to plan how we get Oxley back on our list if we want to take the next step.

yeah this is stupid, we haven't won a premiership with these guys yet. Push hard the next two years, then who gives a s**t if we've won one? If players wanna go then, we get the best we can for them. If we don't win one, the hype bus will move onto other players, as clearly these guys will have decreased in value.

Why are we even talkiy about this?
Is it really even remotely a ' thing ' ?
We're talking about it because the media are telling us to. We're stooges.
Week 1 everyone talk about booing
Week 2 Abletts elbows
Week 3 Brodie Grundy is from SA and may want to go home at some stage.

Next week I'm predicting that we'll be told to talk about whether or not players should carry water bottles in order to be better role models for young kids. We'll oblige. Im personally outraged by the suggestion.

Agree,
Thomas though is as reliable as a sun dial.
Not flashy but pops up and kicks clutch goals week after week.

We're blessed to have a side where each week a different forward can excel with 4 or 5.
They seem to be on a roster system. Thomas needs to get on it.
DeGoey, Stephenson, Mihocek, The Hyphon, Cox, Thomas, Elliot, Reid all genuine forward options, not forgetting Moore and Howe who could both flourish in our forward line if required.
Nearly every other player is a quality mid who could go forward.

We are in a golden patch.

If Hawthorn can afford a triple premiership side I bloody well hope so!

Well, you’d probably also trade Grundy and DeGoey out for Jack Watts and Marc Murphy if it meant winning a triple Premiership?

Agree,
Thomas though is as reliable as a sun dial.
Not flashy but pops up and kicks clutch goals week after week.

We're blessed to have a side where each week a different forward can excel with 4 or 5.
They seem to be on a roster system. Thomas needs to get on it.
DeGoey, Stephenson, Mihocek, The Hyphon, Cox, Thomas, Elliot, Reid all genuine forward options, not forgetting Moore and Howe who could both flourish in our forward line if required.
Nearly every other player is a quality mid who could go forward.

We are in a golden patch.

Yep. Our forward line is on fire, but the forwards we target with our kicks only get about 15 possessions. I'm not sure why so many expect regular 20 possession games from the guys whose main job is to get front and square and hope some scraps fall their way. Their offensive job is to get into dangerous spots for spillage and be clean if anything falls their way. Varcoe has been a bit fumbly and been dropped a couple of times. Thomas and Brown have had clean hands. They all play their role well. Thomas kicks a few more goals because he spreads more aggressively, the downside is that he applies less pressure because he sometimes guesses wrong and spreads when we don't win the footy.

Yep. Our forward line is on fire, but the forwards we target with our kicks only get about 15 possessions. I'm not sure why so many expect regular 20 possession games from the guys whose main job is to get front and square and hope some scraps fall their way. Their offensive job is to get into dangerous spots for spillage and be clean if anything falls their way. Varcoe has been a bit fumbly and been dropped a couple of times. Thomas and Brown have had clean hands. They all play their role well. Thomas kicks a few more goals because he spreads more aggressively, the downside is that he applies less pressure because he sometimes guesses wrong and spreads when we don't win the footy.

Even harder for small forwards when the opposition dominate game time in their forward half like much of Saturday's game.

Just looking at our higher end contract situation - Wells (reduced his contract already), Reid, Goldsack, Broomhead, Dunn, Greenwood, all out of contract this year. Then Mayne only in 2020 which hopefully was front ended.

Maybe we will have more salary space?

Just looking at our higher end contract situation - Wells (reduced his contract already), Reid, Goldsack, Broomhead, Dunn, Greenwood, all out of contract this year. Then Mayne only in 2020 which hopefully was front ended.

Maybe we will have more salary space?

Hard to gauge without knowing the specifics of every contract but as with every club, there is only about $1.2M between 95% and 105% of TPP. Gives confidence though that a club like GWS can manage all of their stars under their TPP.

Hard to gauge without knowing the specifics of every contract but as with every club, there is only about $1.2M between 95% and 105% of TPP. Gives confidence though that a club like GWS can manage all of their stars under their TPP.

Not sure that I'd be taking too much confidence from GWS's recent history: Treloar, Adams, Shiel, Scully

Remove this Banner Ad

Back