Can we all spare a moment for Lids

Remove this Banner Ad

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Brett Deledio plays game number 250 on Saturday in the Prelim against the Tigers. Hopefully.he'll make it to 300 over the coming years but who knows.

I think you've got to feel a little for the guy celebrating this milestone against the Tiger army in their first Preliminary final since well, yonks. He will be necessarily the enemy to the club he gave 12 years of service, while in his first year and 7th game at his new club.

Briefly his career so far includes being taken as the number one draft pick in 2004. Debuted at 17 and played all 22 games in his first year, a rare achievement.
Rising star in 2005 and fulfilled that promise over the next 11 years as a stalwart and key player for the RFC.

It's the nature of the competition not to honour the opposition while there's a game to be won, but I hope there's time after the game for the crowd and the players to acknowlege his achievement whatever the result.
Sadly he's new to our club and while we've certainly adopted him, we dont know him that well yet.

Last edited:
Was very sad he was leaving but glad he did as much right as he could by helping secure as high of a pick for him as he could.....until some of the rumours about him in regards to the 2016 season and his behaviour came out. Lost a lot of respect for him due to some specific alleged behaviour

I really don't know how to feel about him.

I definitely won't be booing him on Saturday. I didn't really think Richmond were going to do they well this year and was dying for Lids to win a flag with the Giants. Obviously that's changed now but he gave a lot to this club, and while he may have been a bit of a dick in his last few years (rumours) he will always be a tiger in my eyes.

At one point he was the only shining light the club had throughout Deledio's earlier years at Richmond.

A very good player who has been cruelled by injuries. Probably would have been one known as of the best players in the comp had he played at either Hawthorn, Geelong or Sydney. Well deserving of the 250 milestone.

He comes from a small country town, Kyabram, after which Rex Hunt named a kick, the "mongrel finger breaking Kyabram punt", to me that describes Lids to a tee.

In what world does that describe Deledio's kicking?

Describes Lids, not his kicking, he gets amongst it and can mongrel like no other player. I saw him play against Melbourne and even though he didn't move very freely he still managed to nearly rock the rib cages out of a few players, and guys trying to tackle him, nearly had their fingers broke. That's why the expression Rex Hunt uses for a worm burning kick that can take the fingers off another player is also a good way to describe Lids. You wouldn't want that coming at you.

The Tigers never forget their champs and will be sure to send him off in the fashion that he's been accustomed to all these years. With a loss.

In my understanding didn't Richmond usually only win when Lids was playing for them? Garry Lyon, a world preeminent expert in AFL and also from Kyabram, noted that Richmond would not be able to beat an Auskick team without Lids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't boo him, lost a lot of respect for him though.

not really that into 250 game fanfare... something on a banner ok, but chairing off the player is too much for me. Especially now players are having longer careers, more games.

Describes Lids, not his kicking, he gets amongst it and can mongrel like no other player. I saw him play against Melbourne and even though he didn't move very freely he still managed to nearly rock the rib cages out of a few players, and guys trying to tackle him, nearly had their fingers broke. That's why the expression Rex Hunt uses for a worm burning kick that can take the fingers off another player is also a good way to describe Lids. You wouldn't want that coming at you.

I'll allow it.
Strange to hear though, most of the criticism through his career came from his alleged softness.

I'll allow it.
Strange to hear though, most of the criticism through his career came from his alleged softness.

I wouldn't have picked that, I'm serious about the rib cage thing, he bumped a player and the crowd nearby nearly vomited in sympathy.

There's only one time I've seen Lids not too crash hot, and that was in the Rexona Men's Challenge, now I don't really give too much of a s**t about the NRL, but in defence of Lids, Billy Slater is Thor's son, not metaphorically speaking as well. Thor fcuked WonderWoman and out came Billy Slater.

There's only one time I've seen Lids not too crash hot, and that was in the Rexona Men's Challenge, now I don't really give too much of a s**t about the NRL, but in defence of Lids, Billy Slater is Thor's son, not metaphorically speaking as well. Thor fcuked WonderWoman and out came Billy Slater.

Some of the best wisdom you'll read on BF, this.

Was very sad he was leaving but glad he did as much right as he could by helping secure as high of a pick for him as he could.....until some of the rumours about him in regards to the 2016 season and his behaviour came out. Lost a lot of respect for him due to some specific alleged behaviour

I really don't know how to feel about him.
I wasn't paying attention, but what was this?

Great player and love him as an ex, but the moment he runs out in an opposition jumper he's fair game.
Will the Tiger players hold back a little when going the crunch because he's a good mate? No chance, so the crowd should follow and give it to him as much as the other GWS players. Good luck on the 250th, but I hope he stinks it up big time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back