Can we do what Collingwood did in 2007?

Remove this Banner Ad

uncustom

All Australian
Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
On Saturday, It will be our second ever semi final against Collingwood. We played the first semi final against Collingwood back in 2007, which saw us lose 19 points in extra time. This was unexpected considering that we were placed 3rd, and Collingwood were placed 6th at the end of the season. However, this time, its us who are outside the top 4.

Since 2000, when the finals system we currently have was put into place, Only 2 teams out of 24 have reached the prelims from outside the top 4.
In 2001, the hawks finished in 6th place, but found themselves winning by 3 points to a 3rd placed Port adelaide, they would lose then lose the prelim by 9 points.
The second team to make it to the prelims from outside the top 4 was collingwood in 2007. They managed to beat us in the semi final, however the next weak they lost to Geelong by just 5 points.

Does anyone here think that we would be able to beat Collingwood next week, and then perhaps go even further and beating Sydney? With the large win against North on Sunday, Im going for a 50/50 against Collingwood, and if we do win, I'm pretty sure we will bomb out to Sydney, by a 30+ margin, but who knows as the two teams who made the prelims from outside the top 4 lost by less than 2 goals, and if we do win, im sure we will have alot of confidence going into the prelims.

On Saturday, It will be our second ever semi final against Collingwood. We played the first semi final against Collingwood back in 2007, which saw us lose 19 points in extra time. This was unexpected considering that we were placed 3rd, and Collingwood were placed 6th at the end of the season. However, this time, its us who are outside the top 4.

Since 2001, when the finals system we currently have was put into place, Only 2 teams out of 24 have reached the prelims from outside the top 4.

No disrespect to the dead but we're probably no chance now that one of their ex players died today. We all know how well opposition play when one of their own is sick/dying.

RIP young man

Like the way Melbourne responded earlier this year?

Has no impact after the first 3 minutes.

The player from Ports passing (ex-Pie) will make it even tougher now. Turns out still has strong links with the Maggies. They will want to honor him so they will be all fired up:(

One of the biggest myths in footy. Often it can go the other way, from personal experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since 2000, when the finals system we currently have was put into place, Only 2 teams out of 24 have reached the prelims from outside the top 4.
In 2001, the hawks finished in 6th place, but found themselves winning by 3 points to a 3rd placed Port adelaide, they would lose then lose the prelim by 9 points.
The second team to make it to the prelims from outside the top 4 was collingwood in 2007. They managed to beat us in the semi final, however the next weak they lost to Geelong by just 5 points.

Does anyone here think that we would be able to beat Collingwood next week, and then perhaps go even further and beating Sydney? With the large win against North on Sunday, Im going for a 50/50 against Collingwood, and if we do win, I'm pretty sure we will bomb out to Sydney, by a 30+ margin, but who knows as the two teams who made the prelims from outside the top 4 lost by less than 2 goals, and if we do win, im sure we will have alot of confidence going into the prelims.

you forgot to mention the fact that we had 3 of the leagues best mids all out at that time of course that being- Judd, Cousins and Kerr and if i recall corectly also i think Hunter missed as well

you forgot to mention the fact that we had 3 of the leagues best mids all out at that time of course that being- Judd, Cousins and Kerr and if i recall corectly also i think Hunter missed as well

Ash Hansen (our leading goal scorer that year) went down during the first quarter too.

We should really have won that game, being 4 goals up nearing 3qtr time. Glass coming off and Rocca kicking 2 quick goals in less than a minute really ****ed us over. We also had a few shots on goal in the first minute of ET but we kept kicking points.

Ash Hansen (our leading goal scorer that year) went down during the first quarter too.

We should really have won that game, being 4 goals up nearing 3qtr time. Glass coming off and Rocca kicking 2 quick goals in less than a minute really screwed us over. We also had a few shots on goal in the first minute of ET but we kept kicking points.
Oh that's right i remember Glass destroyed Rocca all game think he kept him goaless, them moment Glass went t the pine we couldn't seem to clear the ball think he even chucked Lynch down there for a bit.

We should really have won that game, being 4 goals up nearing 3qtr time. Glass coming off and Rocca kicking 2 quick goals in less than a minute really screwed us over. We also had a few shots on goal in the first minute of ET but we kept kicking points.
Hopefully one of their defenders go off, and then Darling or Kennedy gets us 2 quick goals. That would be revenge.

From a stress point of view I'd much rather we cruise to a 10 goal victory. However, a part of me would love to see a replica of the 2007 final with the exception that *we* are the ones who snatch victory. Just so the Pie scum could feel some I pain I felt that night. Horrible memories.

From a stress point of view I'd much rather we cruise to a 10 goal victory. However, a part of me would love to see a replica of the 2007 final with the exception that *we* are the ones who snatch victory. Just so the Pie scum could feel some I pain I felt that night. Horrible memories.
Me too, only if I know the whole time that we will win. I get far too excited in games.

While history suggests it's difficult, this year the form of the 4th place team (Pies, obviously) has been decidedly average at the business end of the year. The talk of the pies showing spirit vs the Hawks may be true but they were flattered by Hawthorn's wayward kicking, should've won by ten goals. Firmly believe it's 50/50 and I don't buy into them having any 'advantage' from McCarthy's (tragic) passing. The danger with such emotions is that you are exhausted come game day or as posted above, the fire is gone after 5 minutes.

Given how poorly we've started in the past at the MCG, that could be the one danger of the pies' emotions running high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back