Can we drop Sauce please

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand what you are saying but for me the key to the game starts in the ruck, a dominate ruck wins you games as you get to play “your style” of footy. Lose the ruck and you are chasing jumpers all day.....in my opinion.

Our midfield is weakened we cannot afford to be losing or misdirecting ruck taps.

I disagree, it’s what the ruckman are able to do around the ground which is truly damaging. Your best ruckman only run at ~30% hit out to advantage, the average ones at 15-20%, it’s essentially random or at best of marginal benefit. Gawn and Grundy are the best rucks in the comp because of what they do around the ground, they get involved, use their massive bodies and become essentially another midfielder.

Winning hitouts is vastly overrated. In the GF, Sauce had 49 hitouts to Nankervis 28, Jenkins had 6 to their next best who had... 0 hitouts. Yesterday, Sauce had 41 hitouts, Freo’s rucks combined for 31 together.

Go have a look at the premiership ruckman of the past 20 years, it’s hardly a who’s who of ruckman. Plenty of average ruckman have become “premiership ruckman”.

We won hitouts 42-31 today, your all crazy to want to drop him ;)
Unfortunately the same thing will be said by the AFC without the sarcasm

We lost centre clearances, a more accurate ruck stat.
And then the injured midfielders will be left to bear the burden

The stats are right. The thing is his opponents today were Apeness and Scott Jones. That says it all. If he was in any sort of form he should have looked like an All Australian ruckman today.

Yep, if Sauce was anywhere near playing half decent footy, he would have destroyed them, like he was destroyed by Grundy, Gawn, Ryder... He’s spent, he’s trotting around with limited effort, content to win the hitout statistic and offer nothing more. Matthew “1 mark a game and I’m done” Clark offered more around the ground than Sauce is currently!

I have been saying our ruck stocks are concerning and we should have looked for a ruck last year. Yet people here were saying ROB was a gun and Hunter a good back up. Bit late to the party.

I disagree, it’s what the ruckman are able to do around the ground which is truly damaging. Your best ruckman only run at ~30% hit out to advantage, the average ones at 15-20%, it’s essentially random or at best of marginal benefit. Gawn and Grundy are the best rucks in the comp because of what they do around the ground, they get involved, use their massive bodies and become essentially another midfielder.

Winning hitouts is vastly overrated. In the GF, Sauce had 49 hitouts to Nankervis 28, Jenkins had 6 to their next best who had... 0 hitouts. Yesterday, Sauce had 41 hitouts, Freo’s rucks combined for 31 together.

Go have a look at the premiership ruckman of the past 20 years, it’s hardly a who’s who of ruckman. Plenty of average ruckman have become “premiership ruckman”.
Yep your correct, around the ground work is what truly makes your ruckman damaging. I agree.

Jacobs has been so mediocre this year....but after watching SANFL yesterday, I feel O'Brien is carrying an injured left shoulder... which must be saving Jacobs. Plus Hunter out with his ankle.. there is seriously no other options.
May as well play Otten in the ruck as pointless playing a cooked Sauce.

Has Hartigan ever rucked? Tall, mobile can take a mark around the ground. There has to be SOMEONE that can offer us more than Sauce feeding the opposition and doin stuff all around the ground.
Yes, we used JJ & Hartigan when Sauce was injured last time.

I would be more inclined to go with Otten & JJ if ROB's shoulder is a problem.

I have been saying our ruck stocks are concerning and we should have looked for a ruck last year. Yet people here were saying ROB was a gun and Hunter a good back up. Bit late to the party.

ROB played 2 games in 2016. Against slugs, but still, 14 disposals, 3 tackles and 3.5 clearances per game wasn't a bad start. Worth seeing whether there's more given how putrid Sauce has been.

ROB played 2 games in 2016. Against slugs, but still, 14 disposals, 3 tackles and 3.5 clearances per game wasn't a bad start. Worth seeing whether there's more given how putrid Sauce has been.
They have to make a call on ROB soon, so they need to give him a run in the AFL to see if he can cut it. This season is a bust (although Im sure they still think they can win the flag down there) so lets see who can do something.

They have to make a call on ROB soon, so they need to give him a run in the AFL to see if he can cut it. This season is a bust (although Im sure they still think they can win the flag down there) so lets see who can do something.

If Pyke learned anything from his first 2 years here it's that if you make the 8 anything can happen. We'll be going full bore until the mathematics fails us.

Well if we were gonna pick a season to tank this would be it, massive local talent in the draft and could see it being a ‘West Coast’ bottoming out in the fact it only lasts for a year.

If Pyke learned anything from his first 2 years here it's that if you make the 8 anything can happen. We'll be going full bore until the mathematics fails us.
I reckon our season is cooked, but it would be funny to sneak in & have an away final against Port with most of our players back...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goals....pfft.
Mate you have some radical ideas on how to win a game when obviously it’s all about ensuring the boys get a chance to redeem themselves from the last chance they were given to redeem themselves.....just go with that and the goals will take care of themselves......it’s actually all about continuity and at the moment unnecessary chances to redeem yourself is the only continuity we have.

I'm sitting here hoping I've missed the sarcasm with your post.

Pretty good in theory, but really only works if you are a Victorian team.

Outside of Melbourne if you finish outside the top four you can kiss the chance of a GF appearance goodbye. Our season is cooked, a token appearance in the bottom half of the 8 now means nothing.

Otten isn't that bad an idea, looks far more comfortable around the ground rucking than JJ

I have been saying for a long time JJ should have been spending more time in the ruck and earlier in a game, especially if Sauce is struggling and he is not getting into the game up forward. JJ has mobility and skill which is useful up the ground, and the longer he spends in ruck hopefully the more physical he can become and be a better ruckman. Long term he should be spending more time in the ruck anyway, we should be already slowly transitioning him towards the role...

Unfortunately if he's badly winged from the Freo game after that knock before half time, I can't see it happening, or at least not before the bye. We are lacking for options, Otten could be a short term fix, ROB should have been considered before now, but will we do it? Sauce has stunk it up for so long this year you just wonder what the hell has to happen for there to be some kind of change.

I have been saying for a long time JJ should have been spending more time in the ruck and earlier in a game, especially if Sauce is struggling and he is not getting into the game up forward. JJ has mobility and skill which is useful up the ground, and the longer he spends in ruck hopefully the more physical he can become and be a better ruckman. Long term he should be spending more time in the ruck anyway, we should be already slowly transitioning him towards the role...

Unfortunately if he's badly winged from the Freo game after that knock before half time, I can't see it happening, or at least not before the bye. We are lacking for options, Otten could be a short term fix, ROB should have been considered before now, but will we do it? Sauce has stunk it up for so long this year you just wonder what the hell has to happen for there to be some kind of change.

Are you serious. Why are we so obsessed with trying to find ways to make JJ a better footballer. He's rubbish, put a line through him and look at recruiting better options. Thankfully, he is 30 next year so we will only have to out up with for another 2-3 years one of the least physical, tough, instinctive big men that I have seen at the club .

Well if we were gonna pick a season to tank this would be it, massive local talent in the draft and could see it being a ‘West Coast’ bottoming out in the fact it only lasts for a year.

could be a really important year for us. review our list and coaches, test some new players and at the end of the year bring in some playing/coaching talent ready for another assault next year.

every single line of the club needs to be reviewed. players, coaching, fitness, administration.

i don't think we would ever deliberately tank but we are probably poor enough to lose our next 4 and then that will kill off the motivation of the players..besides those gunning for a contract (mackay).

could be a really important year for us. review our list and coaches, test some new players and at the end of the year bring in some playing/coaching talent ready for another assault next year.

every single line of the club needs to be reviewed. players, coaching, fitness, administration.

i don't think we would ever deliberately tank but we are probably poor enough to lose our next 4 and then that will kill off the motivation of the players..besides those gunning for a contract (mackay).

We'll get Smart and Harper onto that review forthwith. You can bet that any changes identified will be implemented.

I don't know that he's permanently cooked.

But right now he's playing just god awful football.

He's winning taps, but those are pretty much useless. He's shocking around the ground. Getting torn apart by young kids and looking slow. Not even getting to contests, let alone winning them.

Even worse though, if we don't have a ruck we think can put in a better performance, then that is damning. We know Sauce is getting older. And have known for a while. What are we doing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back