Roast Can we just calm the * down a bit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously this board has degenerated into too much spiteful name calling. You bunch of useless tossers. I would dearly love to see some civility maintained amongst our own and leave the pot shots to the supporters of, for example, the Dawks, Ninth mond, the Aints, the Wiggles, West Sydney and the like. We have a big final to win, then another few, then the big dance. So some positive vibes please cos we are in there up to our hairlines.

Great post. Way too much taking the eye off the ball (Geelong and whatever the club or players are doing) and going at the individual around here and has been so for years. I know no matter which side of an argument I fall on as soon as I see that in a topic I check out. Not worth it.

Post about Geelong. If what someone has said is so bad you feel like having a crack then report the post. Mods are quick and good here.

Last edited:
Problem is our prolonged period of spoilt success has created the attitude and entitlement that going deep into the finals and finishing top four is failure.

Much like a spoilt rich kid who gets accustomed to his sports cars and mansion in the hillside always wanting more and not appreciating the hard work and effort that goes in.

Most supporters as Brian cook pointed out a while ago are realistic and appreciative supporters. The others are just a minority.

When I started modding here the emphasis was on running the board and occassionally maintaining the peace.
It was a 70% external and 30% internal dynamic with what I dealt with.

Through the years, that dynamic has completley reversed and 70% of the issues are internal and 30% external now.

Debate and discusion is one thing and is supported with no issues.

However, repetitive scorn, dersion and petty baiting would be the number one issue I now face IMO. It leads to niggles, fights and people avoiding the place.
We do our best to dance the light fanstastic thru the landmines of opinion v trolling, and its a fine line, but the fact that it mostly comes internally is sad.

I've even had people attmept to use their good abiltiy with "mail" start false rumours to get people to bite and spread it in an attempt to suck people into a false rumour. From external posters its called the Scandals and Rumours board... but from GFC posters looking to bait their own..?!?!

The place has certainly changed.

Social media has a lot to answer for IMO.

Regardless - we will strive to make this a place for all GFC supporters to congregate and discuss their support and love of the Geelong Football Club irresepctive of the club being 1st or ...well some place down the bottom the of ladder we aint seen this millenium.

Go Catters

When I started modding here the emphasis was on running the board and occassionally maintaining the peace.

Through the years, that dynamic has completley reversed and 70% of the issues are internal and 30% external now.

However, repetitive scorn, dersion and petty baiting would be the number one issue I now face IMO. It leads to niggles, fights and people avoiding the place.
We do our best to dance the light fanstastic thru the landmines of opinion v trolling, and its a fine line, but the fact that it mostly comes internally is sad.

I've even had people attmept to use their good abiltiy with "mail" start false rumours to get people to bite and spread it in an attempt to suck people into a false rumour. From external posters its called the Scandals and Rumours board... but from GFC posters looking to bait their own..?!?!

Regardless - we will strive to make this a place for all GFC supporters to congregate and discuss their support and love of the Geelong Football Club irresepctive of the club being 1st or ...well some place down the bottom the of ladder we aint seen this millenium.

Go Catters

Agreed..... It has definitely changed, and I too think social media is a significant reason. I avoid it like the plague.

Anyhow, keep up the good work Daz.

that won't stop some ....

Yea it doesn't help. The slippery slope leading to now started fairly immediately after our last flag. Yes that's right I said immediately. Numerous negative topics and a generally sarcastic/s**t stirring and antagonistic tone from quite a few. How they couldn't be content at least for that off season I'll never know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yea it doesn't help. The slippery slope leading to now started fairly immediately after our last flag. Yes that's right I said immediately. Numerous negative topics and a generally sarcastic/s**t stirring and antagonistic tone from quite a few. How they couldn't be content at least for that off season I'll never know.
my user name, which is meant to be Can Die Happy (now that the cats have won a flag) came after the drought broke in 2007. That we went on and won another two is amazing. Of course I want us to win more flags, but I don't think that some posters have an appreciation of how difficult that is.

Of my 3 closest mates, one is a Saints member, one is a Demons member. Life could be (a lot) worse ......

my user name, which is meant to be Can Die Happy (now that the cats have won a flag) came after the drought broke in 2007. That we went on and won another two is amazing. Of course I want us to win more flags, but I don't think that some posters have an appreciation of how difficult that is.

Of my 3 closest mates, one is a Saints member, one is a Demons member. Life could be (a lot) worse ......
Going to get my on-topic sentiment out first: that even though I was only 16 for the 2007 flag - Dad's experiences with the near misses and then my own early journey with late 90s to mid 2000s mediocrity (with a few more close semi/PF losses, oh god the Sydney game) - was thinking I had a very long wait ahead for a flag. So not on the same level as someone who followed them from 63 through 95 as well, but I imagine a similar position to say a St Kilda fan now that was born in the mid 90s. Of course I get frustrated, but it's not quite as end of the world as if the drought was approaching 56 years.

Now I've earnt my off topic comment - for a while I didn't actually read your username properly and thought it was "candiehippy", so "Candie Hippy" ala Candy spelt weird, then hippy. Always thought it was a bit odd but that you were a free spirit.

for a while I didn't actually read your username properly and thought it was "candiehippy", so "Candie Hippy" ala Candy spelt weird, then hippy. Always thought it was a bit odd but that you were a free spirit
a number of posters have sent me a PM for access to my stash ....

getting called names is the norm when you post an alternate view, now dislikes are thrown in also

it's all very petty

some people just like living in their own little Geelong bubble
Is this deliberate irony Cynical? Having just read a post where you called someone a biased idiot?

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

My best mate goes for the saints. He's become a supporter of good football. Going to our match with him next week. I guess he had to find some way of not slitting his wrists.
I've seen my share of heartbreak going for the Cats (5 losing GF's) and the GF 's we one were some of the best days of my whole life.
But I never want our supporters going back to being happy with near enough is good enough.
Was listening to the radio the other day of a Saints player who got traded to the Hawks mid season.
His first game for the Hawks they went down by 6 points and he walked out to his wife pretty happy, and his wife was "Wow well done! You nearly won!"
And he said "You wouldn't believe this but they're in there crying! What's going on at this place"
They then went on to play in 7 Grand finals in a row.

I just thought you liked candy and couldn’t spell :D

The Qualifying Final in 2013 was ground zero in my view. Things altered significantly after that and haven't changed since.

Go Catters
Well said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back