Roast Can we just calm the * down a bit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Qualifying Final in 2013 was ground zero in my view. Things altered significantly after that and haven't changed since.
Same. Was bizarre. Or actually the year before when we went through a heap of games where we just couldn't win a first qr to save ourselves.
Just seemed weird. Why can't a coach rectify this even a little bit?

I've already seen a LOT of change this year.
However, even if you mean a change to the end result of the year, ie finals performance, you've gone early with the statement.
Have you written us off already this year?

No actually what happens on the field was almost irrelevant. I meant the way the interaction on here changed permanently after that game.

If you post stupid things you should expect a bit of it back imo

Otherwise I see no difference with the board compared to any of the other 24 weeks this season
What do you mean "post something stupid"?

Posters on this board have differing amounts of knowledge and football background. Other than one season in the reserves in the old south eastern league in my mid 20's, I stopped playing after the U18's. I'm lucky to see more than one game a season. Plus the one reserves games nearby. Other posters are female, never played. Some are currently playing. Age. I'm older. Some here are very young. Everyone comes in with a different knowledge base. So, who is the judge that sorts all that out.

I myself have seen posters views I disagree with, only to see they might be right, a year or more later.

What do you mean "post something stupid"?

Posters on this board have differing amounts of knowledge and football background. Other than one season in the reserves in the old south eastern league in my mid 20's, I stopped playing after the U18's. I'm lucky to see more than one game a season. Plus the one reserves games nearby. Other posters are female, never played. Some are currently playing. Age. I'm older. Some here are very young. Everyone comes in with a different knowledge base. So, who is the judge that sorts all that out.

I myself have seen posters views I disagree with, only to see they might be right, a year or more later.
I meant stupid things like “don’t mess with me my intellect is better” examples

Not different opinions

Having followed the hoops since the mid 60's I , like a lot of other posters, have ridden the blue and white rollercoaster through many ups and downs.
There were periods in the wilderness and years when you knew we would fold like a deck of cards to the bottom side.
89 was a commendable effort and I sat thru 92,94 and 95 as an AFL member with each successive game being more and more shattering. We seemed destined to be a close but no cigar team but at least we had Senior to marvel at , some consolation at least.

Even though we lost those 4 GF's which hurt like buggery there was still pride that we were good enough to give it a real crack ( 95 excepted)
I'm not saying that was good enough but I would rather we contended and came up short than be an irrelevant Club. That's me though.
Somehow all that history made 2007 , 2009 and 2011 so much more fulfilling and to be there in 07 &09 with my son still thrills me today.

I love that we have defied the AFL Law of Gravity - we're rebuilding on the run and we're still playing finals and not slipping down the Ladder.
Whilst I'm a very passionate and competitive Cats man I'm also a realist and can accept we won't win a flag every year. I'm disappointed with our Finals record post 2011 but I'm totally invested in us remedying that this year.
We're one helluva team to support , here's to the next 3 games and to another flag - it's an odd year after all :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I started modding here the emphasis was on running the board and occassionally maintaining the peace.
It was a 70% external and 30% internal dynamic with what I dealt with.

Through the years, that dynamic has completley reversed and 70% of the issues are internal and 30% external now.

Debate and discusion is one thing and is supported with no issues.

However, repetitive scorn, dersion and petty baiting would be the number one issue I now face IMO. It leads to niggles, fights and people avoiding the place.
We do our best to dance the light fanstastic thru the landmines of opinion v trolling, and its a fine line, but the fact that it mostly comes internally is sad.

I've even had people attmept to use their good abiltiy with "mail" start false rumours to get people to bite and spread it in an attempt to suck people into a false rumour. From external posters its called the Scandals and Rumours board... but from GFC posters looking to bait their own..?!?!

The place has certainly changed.

Social media has a lot to answer for IMO.

Regardless - we will strive to make this a place for all GFC supporters to congregate and discuss their support and love of the Geelong Football Club irresepctive of the club being 1st or ...well some place down the bottom the of ladder we aint seen this millenium.

Go Catters
So basically, since you've become a mod the board has gone down hill... is that what you're saying?

Problem is our prolonged period of spoilt success has created the attitude and entitlement that going deep into the finals and finishing top four is failure.

Much like a spoilt rich kid who gets accustomed to his sports cars and mansion in the hillside always wanting more and not appreciating the hard work and effort that goes in.

Most supporters as Brian cook pointed out a while ago are realistic and appreciative supporters. The others are just a minority.

I agree that some of our supporters have a sense of entitlement.

I am realistic and appreciative of all we have achieved, but I still think bombing out of the finals this year will be a failure. The club had a review last year for a reason: our poor performances in finals in recent years. They took steps to rectify that.

There's losing and then there's losing without putting up much of a fight, which has happened in finals over recent years.

If they give their all and are beaten by the better team on the day, so be it, but otherwise there are no excuses. I'm sure most at the club feel the same way.

Not my proudest moment.

I still believe I had cause to react, but should have done / expressed it differently.

We should be united in a common cause, and respectful of the differing ways we see the finer details.

Anyhow, onwards and upwards. I'm really hoping we go deep this year. I'll be a nervous wreck next Friday night!

Am already nervous. Text messages galore from hungry, revengeful pie supporting ‘mates’ or just people with my number are adding untold lines to forehead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When I started modding here the emphasis was on running the board and occassionally maintaining the peace.
It was a 70% external and 30% internal dynamic with what I dealt with.

Through the years, that dynamic has completley reversed and 70% of the issues are internal and 30% external now.

Debate and discusion is one thing and is supported with no issues.

However, repetitive scorn, dersion and petty baiting would be the number one issue I now face IMO. It leads to niggles, fights and people avoiding the place.
We do our best to dance the light fanstastic thru the landmines of opinion v trolling, and its a fine line, but the fact that it mostly comes internally is sad.

I've even had people attmept to use their good abiltiy with "mail" start false rumours to get people to bite and spread it in an attempt to suck people into a false rumour. From external posters its called the Scandals and Rumours board... but from GFC posters looking to bait their own..?!?!

The place has certainly changed.

Social media has a lot to answer for IMO.

Regardless - we will strive to make this a place for all GFC supporters to congregate and discuss their support and love of the Geelong Football Club irresepctive of the club being 1st or ...well some place down the bottom the of ladder we aint seen this millenium.

Go Catters

Social media is the prime mover>>anything but social.

Often flick past now vitriol posting to find interesting stuff.

Yea it doesn't help. The slippery slope leading to now started fairly immediately after our last flag. Yes that's right I said immediately. Numerous negative topics and a generally sarcastic/s**t stirring and antagonistic tone from quite a few. How they couldn't be content at least for that off season I'll never know.

I’m happy that people don’t call each ‘champ’ anymore. I really hated that. Well except for foreign supporters!!!

I agree that some of our supporters have a sense of entitlement.

I am realistic and appreciative of all we have achieved, but I still think bombing out of the finals this year will be a failure. The club had a review last year for a reason: our poor performances in finals in recent years. They took steps to rectify that.

There's losing and then there's losing without putting up much of a fight, which has happened in finals over recent years.

If they give their all and are beaten by the better team on the day, so be it, but otherwise there are no excuses. I'm sure most at the club feel the same way.

I disagree with this. We have put up as much of a fight as anyone else.

In 2016 and 2017 out of all of the finals series games do you know how many of them where decided by under 4 goals??

Only 3 out of 18 in total with an average losing margin of about 6-7 goals... 10 goal beltings being actually pretty ordinarily the outcome.

We’re all the sides those years by your same definition a September flop? Or more just a reality of the way the games were being played out?

We have been a great side that has just been beaten by better teams on a consistent enough basis to upset the entitled geelong supporters.

Perhaps they would appreciate it more if we finished 11th 10th etc for a while and then made finals after a long lay off? The logic seems to be more inclined like that

Am already nervous. Text messages galore from hungry, revengeful pie supporting ‘mates’ or just people with my number are adding untold lines to forehead.

Sane nervousness here.

I think I'll vomit if they come out all listless and disinterested in the first few minutes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back