Roast Can we just calm the * down a bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I disagree with this. We have put up as much of a fight as anyone else.

In 2016 and 2017 out of all of the finals series games do you know how many of them where decided by under 4 goals??

Only 3 out of 18 in total with an average losing margin of about 6-7 goals... 10 goal beltings being actually pretty ordinarily the outcome.

We’re all the sides those years by your same definition a September flop? Or more just a reality of the way the games were being played out?

We have been a great side that has just been beaten by better teams on a consistent enough basis to upset the entitled geelong supporters.

Perhaps they would appreciate it more if we finished 11th 10th etc for a while and then made finals after a long lay off? The logic seems to be more inclined like that

You're entitled to your opinion. But the fact is that the club had a review last year, primarily because of its performance in the final last year and other finals in recent years.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Ok we are starting to get back to old habits.

The entitled Geelong supporters are possibly people who hold that having made finals we should win a few more than 27% and may prefer a year or two out to build the list so we win. Fair enough. Why not. But the club can not afford that or hasn’t been able to so is trying a double feat. Pretty remarkable.

Personally I like the club to be reasonably successful as I enjoy the wins but could we just win this QF? Doubt we will as we aren’t probably good enough. Pies have a formidable highly mobile fwd line and mids who win. We only beat them Rnd1 due to misses. I don’t expect a repeat. So going with zero expectation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
You're entitled to your opinion. But the fact is that the club had a review last year, primarily because of its performance in the final last year and other finals in recent years.

I understand the frustration and I feel it myself. But failure is not something I associate with any of it.

We have achieved a lot getting to where we keep getting year in year out. I wouldn’t call it failure.

We have only ever been improvements and adjustments away from possibly snatching it.

History is also showing more and more now that the best team doesn’t always win it.. hawthorn 08, Sydney 12, bulldogs west coast... a lot of luck also.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong

The entitled Geelong supporters are possibly people who hold that having made finals we should win a few more than 27% and may prefer a year or two out to build the list so we win. Fair enough. Why not. But the club can not afford that or hasn’t been able to so is trying a double feat. Pretty remarkable.

Personally I like the club to be reasonably successful as I enjoy the wins but could we just win this QF? Doubt we will as we aren’t probably good enough. Pies have a formidable highly mobile fwd line and mids who win. We only beat them Rnd1 due to misses. I don’t expect a repeat. So going with zero expectation.

Ask Melbourne Carlton st kilda about the “ quick rebuild for a few years”. The footy world doesn’t work like that. In saying that they obviously had very poor coaches in Goodwin Richardson etc.

Ask Melbourne Carlton st kilda about the “ quick rebuild for a few years”. The footy world doesn’t work like that. In saying that they obviously had very poor coaches in Goodwin Richardson etc.
55 years of bad coaches for Melbourne if you apply the logic of some posters

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

The main reason we had a review last year was because we have a review every year.

Last year's did cut a little deeper, but in truth this was because of the whole season, not just the final.

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The main reason we had a review last year was because we have a review every year.

Last year's did cut a little deeper, but in truth this was because of the whole season, not just the final.

It sounds like last year's was much more encompassing than any other year's review.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong

You know your not in such a bad way and have exceedingly acclimatized high standards when you conduct a health check because your team finished 8th on the ladder.

Personally I just think it’s good business practice to always continue for excellence and look for ways to improve.

If Scott and the coaches panel didn’t already have that mindset we wouldn’t continually finish so high up where we do.

Where things get stupid and just unfair to our club is words like “failure” and “poor coaching” is thrown and tossed up about it. Just not true

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
You know your not in such a bad way and have exceedingly acclimatized high standards when you conduct a health check because your team finished 8th on the ladder.

Personally I just think it’s good business practice to always continue for excellence and look for ways to improve.

If Scott and the coaches panel didn’t already have that mindset we wouldn’t continually finish so high up where we do.

Where things get stupid and just unfair to our club is words like “failure” and “poor coaching” is thrown and tossed up about it. Just not true

What are your expectations from here GC26? What is a pass mark in this finals series? For mine, given we finished top of the ladder, a GF appearance or competitive loss in a close prelim would be acceptable. Straight sets, well, that is just a "failure", pure and simple. You couldn't describe it any other way. Chris Scott has done a magnificent job transitioning this list, he can't have done it any better, really. Obviously Wells and Co deserve a lot of credit there too.

But if we were to go out in straight sets, people are right to question Scotty on his ability to coach IMO. We've beaten Collingwood, Richmond, West Coast, Bulldogs & Essendon in the H&A season. We lost games to Brisbane and GWS by under a goal. That's some good results against the other top 8 teams in the H&A season. If any of those sides destroy us in a final, Scott's game plan must come under question, as does his ability to get the best out of the players when it matters. If we're good enough to finish top of the ladder after 23 rounds, we should be good enough to make a GF at the very least.

I actually think he's a good coach FWIW, but he's feeling the heat more than anyone now. You can make an argument that in previous finals series, we really weren't good enough personnel wise. This year, we have a really good balance and this team on paper is premiership worthy if you compare it to the other top 8 teams. There really are no excuses and if we don't fire a shot, Chris Scott needs to be made accountable.

Having said all this, I'm hopeful and fairly confident we can go deep into September.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
What are your expectations from here GC26? What is a pass mark in this finals series? For mine, given we finished top of the ladder, a GF appearance or competitive loss in a close prelim would be acceptable. Straight sets, well, that is just a "failure", pure and simple. You couldn't describe it any other way. Chris Scott has done a magnificent job transitioning this list, he can't have done it any better, really. Obviously Wells and Co deserve a lot of credit there too.

But if we were to go out in straight sets, people are right to question Scotty on his ability to coach IMO. We've beaten Collingwood, Richmond, West Coast, Bulldogs & Essendon in the H&A season. We lost games to Brisbane and GWS by under a goal. That's some good results against the other top 8 teams in the H&A season. If any of those sides destroy us in a final, Scott's game plan must come under question, as does his ability to get the best out of the players when it matters. If we're good enough to finish top of the ladder after 23 rounds, we should be good enough to make a GF at the very least.

I actually think he's a good coach FWIW, but he's feeling the heat more than anyone now. You can make an argument that in previous finals series, we really weren't good enough personnel wise. This year, we have a really good balance and this team on paper is premiership worthy if you compare it to the other top 8 teams. There really are no excuses and if we don't fire a shot, Chris Scott needs to be made accountable.

Having said all this, I'm hopeful and fairly confident we can go deep into September.

Great well thought out post.

I think when you look at losses it’s easy to just grab the margin and say competitive or uncompetitive. In 2016-2017 only 3/18 finals matches where decided by under 4 goals with an average losing margin of about 6 goals.

Everyone was getting belted big when they lost. It was a trend of the way matches were played out depending which way it swung.

To single us out you would need to claim everyone else failed also.

This season is a bloody tough one. Because I hold the opinion and have all season that even down to 10-12th you have good sides on their day. The competition doesn’t have a lot in it.

If 8th beat a top four side this year, I doubt it would be a huge shock given it’s so even.

A pass mark given how I see it??

Probably a prelim for me is always a pass for a top four side. Just a pass.

Straight sets is a failure. A grand final appearance is always a success.

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Great well thought out post.

I think when you look at losses it’s easy to just grab the margin and say competitive or uncompetitive. In 2016-2017 only 3/18 finals matches where decided by under 4 goals with an average losing margin of about 6 goals.

Everyone was getting belted big when they lost. It was a trend of the way matches were played out depending which way it swung.

To single us out you would need to claim everyone else failed also.

This season is a bloody tough one. Because I hold the opinion and have all season that even down to 10-12th you have good sides on their day. The competition doesn’t have a lot in it.

If 8th beat a top four side this year, I doubt it would be a huge shock given it’s so even.

A pass mark given how I see it??

Probably a prelim for me is always a pass for a top four side. Just a pass.

Straight sets is a failure. A grand final appearance is always a success.

Well summed up, I totally agree with your thoughts :thumbsu:

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong

I don't think anything that happened in round 1 this year will have any relevance in the finals. That was a long time ago and much has happened to both teams since then. Finals is really the beginning of a new season

mcwilrob

Premiership Player
Jul 13, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong

See bolded above/ The key issues IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back