Can we make the 8 in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Still 13 rounds to go and there's really only GWS, Hawks, NM and WC who would have written finals off. Unfortunately, the gap from 6th to 7th is now 2 wins and we would need a percentage boost as well. It may be that a top 6 team falls off the cliff but I think we're battling for an away final at best now.

That would be a step backwards but not disastrous. Could still have a decent run at it from 7th/8th but highly unlikely.

We need 13 wins to make it.
We have 5 so 8 more required.
Going to do my predictions here:
Melbourne away - 50:50
Richmond home - W
GWS away - 50:50
Essendon H - W
Dogs away - L
Carlton H - 50:50
Pies A - L
Sydney H - W
Cats away - L
Brisbane H - 50:50
Eagles A - W
Port H - 50:50
Hawks A - W

Going to be very tight. We might just squeeze into 8th.
Would love an Elim final against the saints at marvel. Would give us every chance there in that one

Still 13 rounds to go and there's really only GWS, Hawks, NM and WC who would have written finals off. Unfortunately, the gap from 6th to 7th is now 2 wins and we would need a percentage boost as well. It may be that a top 6 team falls off the cliff but I think we're battling for an away final at best now.

That would be a step backwards but not disastrous. Could still have a decent run at it from 7th/8th but highly unlikely.
GWS have won one less game than Sydney and Gold Coast and at times looked far more convincing. Wouldn't write GWS off unless you're willing off the other two as well tbh.

GWS have won one less game than Sydney and Gold Coast and at times looked far more convincing. Wouldn't write GWS off unless you're willing off the other two as well tbh.
Yeah, maybe include GWS. But with a percentage of 85 and 3 wins, I reckon another loss in the next week or two and they are done.

The game is a fair bit different now (with the stand rule and attacking style) than it was in the precise kick mark game of Hawthorn circa 2012 - 2017.
It seems like less packs in general and less reliance on quality key forwards to win games.
What does all this mean for the Dockers? If you had told me 10 years ago that we'd win a premiership with 3 key forwards under 22 I'd have told you to check yourself into a psych ward. But now? I reckon we have a chance. A slim chance but a chance none the less.

Why limit ourselves? Top 4 should still be the aim & we just need to keep improving. Collingwood was 4-5 last year too and got there.

We were so timid and dysfunctional in the first 6 rounds that I am still yet to believe. I also think our midfield remains undersized - which is weird. We have the very real ability to field a centre square lineup that looks like this:

Weirdly nimble giantHeightKegs
Darcy203111
Jackson199102
Johnson19386
Fyfe19194

And we should very definitely do that - at least once.

Just to mux thungs up a but.

At this stage of the season having a ledger of 5-5 definitely means we are well within reach of a finals berth. We have looked a lot better in the past few weeks, but the opposition in each game has been at less than peak condition/form. This week will be far more of a test and give us a guage of where we are really at. They're missing Olliver, but were missing Walters so about even with personnel.

Seasons are all about timing though, and we really don't want to be hitting our peak form in May. Wouldn't care if we drop this week without being smashed, and gradually build momentum after the bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't buy into the 'bye breaking momentum' theory that the AFL media are howling about.

It's not like previous years where we've peaked early and fallen flat during the second half of the year (2014, 2015 and 2022 - even 2013 for a short period).

There's so much on the line there's a decent chance we'll correct a lot of the silly errors we're making from defensive 50.

Can we make the 8? I think the team answered the question on Saturday. The great thing is that we have won the last four games the same way - an exciting brand of team, fast, pressure football taking the game on everywhere. In contrast to relying on individuals to have stunning games I think what we have is consistently reproducible. We can cover the loss of Darcy and O'Meara for the game against the Tigers - it is a good test of our depth and our system. The question now is can we get to 14 wins and a top 6 finish/home final? This looks like a more realistic proposition than making the 8 did a month ago.

Can we make the 8? I think the team answered the question on Saturday. The great thing is that we have won the last four games the same way - an exciting brand of team, fast, pressure football taking the game on everywhere. In contrast to relying on individuals to have stunning games I think what we have is consistently reproducible. We can cover the loss of Darcy and O'Meara for the game against the Tigers - it is a good test of our depth and our system. The question now is can we get to 14 wins and a top 6 finish/home final? This looks like a more realistic proposition than making the 8 did a month ago.
Only 3 teams have won their last 4 matches

Only concern is Adelaide & Essendon who i feel we are fighting for that spot in the 8. But both have 3 games left against North & West Coast.

That's almost a gimme 12 points atm and a percentage boost. They might only have to win 4 from remaining 9 games and they will be in.

While we have the solitary game against West Coast in Round 22.

Only concern is Adelaide & Essendon who i feel we are fighting for that spot in the 8. But both have 3 games left against North & West Coast.

That's almost a gimme 12 points atm and a percentage boost. They might only have to win 4 from remaining 9 games and they will be in.

Yeah we have to play significantly better to allow for the fact we are not getting easy kills from here.

Crows do appear to be massive home track bullies. I expect them to drop most, if not all difficulty away games.

North will win games this year. Teams like Essendon especially are ripe for an ambush from the likes of north. The kangaroos have shown a lot the last 2 weeks despite losing both. They will certainly win a couple of games this year that are unexpected.
Eagles - yeah they won’t beat much

This is the first week I think we could, we were coming from so far back we needed 4 straight wins against some tough oppo just to sit 9th.

We need to be ultra consistent with our current style to get there, and with how young our forwardline is and some of our other lines, I think that consistency will drop so I still think we just miss out. Or maybe sneak into 8th.

But a 9-11th finish won’t be the end of the world with our age profile as long as we show enough signs for the future, continue bedding in this current “play to win” gamestyle AND retain this current group (sign Darcy) and stop shipping players and replacing them with draft picks which is what keeps a team always young and always just out of reach of being properly good.
Build the chemistry and game time with this core 10-15 young guys, we all know who we are, and we will honestly be a very powerful team soon considering what they’re showing already.

Yeah we have to play significantly better to allow for the fact we are not getting easy kills from here.

Crows do appear to be massive home track bullies. I expect them to drop most, if not all difficulty away games.
Crows remaining away games below how many do you expect them to win in those 6 - Hopefully max 2 as there remaining home games all are very winnable and teams outside of the 8 expect the showdown with Port which is a crows home game.

Crows away Games
GC in Darwin
Collingwood
Essendon
Melbourne
Brisbane
West Coast

Crows Home Games
West Coast
North Melbourne
GWS
Port
Gold Coast
Sydney

Crows remaining away games below how many do you expect them to win in those 6 - Hopefully max 2 as there remaining home games all are very winnable and teams outside of the 8 expect the showdown with Port which is a crows home game.

Crows away Games
GC in Darwin
Collingwood
Essendon
Melbourne
Brisbane
West Coast

Crows Home Games
West Coast
North Melbourne
GWS
Port
Gold Coast
Sydney
They'll do the Eagles by 100+ and maybe beat Essendon. Wouldn't tip them in other away games based off this year.

They'll win all the home games except 50/50 with Port.

So I would expect them to be at least 13 wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back