Can we make the 8 in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

So with last weekend do we still make the 8?
Still a good chance; have to win the ones we should win and an upset or two will get us there. Winning vs. Brisbane, Essendon, Sydney, Melbourne at home, plus getting one back on the dogs away would just about get us there, and this is including expected losses to Port and Collingwood.

We can likely afford 10 losses, so we have 4 left. This however, still leaves us vulnerable if our percentage isn't great, so it's much safer if we're able to keep the remaining losses to 3.

In summary, if we lose to Pies and Port, we can really only afford one more loss to another team. This is possibly going to be Geelong at GMHBA. It's going to be tight for us, but they're certainly capable.

I had us 7th-12th prior to the season.

We need some results to go our way and for our lot to stop losing to teams we should beat.

Essendon is a big game now - Pearce vs 2mP a huge match up.

I have us in the 8th-10th range now.

I enjoyed the richmond game, but they are a team we should be beating. Frustrating.

We will win more than we lose from here on in

GWS, Carlton, WCE, Sydney as the most probable for us to get points from, with us to have a decent shout against Essendon, Hawks and Brisbane. We aren't guaranteed to lose against Port at home, Pies at the G or Cats away either.

We may well do enough to get 6-8 wins from that and a decent %.

Yes, there are some seriously flawed teams going for spots 6-8 and we should be good enough to grab one of those and even win an elimination final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to resurrect this thread at such a sensitive time...
If we need 13 wins for finals we now have to win 7 out of 10.
Are there any believers out there??????
Is the Darcy Difference a thing?

Nope we won't make it this year.

We certainly don't deserve it anyway.

We're not even in the hunt for anything until we can actually bring 4 quarters of intensity. For almost 2 seasons we haven't been able to play from the first bounce - no worthy team performs that badly. You don't win a premiership from playing only 2-3 quarters of footy per game.

Even when Collingwood are behind - you can still see they have intensity at the contest - they're always a chance. Our first quarters, we play like a bunch of snowflakes. Regarding the GWS game on the weekend, we played like a bunch of snowflakes the whole 4 quarters.

I don't want to just scrape into the 8 - there's no point to that. We need to strive for a consistent and ruthless effort week in week out. If we do that, results will take care of themselves. At the moment we're relying on too much external factors (what the other team does) to determine if we win a game and if we will make the finals.

It's almost a certainty at this point that we dont make it, however if we can get to 12 wins that would be impressive in the context of this season.

Even if by some miracle we made the eight (and I can’t see it happening now) I would see it as being wrongly rewarded for a truly dreadful season.

The club needs to do some serious soul searching from the Coach down and address the issues which clearly exist there.

As fans we aren’t privy to the inner workings at the Club but the on field performances that we are seeing are damning and clearly the result of much wider issues at the Club. Has the Coach lost the players’ confidence?
We’ve been Docker fans for long enough to know that things are not right at Freo despite what the Club would have us believe.

The saddest part about it is that we have all that talent going to waste for yet another AFL season.

Even if by some miracle we made the eight (and I can’t see it happening now) I would see it as being wrongly rewarded for a truly dreadful season.

The club needs to do some serious soul searching from the Coach down and address the issues which clearly exist there.

As fans we aren’t privy to the inner workings at the Club but the on field performances that we are seeing are damning and clearly the result of much wider issues at the Club. Has the Coach lost the players’ confidence?
We’ve been Docker fans for long enough to know that things are not right at Freo despite what the Club would have us believe.

The saddest part about it is that we have all that talent going to waste for yet another AFL season.
I 1/2 agree.
Only 2 rounds ago we got 4 good wins in a row including vs Melbourne which no-one expected us to win - and we won that one largely without Darcy and with a very young team. So I don't want to be too down on everyone, we are capable of out performing our age/experience. JL is still a relatively young coach.

We're not even in the hunt for anything until we can actually bring 4 quarters of intensity. For almost 2 seasons we haven't been able to play from the first bounce - no worthy team performs that badly. You don't win a premiership from playing only 2-3 quarters of footy per game.

Even when Collingwood are behind - you can still see they have intensity at the contest - they're always a chance. Our first quarters, we play like a bunch of snowflakes. Regarding the GWS game on the weekend, we played like a bunch of snowflakes the whole 4 quarters.

I don't want to just scrape into the 8 - there's no point to that. We need to strive for a consistent and ruthless effort week in week out. If we do that, results will take care of themselves. At the moment we're relying on too much external factors (what the other team does) to determine if we win a game and if we will make the finals.
Agree with this
The performances against NM and GWS were pathetic and we don’t deserve to play finals

No, just don’t have the cattle in the coaching box. Need to get a real midfield coach, and probs need a more attacking forward coach. Reckon Boyd is ok, stick with JLo but don’t re-sign him till late next season, if not he’s got to go!

That's such a dumb thing to say we don't deserve it; if we're miraculously good enough to win 7 or 8 of our remaining games then yeah we'd bloody have earned the right to be there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back