Can we make the 8 in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if by some miracle we made the eight (and I can’t see it happening now) I would see it as being wrongly rewarded for a truly dreadful season.

The club needs to do some serious soul searching from the Coach down and address the issues which clearly exist there.

As fans we aren’t privy to the inner workings at the Club but the on field performances that we are seeing are damning and clearly the result of much wider issues at the Club. Has the Coach lost the players’ confidence?
We’ve been Docker fans for long enough to know that things are not right at Freo despite what the Club would have us believe.

The saddest part about it is that we have all that talent going to waste for yet another AFL season.

To me that is bulls**t.

I would be happy for freo to make finals...

Again... From 1995-2022, we only made finals in 8 seasons out of 28. THose years were 2003, 2006, 2010, 2012-5 and 2022.

I would love finals this season. There is talent here. Last thing I want is a Repeat of the Chris Connolly era of 2002-07 where we made finals in 2003 and 2006. We should of made finals each year from 2003-06.

If we do miss out on finals this season, We still have a young squad to contend for finals for at least 4 more seasons. I want this side to at least make back to back finals in 2024-25.

That's such a dumb thing to say we don't deserve it; if we're miraculously good enough to win 7 or 8 of our remaining games then yeah we'd bloody have earned the right to be there.

we're too up and down - our best and worst is too far apart, we lose the games we should win then win games that are hard.

based on that we're certainly not contending for the flag.

Also with our useless 1st qtr record we're not going to challenge.

Stand by my opinion that even if we have a massive winning streak, we dont deserve it. Can't see us having a massive winning streak with this way we play anyway. We have no consistency of effort.

we're too up and down - our best and worst is too far apart, we lose the games we should win then win games that are hard.

based on that we're certainly not contending for the flag.

Also with our useless 1st qtr record we're not going to challenge.

Stand by my opinion that even if we have a massive winning streak, we dont deserve it. Can't see us having a massive winning streak with this way we play anyway. We have no consistency of effort.
If we win 8/10 from here, that is the very definition of consistent. I think you need to be able to change your mind in the presence of new evidence which that most certainly would be.

I do agree that is unlikely.

the whole comp is up and down really besides port and the pies

were at the beginning of our peak while most other teams around us (dogs, giants, tigers, melbourne, geelong,) are on the other side of the ledger. currently the tiges and giants are looking good but go back 2 months and the giants were losing to the eagles 🤣 ups and downs are to be expected especially for a young team coming up against these genuine experienced hardened teams

clearly some things need to be addressed though, poor starts is just becoming laughable atm, midfield needs to be looked at, but overall i think were still trending in the right direction.

and if we manage to make the finals of course wed have 'deserved' it whatever that even means

If we win 8/10 from here, that is the very definition of consistent. I think you need to be able to change your mind in the presence of new evidence which that most certainly would be.

I do agree that is unlikely.
Depends how you look at a season - having a winning streak of 6 in a row, when prior to that we've been up and down like a yoyo in the scheme of a season is inconsistent. And i'm not just talking about wins and losses here, i'm talking about effort and consistency of style.

Anyways i can't see us magically winning 6 or 7 games in a row to qualify - either way as we stand here right now, we're not finals worthy. Happy for that to change, but the sheer lack of effort we showed on Saturday is as concerning a loss as we've had in a few years. Massive alarm bells for me.

Depends how you look at a season - having a winning streak of 6 in a row, when prior to that we've been up and down like a yoyo in the scheme of a season is inconsistent. And i'm not just talking about wins and losses here, i'm talking about effort and consistency of style.

Anyways i can't see us magically winning 6 or 7 games in a row to qualify - either way as we stand here right now, we're not finals worthy. Happy for that to change, but the sheer lack of effort we showed on Saturday is as concerning a loss as we've had in a few years. Massive alarm bells for me.
That's all based on the assumption that the character of a team can't change mid-season.

Further to that, your definition of being worthy is irrelevant. The only one that matters is the ladder.

no one can win every game or even been impressive every game. unfortunately the players are just as human as us and are susceptible to down games for whatever reason, thats just reality

no s**t right now were not finals 'worthy', were not inside the 8

So by your logic, if a person runs a marathon or rides a tour de france stage, and is in the lead for 99.9%, and then some other person overtakes them in the last 10 m, that person that eventually won doesn't deserve to win? That is nonsensical mate.

You're saying that if you haven't raced consistently then you're an undeserving winner?

What is even the point of saying if we don't change we're not finals worthy? I mean this is literally stating the obvious!? Everyone here is already acutely aware we need to improve, and it's actually offensive to say that even if we greatly improved, we still don't deserve to win because we had a few down games?! This is nuts. Like self-flagellation.

Did the Western Bulldogs 'deserve' to win the 2016 grand final from 7th spot?

So by your logic, if a person runs a marathon or rides a tour de france stage, and is in the lead for 99.9%, and then some other person overtakes them in the last 10 m, that person that eventually won doesn't deserve to win? That is nonsensical mate.

You're saying that if you haven't raced consistently then you're an undeserving winner?

What is even the point of saying if we don't change we're not finals worthy? I mean this is literally stating the obvious!? Everyone here is already acutely aware we need to improve, and it's actually offensive to say that even if we greatly improved, we still don't deserve to win because we had a few down games?! This is nuts. Like self-flagellation.

Did the Western Bulldogs 'deserve' to win the 2016 grand final from 7th spot?

From the start i've actually said i'm not talking about wins and losses - maybe you missed that point. Consistency of effort is all im asking. The difference between our best and worst is too frequent and too far apart is what im saying. right now, not worrying about the iff's of the future, we're not worthy this season because we have no consistency. And forget finals - i dont want to just make finals, i want to be competitive and sadly with our lack of consistency we're not a contender.

and to use your logic - i guarantee you that marathon runners or tour de france riders who win, or finish near the top, at least maintain consistency across the event to give themselves a chance. They dont have multiple stages where they don't rock up. The best, as with the AFL are teams that have blips along the way, but they dont dish up efforts like we did on the weekend and like we started the season with. In the tour de france the winner is always around the mark for the whole race.

your metaphors you used are completely off and you've completely misunderstood my whole point. All I want is a consistent effort from our team. Apart from our Ross Lyon years - our club has never EVER shown consistency. This season is a classic Freo 101 example of that. We can come out one week and beat a ripping top team, then as a supporter we actually have no idea how we're going to play the following week against a lowly team. It is so frustrating.

It's continually embarrassing how we never know what we'll observe as fans in terms of effort - again i'm not talking about wins and losses. Seriously - this weekend who knows what we'll do or what we'll bring? after a shocking loss you'd expect some fight so we'll probably come out and play strong against essendon, but who knows? then what the week after against the dogs?

Our abyssmal 1st quarter efforts is the other part of this. in 13 round this year we have won 1 1st qtr. The club have rattled off all the buzz words about this, had cuddle sessions etc, but still nothing has changed.

I thought we were in a shot to go 3/3 post bye. Now I am not confident we will beat the bombers.

Strange year. We won't make the 8 this season but should definitely be there next season. If not heads should roll.

From the start i've actually said i'm not talking about wins and losses - maybe you missed that point. Consistency of effort is all im asking. The difference between our best and worst is too frequent and too far apart is what im saying. right now, not worrying about the iff's of the future, we're not worthy this season because we have no consistency. And forget finals - i dont want to just make finals, i want to be competitive and sadly with our lack of consistency we're not a contender.

and to use your logic - i guarantee you that marathon runners or tour de france riders who win, or finish near the top, at least maintain consistency across the event to give themselves a chance. They dont have multiple stages where they don't rock up. The best, as with the AFL are teams that have blips along the way, but they dont dish up efforts like we did on the weekend and like we started the season with. In the tour de france the winner is always around the mark for the whole race.

your metaphors you used are completely off and you've completely misunderstood my whole point. All I want is a consistent effort from our team. Apart from our Ross Lyon years - our club has never EVER shown consistency. This season is a classic Freo 101 example of that. We can come out one week and beat a ripping top team, then as a supporter we actually have no idea how we're going to play the following week against a lowly team. It is so frustrating.

It's continually embarrassing how we never know what we'll observe as fans in terms of effort - again i'm not talking about wins and losses. Seriously - this weekend who knows what we'll do or what we'll bring? after a shocking loss you'd expect some fight so we'll probably come out and play strong against essendon, but who knows? then what the week after against the dogs?

Our abyssmal 1st quarter efforts is the other part of this. in 13 round this year we have won 1 1st qtr. The club have rattled off all the buzz words about this, had cuddle sessions etc, but still nothing has changed.

news tpg GIF by The Points Guy

Young team is inconsistent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon 13 might get us in.
If so we need 6 from 9.
Looks like Darcy is key to structure - he did lots of good things tonight but was a bit rusty and didn't dominate the taps but boy did he get our forward line going by releasing Dogger.
So if Darcy stays fit perhaps we are still in the hunt (just).
BUT IT'S GOING TO BE A WILD 9 WEEKS. STRAP YOURSELVES IN. We can lose away to the Dogs, Pies and Cats and still live in September. Lets F*****N GOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Seeing as all the teams around us are getting 15% boosts against WC while we scraped a 41 pt win.

Will be costly.

I think we will miss had too many costly losses this year will bite end of season.
Yeah, can we still make the 8 now? Yes, but it's ******* hard with the percentage where it is and playing Brisbane, Port, Collingwood and Geelong at home. Given away too many games we should have won. That's ok, lets keep building chemistry each week and win first ******* quarters and hit the ground running next year

I don't think we will make the eight this year. We most likely need to win 6 of the last 9 , and 5 of those are against top 8 sides. Obviously our problem has been failure to turn up fully as a team until quarter time most games. Tonight turned up half way through the first quarter which is at least an improvement. We've had some good wins but a few to many lapses. Maybe we outperformed last year.
We really need to beat the dogs next week and take each game from now almost as a final if we really want to be there at the end. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I reckon 13 might get us in.
If so we need 6 from 9.
So we need to win the ones we expect to + at least one of Collingwood (A), Geelong (A) and Brisbane (H) and Port (H). Tough.

If we can arrive at a point where wins in the last 3 games against WCE, port (H) and Hawks at the MCG gets us a finals berth, I’ll back us to win those 3 games and make it

Percentage is a real worry. Need to end up with an extra win over most of the competition. Yes, we have another derby but I'm sure some of the teams competing with us for finals have the Eagles again too. Would need to win a couple of unexpected ones. Absolutely possible that Saints and Bombers could fall off a cliff though. I don't think we're consistent enough to make it.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back