Strategy Can we play McGovern as a permanent FF?

Remove this Banner Ad

Alwaysacrow

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread so mods feel free to merge if not.
After last weekend's game seeing McLovin probably have his best game for the club I'm wondering if we shouldn't plant him there permanently for a change in structure. Yes I know it was only Essendon but he really seemed to relish his time in that position. There's no doubt in my mind that he's the best contested mark in our team and would allow Tex and Jenkins to work further up the ground. After the Geelong game I'm sure other teams are looking at that blueprint to try and stop our forward line. Perhaps if we try something like this it will upset opposition defense strategies at least for a game or 2 hopefully. Whatever we do we will need to come up with something new I believe if we happen to come up against Geelong again in the finals.
Thoughts?

I think we have to, with Tex and Jenkins both refusing to crash packs we don't have any other choice. Too long has McGovern suffered from taking marks at angles because the center area of the 50 is dedicated to Jenkins and Walker. We know McGoverns kicking is his weakness so lets let him take pack marks straight in front.

Push Walker out of the 50 for the most part, let him play link up along with Lynch with the added threat of his 60 metre bombs. Jenkins plays further up as well to help with his running back with the flight of the ball.

He doesn't have the strength yet, key backman would know they can nullify his weapon (leap and grab) by engaging him in a wrestle one-on-one. Once he is strong enough to be able to take marks while wrestling, then he will be able to be the #1 forward.

I agree 100%, as good as it is we aren't getting the most out of our forward line's talent.

McGovern has been wasted on a flank at times and Walker's season has been all over the place. I would really like to see us get more out of the three talls in Walker, Jenkins and McGovern instead of playing the style that can be completely shut down by good sides (Geelong game). Also stop bombing to Eddie one on one.

Something like this might work for this weeks game.

Cameron - Walker - Lynch
Betts - McGovern - Jenkins

Give Jenkins more ruck time as ROB won't last the full game and leave McGovern as our FF.

He doesn't have the strength yet, key backman would know they can nullify his weapon (leap and grab) by engaging him in a wrestle one-on-one. Once he is strong enough to be able to take marks while wrestling, then he will be able to be the #1 forward.
I agree with you in part about his lack of upper body strength but I'm more interested in him using his speed rather than strength to crash packs. Jenkins has the speed but rarely plays like that, Tex not super quick but has a huge tank and is a fantastic field kick (most of the time). McLovin won't grab everything up there but he's sure to cause some headaches for defenders if he leads with speed which he's got. Maybe he should watch Kennedy (WC variety) and try to emulate his leading patterns rather than to attempt mark of the year every week. (Although he'll probably take mark of the year one day).

In the future he would make a very good full forward but he will take another 100 games to reach that level which incidentally will be the same time tex is most likely finishing up his career.

Isolating betts and mcgovern in the forward 50 against 2 defenders could be the masterstroke come finals time

The rest of our team do seem to do better with space. Jenkins with the run out the back, Tex with the lead, CC with the run and carry.. could work.

Engaging in a wrestle one on one is almost entirely dependent on the quality and direction of kick into Mitch.

Also, we happen to have some pretty handy weapons at ground level.

I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread so mods feel free to merge if not.
After last weekend's game seeing McLovin probably have his best game for the club I'm wondering if we shouldn't plant him there permanently for a change in structure. Yes I know it was only Essendon but he really seemed to relish his time in that position. There's no doubt in my mind that he's the best contested mark in our team and would allow Tex and Jenkins to work further up the ground. After the Geelong game I'm sure other teams are looking at that blueprint to try and stop our forward line. Perhaps if we try something like this it will upset opposition defense strategies at least for a game or 2 hopefully. Whatever we do we will need to come up with something new I believe if we happen to come up against Geelong again in the finals.
Thoughts?
Good post. I'd certainly be open to the possibility - and I'm super pleased that the Gov had a game like that considering just how young the bloke is. Once again, we've landed a ripper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea. The way Walker and Jenkins now play work to this advantage. Walker seems to be taken a more "goal assisting" role coming off the half forward, able to kick it long with pinpoint accuracy to his team-mates advantage. Jenkins (despite having the size) is quick, able to bring the ball to ground, and pick it up quickly too. Neither you would say are particularly "strong" markers or pack crashers. McGovern does add that dimension.

I understand the concerns re: McGovern having to wrestle 1 on 1 in the square with defenders, but I think the game is moving away from that particular style. Being quicker, mobile and taking a strong mark on the lead is would be more suitable.

He can honestly become a 40-50 goal player a year without having to sacrifice scoring opportunities to other players. Really looking forward to the development of this kid. AFC - please stick with him.

Walker is better working up to the wings and half back anyway…use his tank, physical presence in traffic, elite skills in field play, and better goal kicking from long range to our advantage. Long goals will be a needed threat when sides flood our forward space. The only issue with Walker is his lack of defensive ability due to slowness.

McGovern needs a 'simpler' task as a deeper forward who competes in the air when outnumbered most of the time…win win.

I think I mentioned this same thing much earlier in the year. Personally I'd have McGovern and Jenkins rotating between the deep tall forward role, partnered with Betts.

McGovern certainly has all the attributes required for the modern day version of a full forward. They need to be quick (for the sling shot style), mobile, with a good leap and able to take a strong contested grab.

Walkers certainly more suited to the CHF role with his ability to lace out guys from 65m away and is much stronger leading up at the footy, than leading back with the flight.

Good thought - I'd prefer most of the long bombs we are sometimes forced into were directed to him, as he's the best high mark we have - maybe not so much a positional change, but a change in tactics moving forward. Mind you, if we strike Geelong again I'd have him go with Rhys Stanley around the ground as I think he'd be able to negate Stanley's marking somewhat and hurt him the other way.

I think we have to, with Tex and Jenkins both refusing to crash packs we don't have any other choice. Too long has McGovern suffered from taking marks at angles because the center area of the 50 is dedicated to Jenkins and Walker. We know McGoverns kicking is his weakness so lets let him take pack marks straight in front.

Push Walker out of the 50 for the most part, let him play link up along with Lynch with the added threat of his 60 metre bombs. Jenkins plays further up as well to help with his running back with the flight of the ball.

Problem is Jenkins accuracy outside of the goal square is questionable.

I like the idea. The way Walker and Jenkins now play work to this advantage. Walker seems to be taken a more "goal assisting" role coming off the half forward, able to kick it long with pinpoint accuracy to his team-mates advantage. Jenkins (despite having the size) is quick, able to bring the ball to ground, and pick it up quickly too. Neither you would say are particularly "strong" markers or pack crashers. McGovern does add that dimension.

I understand the concerns re: McGovern having to wrestle 1 on 1 in the square with defenders, but I think the game is moving away from that particular style. Being quicker, mobile and taking a strong mark on the lead is would be more suitable.

He can honestly become a 40-50 goal player a year without having to sacrifice scoring opportunities to other players. Really looking forward to the development of this kid. AFC - please stick with him.

This is where Betts and Cameron come into play and grab the crumbs. Just think Jacko and the horseshoe :)

I think I mentioned this same thing much earlier in the year. Personally I'd have McGovern and Jenkins rotating between the deep tall forward role, partnered with Betts.

McGovern certainly has all the attributes required for the modern day version of a full forward. They need to be quick (for the sling shot style), mobile, with a good leap and able to take a strong contested grab.

Walkers certainly more suited to the CHF role with his ability to lace out guys from 65m away and is much stronger leading up at the footy, than leading back with the flight.
Exactly my thinking. Switch those 3 McGovern, Jenkins and Betts throughout the game..... keep them guessing. All the "Joe the goose goals" during the season have been great but I fear that the good sides are starting to figure that out; we'll need some wild card plays in the finals to have success.

Problem is Jenkins accuracy outside of the goal square is questionable.

But the Jenkins marks in the goal square aren't contested, they're running back with the flight of the ball where the forward line is usually fairly empty.

Our attacks one weakness this year has been when we've had a congested forward line and we need to develop game play patterns to deal with it. I'd had a lot of faith in Pyke but he just doesn't seem to be making the changes we need.

In situations where we have that super congested forward line the structure should be McGovern about 30 out dead in front, attempting to give strong leads but also able to contest pack situations with Betts and Cameron ready for the crumb. We should have Walker, Seedsman and Smith all out at about 50-60 metres threatening the long goal if the opposition don't man them closely (and if they are manned closely it's taking the congestion out of our deeper targets). Jenkins in this situation should be right on the goal line to help the long bombs avoid being touched but also to lead out strongly if he sees space open up.

In situations where we have that super congested forward line the structure should be McGovern about 30 out dead in front, attempting to give strong leads but also able to contest pack situations with Betts and Cameron ready for the crumb. We should have Walker, Seedsman and Smith all out at about 50-60 metres threatening the long goal if the opposition don't man them closely (and if they are manned closely it's taking the congestion out of our deeper targets). Jenkins in this situation should be right on the goal line to help the long bombs avoid being touched but also to lead out strongly if he sees space open up.
Perfect.

Like to see our marking mids in Sloane and Lyons also darting out wide on leads as genuine options but also to create space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back