Strategy Can we play Tex,Pods,JJ and Lynch all in the forward line?

Remove this Banner Ad

First 2-4 games Tex is back, I'd expect them all to play, with either Pods or Tex being subbed.

After that, provided Tex returns to form (not dominant, but contributing well), then I'd expect Pods to be dropped.
exactly this. although would of been easier to trial it against Melbourne than Collingwood. That is if Tex plays the Collingwood game....

exactly this. although would of been easier to trial it against Melbourne than Collingwood. That is if Tex plays the Collingwood game....
The decision whether or not to play Tex should never have been influenced by who the opponent is. It should always have been made in the best interest of managing Tex's return from injury. Tex's ability to perform & recover should have been the only factor under consideration.

This is a stupid argument as all different players and only really 2 talls with Pods and Tex with resting ruck man JJ and Lynch doesn't come into the argument as a roaming forward that applies great pressure and kicks crumbing goals .
Both Rucci who stated would not work and don't know why this crap merchant still gets under my skin, and Tredrea who I think is a reasonable media expert who put Petrenko in our best team leaving out Pods.
I don't know what more Pods can do to get rated and how much less Petrenko do to be noted not AFL standard.

The decision whether or not to play Tex should never have been influenced by who the opponent is. It should always have been made in the best interest of managing Tex's return from injury. Tex's ability to perform & recover should have been the only factor under consideration.
true, but it is a structure we have not tried. Why try it against a top 4 team?? I would much rather trial it against a bottom 4 side.. especially when Melbourne would not have the forwards to handle it.
I am on the side of, if Tex says he is ready to go, then he is ready to go.

With JPod & Walker we have two big players who aren't overly quick. Don't get me wrong, they both work harder at applying defensive pressure than players like LJ, but they're still limited in what they can achieve. Lynch is fine - he's one of the hardest working players at the club and he runs both ways, all day long. That just leaves JJ and I haven't really watched him closely enough to know how much defensive pressure he's able to provide. He has the pace to do it really well, at least off the line, but I'm not sure how effective a 198cm player will ever be at that aspect of the game.

Yes, the midfield can (and does) help out, but a zone defence is only as strong as its weakest link. If JPod & Walker don't get to position in time then the whole thing collapses.

As I said before, I think they'll go with the 4 talls to start off with, but I don't think the experiment will last very long.

Walker ran down Jetta vs Sydney in 2012 that forced a poor kick. He's quick enough.

This is a stupid argument as all different players and only really 2 talls with Pods and Tex with resting ruck man JJ and Lynch doesn't come into the argument as a roaming forward that applies great pressure and kicks crumbing goals .
Both Rucci who stated would not work and don't know why this crap merchant still gets under my skin, and Tredrea who I think is a reasonable media expert who put Petrenko in our best team leaving out Pods.
I don't know what more Pods can do to get rated and how much less Petrenko do to be noted not AFL standard.
Tredrea's fundamental assumption is that a forward line with 4 talls will not work in the long term. It might have the occasional success, but overall it's too tall & too slow to be effective in the long run. As such, it has to be one of the 3 talls who makes way for Tex (in the long run). Lynch & JJ make stronger cases for their retention than JPod does. Yes, JPod is currently performing very well (and Tredrea said as much) and Petrenko was positively putrid last weekend, but Pets survives because replacing him with Tex is not sustainable from a structural perspective.
true, but it is a structure we have not tried. Why try it against a top 4 team?? I would much rather trial it against a bottom 4 side.. especially when Melbourne would not have the forwards to handle it.
I am on the side of, if Tex says he is ready to go, then he is ready to go.
We can't change the AFL fixture just to suit our own needs. If Tex isn't ready to play AFL this week (and that's the decision they've made), then so be it. If we happen to be up against a top-4 side after the bye, then that's just bad luck.

Given how rubbish our back line has been recently, especially last week, I think instead of dropping one of our forwards we should send one back into defence. They can hardly do worse than our defenders did last week. Those tools didn't even put in any effort.

Worked last night. Walker stayed inside 50 because lynch was back. Pods seemed to suffer a bit out of the four of them

I think one of the main reasons it worked is because Rutten was dropped. It meant pods was able to fill a hole in defence without making the back half to slow.

Don't think it will work when Rutten returns, if he does return.

Pods has been admirable, but will be the one to go if Rutten is given back his gold pass

If its a decision between playing pods or rutten, where do you think the selectors will go? Rutten is not in our best 22 in my opinion, and is just hanging on. No point in continuing to play him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worked last night. Walker stayed inside 50 because lynch was back. Pods seemed to suffer a bit out of the of the four of them
I wasn't at the game but a few times (on tv) I noticed the ball coming into the 50 and Jpod was the one there you couldn't see where walker was? I don't know if he was off or deeper or caught up the ground, but each time I expected walker to be the one they kicked it too but it was pods.

Somebody needs to get into Texs head before next week.
We shouldn't drop him just yet but he needs to know if he doesn't perform he will be dropped the following week...simple.
I've never seen him look so bad, so slow.

I'd keep him for the Hawks game to stretch them and he may rise to the occasion, then he gets a much needed bye…reassess after that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back