Society/Culture Can we please stop equating the risk posed by left wing extremists with that of right wing extremists?

Remove this Banner Ad

Chief

Chugging Adrenochrome
Dec 1, 1999
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
No, it doesn't say that. Anarchism exists on both the left and the right side of politics:

Issues in anarchism - Wikipedia

Left wing anarchists believe that anarchism removes hierarchies (namely the State, and hierarchies it supports and allows to prosper). Right wing anarchists seek removal of the State to allow those very hierarchies to flourish (in the same way that 'libertarians' argue for 'small Government' so they can freely racially abuse people and be free of regulations that stop them acting unscrupulously).

I'm left wing, and I oppose anarchism because I think the libertarians and right wing anarchists are onto something. If the State is removed and we're reduced to a state of anarchy (the Zombie apocalypse hits), the State is simply replaced with 'Mob Rule' and a 'Dog eat Dog' mentality, meaning the disadvantaged in society (women, ethnic minorities, religious minorities, homosexuals, the disabled, the poor etc) cop it in the neck.

'Every man for himself' does nothing to remove hierarchies; it just allows them to flourish.
Anarcho-capitalism often thought of as "fascism looking for a leader".

Geelong_Sicko

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Thanks, but I don't understand. Mass killers crave notoriety. I am suggesting that we strip them of said notoriety. In NZ they even blur out the shooters face on the news.

We can acknowledge and discuss the horrific tragedy that occurred without mentioning the perpetrators name on a daily basis and using it as a point scoring exercise.
On a serious note, I think a lot of that is just a very human fascination for the imperfect, the disfunctioning, the outsider in our society. Their acts are repulsive but everyone knows the name Ivan Milat. Names like Jeffery Dahmer and John Wayne Gacy were known and talked about.

People who do things that are completely against societal norms become known for those very things. It transcends ideological motivation once it gets to that point.

'This person did horrible things to other people. Wow.'

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
On a serious note, I think a lot of that is just a very human fascination for the imperfect, the disfunctioning, the outsider in our society. Their acts are repulsive but everyone knows the name Ivan Milat. Names like Jeffery Dahmer and John Wayne Gacy were known and talked about.

People who do things that are completely against societal norms become known for those very things. It transcends ideological motivation once it gets to that point.

I've got no fascination with the Christchurch killer because he made it very clear why he did it. There are still so many unknowns about the three guys you mentioned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ghost Patrol

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks, but I don't understand. Mass killers crave notoriety. I am suggesting that we strip them of said notoriety. In NZ they even blur out the shooters face on the news.

We can acknowledge and discuss the horrific tragedy that occurred without mentioning the perpetrators name on a daily basis and using it as a point scoring exercise.
Jesus started a movement that killed millions of people.

You celebrate his birthday.

Geelong_Sicko

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Well looks the the far left, specifically the BLM movement fostered by the media just cost Eddie McGuire his job and will gradually tearing this nation apart.
That pot was boiling for Eddie ever since he suggested Adam Goodes could play King Kong... after it was known that he was called 'chimp' and 'monkey' and 'ape' by racists in the footy crowd.

It may have been a case of the rest of his brain having an R.D.O while he worked the jaw that time, but he said that. People remember.

Geelong_Sicko

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I've got no fascination with the Christchurch killer because he made it very clear why he did it. There are still so many unknowns about the three guys you mentioned.
I find myself fascinated with how people fall into extremism. I think the tipping points in a person's life where such things become a 'valid' option are telling, and containg extremism at large depends on examining those moments.

FireKrakouer

I'll beat ya dad up!
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood

I'm fascinated by true crime and psychology, but the line between fascination and approval can become blurred for some. For example, Ted Bundy had "groupies" turn up to his court dates, which is sickening.

Leeda

Talons B Sharp
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I find myself fascinated with how people fall into extremism. I think the tipping points in a person's life where such things become a 'valid' option are telling, and containg extremism at large depends on examining those moments.
physiology and psychology are the most interesting parts of medicine in my vague opinion.. interesting to note that none of us are immune to the
level of scare tactics and this is obvious.. for those who are relatively unhinged.. it is equal to a rocking hundred morning that we all somehow
get to the bottom of what ails us.. we all belong in the end.. strategy is always useless when we try and travel too far too quick..

Pie eyed

Premium Platinum
Jun 26, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Magpies
Has it? Must have imagined the months of riots by Antifa / BLM. Trump and all republicans have condemned the morons who stormed the capital and pleaded with them to cease. Biden / Harris paid bail for those who rioted on “their side”
You did imagine this obviously unless you are one who lies to themselves to justify their own idiocy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FireKrakouer

I'll beat ya dad up!
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's just silly that one day of violence is considered lesser than months upon months of violence. I think people being partisan, including myself, are part of the problem. We need to come together and just denounce political violence of any kind.

Pie eyed

Premium Platinum
Jun 26, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Magpies
It's just silly that one day of violence is considered lesser than months upon months of violence. I think people being partisan, including myself, are part of the problem. We need to come together and just denounce political violence of any kind.
We need to get together and denounce stupid ideologies.
Ones that promote division, racism, sexism and elitism.
Ideologies which claim how much you earn determines how you are treated, which are controlled by and protect those who would steal and profit from the poor, elderly, the in-firmed, those who would allow their benefactors to steal the natural resources owned by the nation, for their own personal profit.

So basically the right.

In the case of this country the Liberal(inappropriately named)/National Coalition Party.

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham, West Ham, Real Betis
This is why ASIO spends most of its time on Islamist threats.

Raghe Mohamed Abdi shouted Allahu akbar before being shot by police after stabbing Maurice and Zoe Antill dead in Brisbane in 2020​
Mert Ney shouted “Allahu Akbar, shoot me, I want to die” during a stabbing spree in Sydney CBD in 2019​
Hassan Khalif Shire Ali shouted “Allahu akbar” while stabbing Sisto Malaspina to death in Bourke St in 2018​
Momena Shoma shouted “Allahu akbar” while stabbing Roger Singaravelu in the neck in Mill Park in 2018​
Saeed Noori shouted “Allahu akbar” while stabbing Antonis Crocaris to death in Melbourne in 2017​
Ihsas Khan shouted “Allahu akbar, I want to die today” while stabbing Wayne Greenhalgh in Minto in 2016​
Smail Ayad shouted “Allahu akbar” while stabbing Mia Ayliffe-Chung and Tom Jackson to death in Qld in 2016​
Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar shouted “Allahu akbar” while slaughtering Curtis Cheng in Parramatta in 2015​
Man Haron Monis wrote “Allahu akbar” before executing Tori Johnson in Sydney in 2014 including the following:​

ELEVEN planned terror attacks thwarted by police in 2014-2016

"kidnap members of the public and behead them on camera and release the footage";​
"detonate bombs at a Mother’s Day running event";​
"stab and shoot police and members of the public at Anzac Day ceremonies";​
"target government buildings including the Garden Island Navy base and Parramatta Court House"​

Last edited:

Chief

Chugging Adrenochrome
Dec 1, 1999
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Portland and elsewhere boss.
Every single day for "months upon months".

How long is that?

Plural "months" means, what, 2 months? Three months? Multiply that out - you're saying there was daily violence for at least 4-6 months?

So in that time there were a minimum 120 to 180 attacks on people by (I assume you mean left wing) protesters without a day's break?

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad