Society/Culture Can we please stop equating the risk posed by left wing extremists with that of right wing extremists?

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Far right is easy. They only react to islam and the far left. Never hear from them when these groups are shutdown or rightly suppressed.
... now. Once upon a time, they reacted if you weren't Christian, or if you were gay, or if you were black; actually, they still kind of have an issue with that. Before that, they reacted if you weren't English, or German, or Japanese. Before that, they reacted if you weren't of noble blood. Before that, they reacted if you looked different and they couldn't enunciate why. Before that, they reacted if they wanted your women or your lands.

So, no, the far right don't disappear when the left aren't around and islam isn't there. They have been pushed back to the point that they combat the left and the acceptable target that is islamic terror (and other muslims by proxy) and if successful will push on other ground conceded in the past.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Terms like RWNJ are inflammatory and unnecessary. Unless you think that everyone right of centre is a nut job - then it becomes hard to find a basis for a rational discussion.

I generally think of myself as right of centre but I was curious to test that. I completed the Political Compass Test as honestly as I could. The results surprised me.

It would be interesting to see how other posters sit on the Left/Right Authoritarian/Libertarian scales.

View attachment 973931
I had a look myself. Hadn't done that before.

1601470518947.png

Huh.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Terms like RWNJ are inflammatory and unnecessary. Unless you think that everyone right of centre is a nut job - then it becomes hard to find a basis for a rational discussion.

I generally think of myself as right of centre but I was curious to test that. I completed the Political Compass Test as honestly as I could. The results surprised me.

It would be interesting to see how other posters sit on the Left/Right Authoritarian/Libertarian scales.

View attachment 973931

1601472004286.png

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets

View attachment 973931
"lockdowns are curbing human rights!"

Says the most authoritarian of those to post so far.

View attachment 973931
Thought I would be slightly right of centre.

Turned out the opposite
d8777c8fc410c9e1a1d9ac28a372ffa1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Aren't muslim extemists right wing? they seem to resemble all the characteristics

It seems that if 'lefties' call out their own right wingers over dog whistling, they are supposedly muslim lovers

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens

View attachment 973931
I think it's US centric. That's why I find it perplexing when Australian big L Liberals feel the need to side with Trump when they would be left of the Democrates

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

View attachment 973931

1601866770897.png

Truly weird stuff.
MyMilitia users are able to create pages for their specific militias, and a number of these groups have coordinated to attend anti-lockdown protests. One of the most popular threads on the site is a discussion titled: Are We Being Lured Into Civil War?

While the discussion begins on the premise that this would be a bad thing, the original poster (a site administrator) quickly states that an “armed conflict” would be “desirable” if it happens soon:

1602486620692.png

I can't see how the BLM and anti-fascist movements and groups are anywhere near as coordinated and well equipped as the Boogaloo peeps and other "well regulated militia" in the US.

While Facebook has not yet purged the Icehouse Hoedown group, Wilkes uses MeWe as a back-up social network, and as a place where he can post more sensitive information. This includes information such as his announcement about a radio training session for members of his militia:

1602486512306.png

Jam police and emergency frequencies? Sure can!

Wilkes feels secure enough on MeWe to cheekily suggest how his militia members might jam police and emergency radio frequencies:

1602488841134.png

Last edited:

davywap

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 10, 2010
on a chair
AFL Club
Collingwood
The discussion in itself is more nuanced and key points go over the head of the OP. OP is dishonest and; like a lot of the RWNJ's on this board after a terrorist attack, after the one major terror attack committed by a RWNJ Brenton Tarrant - this person was like a pig in sh*t to the Christchurch thread.

There's no legitimate grievance - to choose to gun down people in a mosque - or - strap a bomb to oneself and blow up the Young and Jacksons. The nuance is there are reasons of which I tried my darndest explaining to this guy and they aren't just black or white. And yes, it's not nice but, the OP is part of the problem - as long as he blindly supports ANTIFA and absolutely while he revels in the actual statistic - true or false - for his dialogue in this thread.

The extreme's of both the left and right are as bad as each other and poor fuel on the fire. Malifice is part of the problem.
So you're saying supporting anti-fascism is bad, therefore facism must be good

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It's neither left nor right. It's authoritarian. But the modern left tends to overlook and excuse horrific actions that are justified by Islam.

Where is your outrage for several murderous attacks in France over cartoons?

It's absolutely disgusting, and I am outraged. But what a lot of progressive lefties like myself were and still are worried about is the correct denunciation of fundamentalist Islam morphing into a creeping fear of ALL Islam, a fear which builds up into prejudice and bigotry in some people.

This is hardly fair to the millions of Muslims who don't behead others or bomb crowded marketplaces.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
It's neither left nor right. It's authoritarian. But the modern left tends to overlook and excuse horrific actions that are justified by Islam.

Expressed in the Islam thread.

And are you genuinely arguing that Salaffi Islam is 'both left and right?

How? On what grounds?

darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Stevenage

I'm not aware of anyone who isn't outraged by this latest act of terror. It is what happens when the religious right is not held in check - and the extremists of any religion are typically very conservative and very right wing.

darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Stevenage
It's absolutely disgusting, and I am outraged. But what a lot of progressive lefties like myself were and still are worried about is the correct denunciation of fundamentalist Islam morphing into a creeping fear of ALL Islam, a fear which builds up into prejudice and bigotry in some people.

This is hardly fair to the millions of Muslims who don't behead others or bomb crowded marketplaces.

Exactly. The elements of the right who seek to exploit these tragic events are determined to apply some very broad brush strokes. There are what - a billion Muslims world-wide? Clearly they're not sharing the viewpoints of the extremists; we'd all be in serious trouble if they did.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
sorted

Historically used to describe the experiences of fascism and Nazism, today far-right politics includes neo-fascism, neo-Nazism, the Third Position, the alt-right, white supremacism, white nationalism and other ideologies or organizations that feature aspects of ultranationalist, chauvinist, xenophobic, theocratic, racist, homophobic, transphobic, anti-communist, or reactionary views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far-right_politics

Is it not correct to say that fundamentalist Salaffi Islam holds chauvinist, xenophobic, theocratic, homophobic, transphobic, and reactionary views in the extreme?

Fundamentalist Islam is (self evidently) an expression of Islamic conservatism. An extremely conservative expression. While plenty of Muslims hold a more liberal interpretation of their faith, when you get to the numpties of ISIS and so forth, there is no other word to describe that dogma other than ultra conservative and far right wing.

Contrast to left wing politics:

Left-wing politics supports social equality and egalitarianism, in opposition to social hierarchy. Left-wing politics typically involves a concern for those in society whom its adherents perceive as disadvantaged relative to others as well as a belief that there are unjustified inequalities that need to be reduced or abolished.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-wing_politics

In any event, this is not a thread about Islamic terrorism. We have a thread for that. This is a thread about people (such as yourself) who constantly feel the need to deflect from the risk posed by far right wing terrorism, especially with regards to constantly seeking to establish some kind of parity with the risk posed by so called left wing terrorists.

Back