Society/Culture Can we please stop equating the risk posed by left wing extremists with that of right wing extremists?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty gross to downplay just how dangerous the left is, and getting harder and harder to justify. Just look at what the Tories are having to deal with in the UK!

Graffiti?

Is that it?

Here's classic left-wing extremism in action. Difference to most right-wing extremism is that it is actually by those in Government. Scary.

Hate crime bill: Hate talk in homes ‘must be prosecuted’

Conversations over the dinner table that incite hatred must be prosecuted under Scotland’s hate crime law, the justice secretary has said.

Journalists and theatre directors should also face the courts if their work is deemed to deliberately stoke up prejudice, Humza Yousaf said.

Here's another example of what left-wing extremism causes: not only the terrorist attack itself, but the Government putting the fear of God into people to speak honestly and plainly.

Arena bomb inquiry: Steward who spotted Abedi looking suspicious hesitated because 'he feared being called racist'

A Showsec steward who spotted Manchester Arena bomber Salman Abedi acting suspiciously 15 minutes before he detonated his device told the inquiry into the atrocity he hesitated because he feared being branded a racist.

In his police statement, the inquiry heard Mr Lawler said: "I felt unsure about what to do. It’s very difficult to define a terrorist . For all I knew, he might have been an innocent young Asian male sitting on the steps. I did not want people to think that I was stereotyping him because of his race.

"He could have been an older brother waiting for his younger sister. He looked like he was dressed for travel in a train station. People would sit in that area often when they were waiting for trains.

"I was scared of being wrong and being branded a racist . If I ’d got it wrong then I would have got into trouble. It made me hesitant about what to do. I wanted to get it right and not to mess up by overreacting or judging someone by their race."

Here's classic left-wing extremism in action. Difference to most right-wing extremism is that it is actually by those in Government. Scary.

Hate crime bill: Hate talk in homes ‘must be prosecuted’

Conversations over the dinner table that incite hatred must be prosecuted under Scotland’s hate crime law, the justice secretary has said.

Journalists and theatre directors should also face the courts if their work is deemed to deliberately stoke up prejudice, Humza Yousaf said.
It’s paywalled so I can’t read the details.

Because of this, Mr Yousaf was forced to amend the legislation and change the controversial "stirring up" offences section which has been condemned by opponents.

It now means "stirring up offences" would be limited to “intent” relating to age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, transgender identity and variations in sex characteristics and therefore prosecutions could only be brought in this respect.

- So it never happened, the democratic process stopped it from happening. Prosecution in the home wasn’t even a specific part of the bill.

During today’s session, Glasgow Tory MSP and Committee Convenor Adam Tomkins questioned the Scottish Justice Secretary on how you can commit an offence of public order in private.

It comes after Mr Yousaf suggested during the committee session that he would be in favour of the stirring up offences applying inside home dwellings.

Take a step back and read up on these thing before falling for click bait.

Oath Keepers militia leader Stewart Rhodes said members of his militia will be at polling locations on Election Day to “protect” Trump voters during an appearance on far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones’ program.

After making that claim, Rhodes made a number of unhinged statements, including saying Oath Keepers would follow directives from President Donald Trump to take members of the “deep state” into custody and “do what we have to do,” that Trump should invoke the Insurrection Act before the election, that Oath Keepers will “be in range” of Washington D.C., to stop a “Benghazi-style” attack on the White House on election night, and that a war will have to be fought against Democrats on the West Coast who are “bought” by the Chinese government. Rhodes also hyped the possibility of a second civil war where his “battle-hardened” supporters kill the “street soldiers” and “command and control” of “the radical left.” He later claimed the United States is already in a civil war because “you have sitting politicians who are part of the enemy’s ranks.”

OP still valid.

- So it never happened, the democratic process stopped it from happening. Prosecution in the home wasn’t even a specific part of the bill.

Hahahahaha, weakest reasoning ever - "democratic process stopped it from happening". WHY was it happening in the first place? Left wing extremism, that's why.

Take a step back and read up on these thing before falling for click bait.

Pfft not clickbait at all. It was an article in The Times. And it's all Scotland has been talking about in the last 24 hrs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comprehension failure on your part. The amendment was to limit the categories that "stirring up" offences could be applied to but didn't change that it could still be applied for speech in your own home.
I see - it’s still about inciting people to hatred -> violence.

Not if you’re having one of your regular nights where you bark at the wife and kids about how the Sudanese gangs are taking over the city.

I think raging left-wingers prosecuting dinner time conversations in the home makes my mind up for me pretty simply, yes.

What, you're left with some doubt as to whether this is sane and normal??
It’s not even what is happening FFS.

I mean. Just take a look at yourself you shrill idiot.

On top of that you’re pretending that “teh eeeevil leeeft” are the only people who could EVER legislate against people’s freedoms.

It’s hilarious!

This is a bill being debated as per the democratic process.

Don’t get hooked in by the panic-merchants.

It’s not even what is happening FFS.

I mean. Just take a look at yourself you shrill idiot.

On top of that you’re pretending that “teh eeeevil leeeft” are the only people who could EVER legislate against people’s freedoms.

It’s hilarious!

This is a bill being debated as per the democratic process.

Don’t get hooked in by the panic-merchants.

Sorry the difference here is this is being done by a government usually described as "centre left/ progressive" especially on social issues etc. Now cf a government of a right-wing persuasion legislating in this way. It would definitely be described as "far-right". So how about we apply the same standards here and describe the SNP as a "far-left extremist" government?

Can you show me a right-wing government of an English speaking nation legislating against dinner time conversation in your own home?

Yes, you say it is being debated as per the democratic process - that's because there are parties and MSPs that are NOT far-left extremists involved.

I'm zeroing in on the SNP and their Minister here - not the entire Scottish legal system.

Lets be clear here. I denounce extremism and terrorism in all its forms. Islamic, ethno-nationalist, left wing and right wing. You name it.

But I am getting sick to death of the usual crew trying to play down the threat posed by right wing extremism. We've seen recent examples of far right wing extremism time and time again in Christchurch, Norway, Calgary, Oklahoma, Charleston, El Paso, Poway etc etc. Right wing extremists and neo-fascists, radicalised online (via social media sites like 8kun, 4chan, Stormfront, and increasingly twitter, Facebook and Youtube).

Mosques, Churches, Synagogues, Government buildings and employees and other sites targeted by radicalised right wingers. Mass shootings. Bombings. Car attacks. All the hallmarks of Islamic terrorism, replete with internet radicalisation of disenfranchised angry young men (and it's always men) convinced of some sort of 'clash of the cultures' and the need to kill civilians, women and kids 'for a greater good'.

And the problem of radicalised RWNJ's is growing at a rapid rate.

In Australia, Right wing extremism accounts for 40 percent of ASIO's counterterrorism efforts:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-22/right-wing-extremists-asio-islamic-state-tactics/12690002

In the USA, far right wing terrorism accounts for the majority of all terrorist incidents since 1994, committing 2/3 of all plots and attacks in 2019, and over 90 percent to May 2020:

https://www.csis.org/analysis/escalating-terrorism-problem-united-states

And the irony of the above, is you always see the usual flood of right wingers storming in to defend the above, or downplay it. The very same people that were prepared to denounce all Muslims on account of Islamic terrorism, and called for draconian laws and banning of radicalised Islamic extremists and preachers, are now pushing for the Lauren Southerns and similar far right wing agitators of the world and their 'freedom' to spruike their sh*t, and radicalise even more people.

Even worse, they try and label loosely aligned anti-fascist groups as 'terrorists' and draw this false equivalency between them and the radicalised neo-fascist mass murderers from the Right or from the Islamic extremist variety (none of whom I'll name here, may they all rot in Hell).

It's about time that false equivalence was called out for what it is. A deflection and a denial by right wingers and neo-fascists about the evils of the very far right wing ideologies they hold so dear.

Instead of downplaying and deflecting, the real question is: What can be done about the surge in neo-fascist and far right wing terrorism?
Any idea when was the last time a right-wing person beheaded someone?

France has become the enemy of the Islamists due to President Macron's defence of cartoons that depict the Prophet Mohammed.

Three more dead in an incident in Nice. An elderly woman beheaded in a church, a man has his throat cut, another man dies of multiple stab wounds.

Two further attacks took place on Thursday morning, one in France and one in Saudi Arabia. A man was shot dead in Montfavet near Avignon after threatening police with a handgun. And a guard was attacked outside the French consulate in Jeddah.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called for a boycott of French goods.

That’s what hardline extremist religious conservatives will do.

Lets be clear here. I denounce extremism and terrorism in all its forms. Islamic, ethno-nationalist, left wing and right wing. You name it.

But I am getting sick to death of the usual crew trying to play down the threat posed by right wing extremism. We've seen recent examples of far right wing extremism time and time again in Christchurch, Norway, Calgary, Oklahoma, Charleston, El Paso, Poway etc etc. Right wing extremists and neo-fascists, radicalised online (via social media sites like 8kun, 4chan, Stormfront, and increasingly twitter, Facebook and Youtube).

Mosques, Churches, Synagogues, Government buildings and employees and other sites targeted by radicalised right wingers. Mass shootings. Bombings. Car attacks. All the hallmarks of Islamic terrorism, replete with internet radicalisation of disenfranchised angry young men (and it's always men) convinced of some sort of 'clash of the cultures' and the need to kill civilians, women and kids 'for a greater good'.

And the problem of radicalised RWNJ's is growing at a rapid rate.

In Australia, Right wing extremism accounts for 40 percent of ASIO's counterterrorism efforts:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-22/right-wing-extremists-asio-islamic-state-tactics/12690002

In the USA, far right wing terrorism accounts for the majority of all terrorist incidents since 1994, committing 2/3 of all plots and attacks in 2019, and over 90 percent to May 2020:

https://www.csis.org/analysis/escalating-terrorism-problem-united-states

And the irony of the above, is you always see the usual flood of right wingers storming in to defend the above, or downplay it. The very same people that were prepared to denounce all Muslims on account of Islamic terrorism, and called for draconian laws and banning of radicalised Islamic extremists and preachers, are now pushing for the Lauren Southerns and similar far right wing agitators of the world and their 'freedom' to spruike their sh*t, and radicalise even more people.

Even worse, they try and label loosely aligned anti-fascist groups as 'terrorists' and draw this false equivalency between them and the radicalised neo-fascist mass murderers from the Right or from the Islamic extremist variety (none of whom I'll name here, may they all rot in Hell).

It's about time that false equivalence was called out for what it is. A deflection and a denial by right wingers and neo-fascists about the evils of the very far right wing ideologies they hold so dear.

Instead of downplaying and deflecting, the real question is: What can be done about the surge in neo-fascist and far right wing terrorism?
I don't get the thread title. Stop "equating the risk of left wing extremism with right wing extremism "? Are you saying right wing extremism poses a higher risk than left wing terrorism or is your main point that people downplay right wing extremism? Islamic terrorism etc is extreme right wing.. communism is extreme left wing - imo its all shades of s**t at the extremes.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back