JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Rance's physical presence, on-field/off-field leadership, his years of experience, Club first mentality...all immediately absent now but still a lingering presence!
But we have a full pre-season in mature age midfield leader in Pickett!
We have a full pre-season in a 'could be anything player' in Stacky and over his ankle injury!
Jack, Jack Graham's welcome return after starring in the 2019 PF...back for 2020!
Higgo's return and added zip around the Club!
And a full pre-season in the beast...Cut Lunch...with his added leadership up forward...could possibly kick 100 goals in 2020!
With the oldies in the chimp meister, nank the destroyer, jr8, enjoying their short 2019 season and returning with premiership medals and having a tilt at B2B we will still have a lot going for us in 2020!

No reason we can't improve from 2019 - without Rance.

His loss is major. But we already know that we can cover for him.

As far as people carrying on about injuries. It's the same for all teams. If any top team loses their top KPB (talking of Grimes and Dave now) they will suffer. We're the same.

Garth is a good tallish defender. Sort of a slightly taller Broad. He's not a monster and struggles on guys 195cm+ and 95kg+. He's one year older and so hopefully stronger. Balta needs to pick up his endurance, and experience. But could be anything. We're probably better off than most clubs for KPD depth. But it's not awesome.

However our midfield should be stronger. Our forward line should be stronger. If we can control the midfield and score heavily we'll be fine.

Balta is the obvious replacement isn’t he but let’s pray ( :)) Rancey comes back in the mid season draft,he is still on the books which stops other club$ cha$ing after him.

We got hit pretty hard by injuries last year and still won the flag though.

Imagine Rance returning in Winter,huuuge.

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
No reason we can't improve from 2019 - without Rance.

His loss is major. But we already know that we can cover for him.

As far as people carrying on about injuries. It's the same for all teams. If any top team loses their top KPB (talking of Grimes and Dave now) they will suffer. We're the same.

Garth is a good tallish defender. Sort of a slightly taller Broad. He's not a monster and struggles on guys 195cm+ and 95kg+. He's one year older and so hopefully stronger. Balta needs to pick up his endurance, and experience. But could be anything. We're probably better off than most clubs for KPD depth. But it's not awesome.

However our midfield should be stronger. Our forward line should be stronger. If we can control the midfield and score heavily we'll be fine.

Great post mate.

Funny things injuries, yeah they suck and im not suggesting I want it to happen but if we did not have the injuries we had we would not have pumped games into Stack, we would not have finally let Shai Bolton play a block of games instead of being dropped every poor one and look how he as a player grew. We also saw Grimes and Vlaustin, Hell, even Edwards jump up another level.

I trust our VFL program, which compared to the other 17 sides, is elite. We have some serious talent.

Tiger V

All Australian
Jan 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
last year we did not expect to be without Rance for the season and yet we managed , it took a couple of weeks to get over the shock but we managed
this year we know we dont have Rance and can plan for it . Yes it is be a big loss but in the end it is only one person

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
We're better placed going into this season knowing he won't be there all year than we were last season doing the whole pre season prep with him and losing him in round 1......so yes, yes we can without doubt.

It will be interesting to see if we bring in another tall in Garth or Balta to take his spot or if we go with the tried and true setup of 2019.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
As far as people carrying on about injuries. It's the same for all teams. If any top team loses their top KPB (talking of Grimes and Dave now) they will suffer.

exactly this! Collingwood if Grundy or Moore go down will struggle, GWS lose Cameron or Davis then it’s guys stepping up like Finlayson or kids, WCE with Kennedy and McGovern... it’s the nature of the league and salary cap.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Yes we can. It didn’t stop us last year and we lost him unexpectedly after the season started. Losing him before the season and the proper off-season even started gives us ample of time to adjust to a team without Rance.

Gold Rocks

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes we can. It didn’t stop us last year and we lost him unexpectedly after the season started. Losing him before the season and the proper off-season even started gives us ample of time to adjust to a team without Rance.
We stay injury free and we can win

Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Definitely can win !!!
Our depth is second to none & the fact that Rance's absence is known prior to the season proper gives us time to adjust.
Is Rance a big loss ? Absolutely !!! Is it insurmountable ?......absolutely not !!!
This is Balta's opportunity. He is eerily similar to Rance in many ways.
Reckon big blokes find it much easier to nail a senior spot in defence than attack where they are required to make the play and clunk marks.
To be honest I'm much more confident than this time last year !!
At this time last year, We didn't have Stack @ we were not aware of what an asset the Canberra boy Soldo would become.
Chuck in a pre season hardened Lynch and super fit looking Graham and it is more than possible !!!

Bring it on …………….....

Hounddd

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2012
🏆🏆🏆
AFL Club
Richmond
This is slightly off topic, but who was the last top 20 pick who was renowned in his U18 year as being a star KPD, which translated to them having a stellar AFL career as a KPD?

In a round about way, I guess my point is that very rarely were current gun KPDs kicking arse in their first years in the big time.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
This is slightly off topic, but who was the last top 20 pick who was renowned in his U18 year as being a star KPD, which translated to them having a stellar AFL career as a KPD?

In a round about way, I guess my point is that very rarely were current gun KPDs kicking arse in their first years in the big time.

I went and looked for my curiosity, since rance id say are stars or close too;

2008 - Hurley
2009 - Talia
2011 - Haynes (if you count him as KPP)
2014 - Lever
2014 - Moore (tho more as a swingman)

others who were drafted and have some hope

2015 - Weitering
2015 - Doedee - but don’t think he was considered star defender but is a gun now.
2014 - Marchbank
2012 - Corr

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Balta is the obvious replacement isn’t he but let’s pray ( :)) Rancey comes back in the mid season draft,he is still on the books which stops other club$ cha$ing after him.

We got hit pretty hard by injuries last year and still won the flag though.

Imagine Rance returning in Winter,huuuge.
Winter is coming...

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
We stay injury free and we can win
Actually our first 26, or 27 is really strong. Our flag years have seen us play 37 odd players. But going into 2020, I'm way more happy with our depth. Got lots of experience into players and had lots of pleasant surprises. Soldo, Chol I didn't expect to play as well as they did. Then throw in Stack and Pickett. Picketts spot in the 22 could have been swapped with Ross. So, my mantra. Rest players. Rotate them with focus on September.

Can we win another flag without Rance?

We cannot afford to even think about it - there is only one choice - win and enjoy!

Darcy Moore is just starting to move on from his Dylan Grimes-like hamstrings (of a few years ago)...And like Grimes he can seriously play, and will get better...We are into him, and so should every club be...Balta is like Rance of 2008...Exciting, but still learning, a lot...Garthwaite has been starved of opportunities, but there is an element of doubt about him...Astbury and Grimes need to stay injury-free, and Dimma needs to keep in touch with Darcy well after Friday night...

Soberian Tiger

Borat's cousin twice removed from village
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I went and looked for my curiosity, since rance id say are stars or close too;

2008 - Hurley
2009 - Talia
2011 - Haynes (if you count him as KPP)
2014 - Lever
2014 - Moore (tho more as a swingman)

others who were drafted and have some hope

2015 - Weitering
2015 - Doedee - but don’t think he was considered star defender but is a gun now.
2014 - Marchbank
2012 - Corr
The last two, Corr and Marchbank, seem more achievable than Moore. Darcy will have high offers.

Back