Can you smell what the Anvils cookin?

Remove this Banner Ad

KingClive

Draftee
Apr 17, 2002
Fremantle has a new cult figure and his name is Leigh "The Anvil" Brown. The Anvil's performance was exceptional, especially when he busted up a few packs and taking the gutsy mark.

The name "Anvil" came about when Gerad Healy said "Sometimes youve got to accept your lease on life, and his to to bust through the packs like an anvil"

All hail the Anvil!

I've been saying this for a while now but people just didn't believe me the guy is all class. Some people on this site seem to think that he has no skills. But the truth of the matter is that he is highly skilled on both sides of his body and can take a good mark, lacks a bit of pace but will get quicker.

He intimidates the opposition and then cooly strolls off to contest the next ball.

Real Buzz you were so wrong it's not funny.

It's about time Wallsy shut up, he underestimated our 3 "fatties" and now look at them a Vice Captain a classy midfielder and a big defender/enforcer in the making.

Don't like that nick name "the Anvil" needs omething better.

Well, since you brought up my name (so don't come bitching to me Sabre), I will comment on the 'Anvils' game.

He took all his marks playing as a loose man in defense.
Big Whoop.

Any player can take a mark when they're playing in that role.

Andrew Donnelly played exactly the same role against Essendon in 2000, and pulled down 15+ marks. It was Donners one good game for the year.

Tell me when Brown actually beats an opposition forward, or takes a contested mark in attack.

It was a good tactic by Connolly, however.
And it should give Brown a bit more confidence.

Tell me when Brown actually beats an opposition forward, or takes a contested mark in attack.

Buzz, yes Brownie was a loose man in defence but quite a few of those marks were taken in a contest with a couple of others players. eg. Parker and Lloyd.

His foot skills were pretty good and I doubt he missed a target by hand or foot. Have a look at his kick out of defence late in the last quarter. It was a left foot punt of about 50 metres to the boundary line (lack of options up ground), not bad for a right footer who is fat and has no skills.

Let's see as the season goes on, but Buzz you may have to re-assess your opinion on this boy.

Originally posted by TheRealBuzz
Well, since you brought up my name (so don't come bitching to me Sabre), I will comment on the 'Anvils' game.

He took all his marks playing as a loose man in defense.
Big Whoop.

Any player can take a mark when they're playing in that role.

Andrew Donnelly played exactly the same role against Essendon in 2000, and pulled down 15+ marks. It was Donners one good game for the year.

It was a good tactic by Connolly, however.
And it should give Brown a bit more confidence.

O you mean a bit like Wirrpunda or Morrison.
Mr A player of my calibre mans NO ONE!
Mr I roam where I like and get the loose ball

Well, it's not really the same at all, Sabre.
Wirra was always given the oppositions most dangerous small forward last year. He was hardly playing as a loose man in defence.

Besides, if you must know (and I'm sure anyone who used to visit the official WCE forum will back me up) I was very critical of Morrison, Wirra & even Pe.Matera last year.

I, like many others, was calling for Wirra to take on more responsibilty through the midfield. Now he's done that.

But they are very different cases, and your lack of football knowledge is shining through once again.

oh you mean the game where the winged ones had already conceded defeat and were just trying to get a respectable scoreline by flooding like all hell. Oh yeah great effort there.

Donnelly will be featuring on "where are they now?" this week.

By the way shauny mac will be on crapetti live tonight, not a bad show i watch the first 30 minutes of it every second week.

That was exactly my point, Browny.

Donners could barely get a game at the time. He was useless.
But he still managed to pull down 15+ marks playing as a loose man in defence.

Get the connection yet?

Oh I Get it, Brown is a superstar strong man and donnelly was a hack. Good to see that your making some sense buzzzzzzzz.

Originally posted by Browny 3:16
Oh I Get it, Brown is a superstar strong man and donnelly was a hack. Good to see that your making some sense buzzzzzzzz.

He'd be the only one who was...

On Brown, he played a good game in an easy role as a loose man in defense. In this case, the votes should go to Connelly rather than Brown for using him correctly.
My assessment of 'Doughboy' brown is as follows. To be honest, I do think he has potential. How-ever, he lacks pace, he lacks skills, and gone are the days where just being big and chunky are enough. If he's going to be a serious defender, he needs some sprint ability to stick with people on the lead, he needs the strength and finesse required to work people out of marking contests, and he needs to improve his disposal. Its going to take a tad more than one competent game by him before I start singing his praises.

How-ever, he lacks pace, he lacks skills, and gone are the days where just being big and chunky are enough. If he's going to be a serious defender, he needs some sprint ability to stick with people on the lead, he needs the strength and finesse required to work people out of marking contests, and he needs to improve his disposal.

Yes he does lack space and is working on it he is improving his pace all the time.
He made 1 poor disposal and is hell strong and he is great at sticking up for team mates he is a real team player one of the best to come out of that draft along with haselby and pavlich.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back