Travel Canada, Vancouver, Whistler

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll be in America (mainly the east coast) since early December so hopefully I'll be used to the freezing cold. Me and my mate were always planning on visiting Niagra, and we decided we might as well make a small trip of it across to Canada, so the original point of going to Toronto was to check out Niagra.

The CNN tower is down on my to do list now though. Cheers.
we were in Rochester (NY) during December once and tried to get to Niagra, but it was snowed in. Just have to be aware of the ever changing weather conditions up there. We eventually went back in October, a couple of years later, and it was gorgeous.

Thinking of going it alone in Vancouver/BC for a week somewhere in the middle of a family holiday to North America next year. Just curious to hear some suggestions of places to go, how easy it is to get around, recommendations for accommodation and anything else that may be helpful.

Would be my first solo adventure as well so happy to hear any more general tips around that.

Thinking of going it alone in Vancouver/BC for a week somewhere in the middle of a family holiday to North America next year. Just curious to hear some suggestions of places to go, how easy it is to get around, recommendations for accommodation and anything else that may be helpful.

Would be my first solo adventure as well so happy to hear any more general tips around that.
You thinking of backpacking, camping, glamping or upmarket? I did Vancouver and Whistler in September this year. Couldn't believe how many Australians I came across working in bars and cafes in Whistler.

Some of the pics in those thread look terrific. How refreshing it looks.

My friend just got accepted for a university course in Ottawa, Canada and I'm so thrilled for her cos she has always wanted to do this. It's gonna give me the excuse I need to go to Canada yippee

You thinking of backpacking, camping, glamping or upmarket? I did Vancouver and Whistler in September this year. Couldn't believe how many Australians I came across working in bars and cafes in Whistler.
More upmarket in terms of accommodation, but hiking etc is a big part of why I'm going. I'm pretty excited for it, looks like a gorgeous place.

Looking at moving to Vancouver for 12 months in June. I have been researching some jobs, the wages just seem so low compared to here.
Apparently the cost of living is 20% cheaper over there, but the wages are more like 40-60% lower.
Visa application currently pending!

Looking at moving to Vancouver for 12 months in June. I have been researching some jobs, the wages just seem so low compared to here.
Apparently the cost of living is 20% cheaper over there, but the wages are more like 40-60% lower.
Visa application currently pending!

Cost of living depends what you're looking at I guess. Things like electronics, cars and clothes are a bit cheaper. Restaurants and pubs are about the same. Sometimes a bit more due to tipping.

Have you got accommodation sorted? Only Hong Kong and Sydney are more expensive and there is a big shortage in affordable housing.

Cost of living depends what you're looking at I guess. Things like electronics, cars and clothes are a bit cheaper. Restaurants and pubs are about the same. Sometimes a bit more due to tipping.

Have you got accommodation sorted? Only Hong Kong and Sydney are more expensive and there is a big shortage in affordable housing.

Okay thanks. Yeah at this stage we have a 1 x 1 apartment in downtown Vancouver for $1500 a month. Not 100% confirmed though. I've only just started looking at jobs on Indeed to see whats out there.

Okay thanks. Yeah at this stage we have a 1 x 1 apartment in downtown Vancouver for $1500 a month. Not 100% confirmed though. I've only just started looking at jobs on Indeed to see whats out there.

Ok cool. Around Yaletown or something? If it falls through I'd highly recommend North Van. Easy access to mountains, sea-to-sky highway and downtown.

What type of job are you after? I've heard another site advertised called www.vancouverjobshop.ca. Craigslist works too.

Ok cool. Around Yaletown or something? If it falls through I'd highly recommend North Van. Easy access to mountains, sea-to-sky highway and downtown.

What type of job are you after? I've heard another site advertised called www.vancouverjobshop.ca. Craigslist works too.

Great thanks. Yeah its around Yaletown / West End Area. Yeah ill check out Craigslist thanks. Looking at some kind of management / coordinating role in the plumbing / construction industry. I checked out Hays as well which had some stuff. Was just surprised at the wage differential that's all...

Flights booked for Vancouver for June. Still haven't heard about our visas getting approved so hopefully hear in the next few weeks...
We have been offered a 12 month lease for a 1 x 1 apartment in downtown Vancouver so going to lock that in.

1 x 1 for 1500 equivalent in USD would be unheard of in NYC or SF, so not sure where you getting your accommodation costsfrom

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The apartment we will be renting is a 1 x 1 with an actual bedroom, not a studio. We are getting it for $1600 a month including bills. But I've been told this is quite cheap and some people are paying $2000 a month for something similar

Haha I didn't know that at all! Not that there's anything wrong with that... The reason this all came up is because my wife got offered a work exchange for 12 months where someone comes here and does her job, and we go there and she will do someone else's job. Another woman at that company is also going travelling, and its her apartment we are renting. I think that's why its a bit cheaper as we are also renting it out fully furnished. Thanks for the heads up!

Haha I didn't know that at all! Not that there's anything wrong with that... The reason this all came up is because my wife got offered a work exchange for 12 months where someone comes here and does her job, and we go there and she will do someone else's job. Another woman at that company is also going travelling, and its her apartment we are renting. I think that's why its a bit cheaper as we are also renting it out fully furnished. Thanks for the heads up!
One cool thing about living in Vancouver is you can go snowboarding after work. It's Grouse!

Snowshoeing-at-Grouse-Mountain1.jpg

So keen! Great photo. How does Grouse compare with Whistler and other larger mountains? I think we are about 20 mins away...

So keen! Great photo. How does Grouse compare with Whistler and other larger mountains? I think we are about 20 mins away...

Not as high or as many runs but still very good. You also have Cypress and Seymour right next door if you want to mix it up. Much closer obviously.

Not as high or as many runs but still very good. You also have Cypress and Seymour right next door if you want to mix it up. Much closer obviously.

Yeah I was just looking at the season passes etc. Grouse looks like its about $850.00 for the full season but it would add up if you pay that plus constantly paying for day trips at other mountains.

2 x Visas approved - counting down till June... Catfish Alley have you been to any of the Aussie bars in Vancouver that show AFL? I found one online, Mooses down under?

Mooses is the only one I know of. I've been there a couple of times but not for years now. The owner there is nice. They show a lot of sport, have a few Australian beers on tap and serve Aussie pub food. Pretty central location.

If you want to actually hang around Aussies most of them are in Whistler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back