Expansion Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you point me to the plans for Manuka - what capacity will be like, etc.?

All I can find is general thought bubbles designed several years ago.

There haven't been any recently published hard plans, but this from an article on the Canberra Times in September looks like they'd be roughly aiming for what the masterplan had laid out around 2013, which is aiming for 20k.

Assuming you don't have a Canberra Times subscription, here are the key points:
ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr is eager to redevelop Manuka Oval, but said that is dependent on securing a BBL licence.

Cricket ACT and the AFL recently unveiled plans to build an eastern grandstand and upgrade spectator amenities. The development would retain the ground's boutique feel while increasing seating capacity.

Barr is confident Manuka Oval can be redeveloped while a new rectangular stadium is built in Bruce and pointed to Tasmania for a way the territory and federal governments can combine to build infrastructure.

"As part of our desire to work with the Commonwealth through the National Capital Investment Framework, there'd be two projects in the stadium space," Barr said.

"[That would mirror] what happened in Tasmania where the Commonwealth invested both in the Hobart new facility and in improving the Launceston one

The bit where it mentions the eastern grandstand was early mentioned in a parliamentary submission from Cricket ACT, where it said:

Importantly, the ACT Government has a strong desire to reshape the eastern side of the ground, which would likely include a permanent grandstand facility with covered seating for spectators and fans, and appropriate corporate hospitality facilities, all designed to enhance Manuka Oval’s current reputation as the best boutique cricket ground in Australia

I can't find the link at the moment, but I remember an article saying it would bring it up to 20k, which is in line with the earlier mentioned masterplan.

There haven't been any recently published hard plans, but this from an article on the Canberra Times in September looks like they'd be roughly aiming for what the masterplan had laid out around 2013, which is aiming for 20k.

Assuming you don't have a Canberra Times subscription, here are the key points:

The bit where it mentions the eastern grandstand was early mentioned in a parliamentary submission from Cricket ACT, where it said:

I can't find the link at the moment, but I remember an article saying it would bring it up to 20k, which is in line with the earlier mentioned masterplan.

Found this on the internet so hopefully y’all can have a look and see if that’s what your alluding to.

Found this on the internet so hopefully y’all can have a look and see if that’s what your alluding to.

That's the one. It's deviated a bit since then. We've got the media centre.

But I think the current proposal would be pretty similar to phase three to get it to 20k.

Unfortunately the second article is behind a paywall, but it seems that there are still some issues to be resolved before Canberra gets a new soccer team for the 24-25 season. The team was supposed to be finalised mid last year, but with continual extensions the deal is now against a deadline, with the delay and lack of adequate funding from the ACT Government and Capital Football having a negative impact on the future of Canberra United female soccer team.

With continual delays in Canberra getting a men’s team in soccer’s Aleague expansion for the 2024-25 season, now even our well regarded Canberra United women’s soccer team is also having funding issues - with Capital Football desperately looking for additional $ from our ACT Government and other entities to keep Canberra United afloat.

Capital Football continues to explore all avenues to ensure that Canberra United take the field for Season 17, seeking new sources of investment having exhausted traditional revenue and funding streams. We are working alongside the Canberra A-League bid, the APL, and the ACT Government to explore additional opportunities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back