Cancel culture, racism & Collingwood & Carltons club songs

JOELY

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
I didn't know the origin of cakewalk. Reckon if we fast forward 20 years i can imagine it being changed. Doesn't bother me too much, i always go a bit quiet on that line, feels dumb singing it having followed the club for a while.

ThatsjustDappa

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
No they hunt in gangs and belt sh*t out of people who dare not share their opinion.

And publicly at least - the far left are acting in the thousands.

The far right usually act as a lone wolf.

The problem is when you point out how scary the far left is (and how it is rapidly growing) everyone points to the right as though that is some justification.

The people sitting in the middle don't give a sh*t - both extremes are scary - one is just more hypocritical and growing.

FWIW - the black lives matter organisation (as opposed to the movement) have a much broader manifesto than just racial equality. They are rampant marxists also pushing an extreme transgender ideaology. Truthfully it is scary how extreme and emboldened they are

Nah, you're mixing people who protest/loot/violence/do damage as representing the far left. I'm sure some are, but most are ordinary folk just protesting which is their right (well apparently), with fringes on the left and right taking advantage of the situation....

And I have no idea why anyone cares about the black lives matter organisation, i cannot see reference to marxism (is marxism evil anyway?), or, extreme transgender ideology (whatever that is?) in their documented principles. Also, they dont represent the protestors.

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
The OP is patently ridiculous and was a piss take at genuine attempts of questioning what we should honour. Do you see anyone seriously asking for song changes and name changes for AFL teams?

People in Bristol took down a statue of a known slave trader that made his fortune from it. Is this not the 'cancel culture' (whatever that means) we want?

Besides, I'm fairly libertarian on this sort of thing of people petitioning for name changes and boycotts. If a bottleshop or consumers want to boycott Colonial, that's their choice. If Colonial wants to stick with their name, that's their choice. If Colonial wants to change it, that's again their choice. In the end people can vote with their wallets, thought conservatives would defend that to the death.
Of course he was taking the piss And of course people should have a choice but that’s not happening as the media pick up every stupid idea they see on social media and turn it into a s**tstorm. Then you get threats of boycotts, accusations of bigotry and racism and the situation gets worse. If you dare stand up for yourself it’s cited as proof of the accusations. Unfortunately that sort of bullying will continue. By the way, I didn’t think people would petition for changing the name of states, ice cream, beer etc on the most flimsy of grounds but they did so once the idea is planted, anything is possible.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
This is something I disagree with pretty strongly. Irrespective of Blackhearts and Swallows, being sensitive about culture and history is something where you exercise judgement rather than just pick one of two choices. Most of us would draw a line somewhere between the extremes of wanting to rename 'gin', and thinking, for example, that it's acceptable to shout the n-word at a black footballer. That's probably true of most sociopolitical positions; you can support free public healthcare without wanting to nationalise all industry, or support having the national anthem in schools without wanting national service.
Gin, in the alcohol context, is not linked to aboriginal women AFAIK. The name gin in this context comes from somewhere completely different so there's no connection, just a coincidence, hence no discussion about it.

Bourbon isn't from the deep south, it was made pretty much exclusively in Kentucky at the time you're referring to and shipped to the south, so again no connection.
But I am just a humble white booze nerd so happy to stand corrected.
Yeah was gonna say too, surely Gin derives from the Flemish spirit Jenever?
Very similar but Jenever can be based on a much wider range of aromatics- I lived there for a while, if you are ever passing through Hasselt in Belgium, I can highly recommend Jenever-feest!

Does that check out with you Booze nerd?

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Classic lefty nonsense rebuttal.

How so? It's a false equivalency, people bringing attention to indigenous deaths in custody and systemic racism get classic right wing nut job rebuttal "yeah but they commit crimes against each other too!!!!!"

DogsAreBarking

Team Captain
Sep 19, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Malmö RedHawks
Very similar but Jenever can be based on a much wider range of aromatics- I lived there for a while, if you are ever passing through Hasselt in Belgium, I can highly recommend Jenever-feest!

Spot on, and cheers for the tip! I'm living in Scotland at the moment, have to make sure I get over to Belgium for that one this year, travel conditions permitting.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
How so? It's a false equivalency, people bringing attention to indigenous deaths in custody and systemic racism get classic right wing nut job rebuttal "yeah but they commit crimes against each other too!!!!!"
It's a stupid argument to suggest that Aboriginal deaths in custody (which are overwhelmingly caused by the offender being the aggressor, or having a health episode for which prison guards and the police are in no way at fault) are more damaging to indigenous communities than the violence inflicted by themselves on their own families.

I'm curious as to your explanation about how systemic racism by whites is responsible for uncle Jimmy raping his 12 year old niece. Please enlighten us as to why there are 20,000 child protection orders in the Northern Territory, and how white people are at fault.

And while you're at it, please explain which 'systems' are inherently racist. Primary schools? High schools? Universities? Hospitals? Government departments? Specifically how?

Or, is the gap (in health, life expectancy, employment, income, etc.) between indigenous and non-indigenous Australians a function of the way in which indigenous Australians are raised? By their own people.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
It's a stupid argument to suggest that Aboriginal deaths in custody (which are overwhelmingly caused by the offender being the aggressor, or having a health episode for which prison guards and the police are in no way at fault) are more damaging to indigenous communities than the violence inflicted by themselves on their own families.

I'm curious as to your explanation about how systemic racism by whites is responsible for uncle Jimmy raping his 12 year old niece. Please enlighten us as to why there are 20,000 child protection orders in the Northern Territory, and how white people are at fault.

And while you're at it, please explain which 'systems' are inherently racist. Primary schools? High schools? Universities? Hospitals? Government departments? Specifically how?

Or, is the gap (in health, life expectancy, employment, income, etc.) between indigenous and non-indigenous Australians a function of the way in which indigenous Australians are raised? By their own people.

It's a false equivalence. No-one is equating the two except for Murdoch talking heads and far right loonies.

darcytiger

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Is it still appropriate to call the EFC the "Bombers"?

may seem silly, but in the NBA (some years back) the washington Bullets changed to the Wizards as the image of violence in a city plagued by crime was deemed unacceptable.

Given we live in an age of Terrorism, should the EFC now be known as the Bumblebees?
I was watching “The Longest War” on Netflix last night and spotted a little Afghan kid wearing a Bombers jumper. Subliminal messaging from an early age.
25E84067-8F64-44F8-844A-7B5C3622161D.jpeg

may seem silly, but in the NBA (some years back) the washington Bullets changed to the Wizards as the image of violence in a city plagued by crime was deemed unacceptable.

Given we live in an age of Terrorism, should the EFC now be known as the Bumblebees?
Personally think we should go the numerical trend of the 76ers and 49ers.

Essendon 19ers sounds about right

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
It's a false equivalence. No-one is equating the two except for Murdoch talking heads and far right loonies.
Ah yes ‘false equivalence’. You’ve clearly swallowed the Latrobe Uni Humanities Department handbook.
Good luck to you sir. You and your lefty mates keep looking for injustices and wrongs and racism and discrimination in places where there isn’t any. I’ll continue to support and applaud individuals who make something of their lives, and those who don’t look to make excuses for individual failings. As long as you understand that well meaning as your excuse-making and affirmative action philosophy is, it will never benefit indigenous people.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ah yes ‘false equivalence’. You’ve clearly swallowed the Latrobe Uni Humanities Department handbook.
Good luck to you sir. You and your lefty mates keep looking for injustices and wrongs and racism and discrimination in places where there isn’t any. I’ll continue to support and applaud individuals who make something of their lives, and those who don’t look to make excuses for individual failings. As long as you understand that well meaning as your excuse-making and affirmative action philosophy is, it will never benefit indigenous people.
Love your last point. The ‘do-gooders’ who think they’re helping the indigenous to make themselves feel good about themselves are actually not helping them at all. By making them feel like they’re victims all the time, they are setting them up with the wrong types of thinking for success or achievement in life. Victim mentality, real or imagined is destructive to positive living.

There are some moronic posts on here ..and then you come along and say "hold my Beer":

just because you're too dumb to see his point doesn't make the post moronic

Hallstrom

Senior List
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Love your last point. The ‘do-gooders’ who think they’re helping the indigenous to make themselves feel good about themselves are actually not helping them at all. By making them feel like they’re victims all the time, they are setting them up with the wrong types of thinking for success or achievement in life. Victim mentality, real or imagined is destructive to positive living.
Yep, all the indigenous population needs is a positive can do attitude and to pull themselves up by thier bootstraps and they'll be CEOs, lawyers and doctors in no time! /s

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yep, all the indigenous population needs is a positive can do attitude and to pull themselves up by thier bootstraps and they'll be CEOs, lawyers and doctors in no time! /s
That’s a ridiculous comment. Every single person improves from self responsibility and some degree of self reliance. Life isn’t fair sometimes and outcomes will never be equal. But equality before the law is so important. It is the highest of the western values in both law and culture and is suitably revered. It is being undermined by the insidious Marxist impulses of ‘equality after the fact’ that divides people’s and cuts down their skills, self esteem and morals.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Not what we’re arguing for.

If you choose to raise your family in a remote part of the country, whether you’re blackout or white, your children are hardy destined for law or medicine.

Hallstrom

Senior List
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
That’s a ridiculous comment. Every single person improves from self responsibility and some degree of self reliance. Life isn’t fair sometimes and outcomes will never be equal. But equality before the law is so important. It is the highest of the western values in both law and culture and is suitably revered. It is being undermined by the insidious Marxist impulses of ‘equality after the fact’ that divides people’s and cuts down their skills, self esteem and morals.
We'll that's easy to say when we are the advantaged ones, do you just expect those disadvantaged to keep quiet and say "oh well nothing's equal".
We don't side with the disadvantaged to make ourselves feel better about ourselves or give them an excuse, we do it because we want people like you to see that their disadvantage is real.
We aren't all calling for full blown communism we just think society could be more equal.
I think the alt-right oppose this equality because if they had to compete with more people on an equal footing they would be found wanting.
Don't forget the laws you speak of are made by the advantaged for the advantaged.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Do you think that the only disadvantaged indigenous people live in remote communities?
No.

And it's not just about where they live. It's also about how they are raised. Not sure why this is such a difficult concept to understand

Even the "Bombers" beats the s**t out of their former name.

Anyway, back to the OP.

Cakewalk
noun

1. 1.
    INFORMAL
    an absurdly or surprisingly easy task.
    "winning the league won't be a cakewalk for them"

2. 2.
    HISTORICAL
    a dancing contest among black Americans in which a cake was awarded as a prize.
verb

1. 1.
    INFORMAL
    achieve or win something easily.
    "he cakewalked to a 5–1 triumph"

2. 2.
    walk or dance in the manner of a cakewalk.
    "a troupe of clowns cakewalked by"

Nothing to see here.

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton

Corruption of the Latin for juniper, the main flavouring agent.

Bourbon, named for Bourbon County, itself named for the French royal family. FWIW Kentucky was neutral then part of the union during the civil war.

There is some Facebook 'research', chain letter, sovereign citizen level stupidity ITT.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams

Yes it's a false equivalence.

Deaths in custody and other forms of racism have absolutely nothing to do with whether other crimes are committed within that community. It's just a boorish example of trying to justify endemic racism.

It's like trying to justify police violence against people of northern European heritage because some nutjob shoots up a church or mosque or because some "incel" rapes and murders a woman.

You do realise child abuse and other violent crimes are not the sole domain of indigenous communities don't you? Have a look into some stats of violent domestic crimes and child abuse that DHHS deals with and I think you might be shocked.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
I didn't know the origin of cakewalk. Reckon if we fast forward 20 years i can imagine it being changed. Doesn't bother me too much, i always go a bit quiet on that line, feels dumb singing it having followed the club for a while.

The Pies actually changed this line in the song in the 80's or 90's but then reverted back. Instead of "all the premierships a cakewalk" I think it was changed to "oh there's just one team we favour".

The cakewalk line sounds far better.

Back