Opinion Cancelwood Magpariahs

Remove this Banner Ad

At what point do we, as supporters, need to be concerned that our club has become the media’s punching bag?

Essendon brought it upon themselves by experimenting with drugs not approved for use in humans, whom I’m informed made up a majority of their playing list at the time.

Carltank did what Carltank does. Oh and salary cap rorts, which they also do.

St. Kilda decided to pass around a teenaged girl like a bong in a dorm room, and take pics of themselves nude making odd faces at one another, because reasons.

Now I’m sure you’ll agree the media storm was entirely deserved in these instances, but now Collingwood is in the crosshairs for violations against TikTok. WTF?!

There is surely a stage at which we do need to be concerned for the welfare of our players, as Jordy mentioned, or genuinely worried that FA prospects might use the insane level of scrutiny directed at our list as a negative tiebreaker in signing a contract with us. Time for the club to push back, IMHO.

At what point do we, as supporters, need to be concerned that our club has become the media’s punching bag?

Essendon brought it upon themselves by experimenting with drugs not approved for use in humans, whom I’m informed made up a majority of their playing list at the time.

Carltank did what Carltank does. Oh and salary cap rorts, which they also do.

St. Kilda decided to pass around a teenaged girl like a bong in a dorm room, and take pics of themselves nude making odd faces at one another, because reasons.

Now I’m sure you’ll agree the media storm was entirely deserved in these instances, but now Collingwood is in the crosshairs for violations against TikTok. WTF?!

There is surely a stage at which we do need to be concerned for the welfare of our players, as Jordy mentioned, or genuinely worried that FA prospects might use the insane level of scrutiny directed at our list as a negative tiebreaker in signing a contract with us. Time for the club to push back, IMHO.
Yep. Doesn’t need to be via public statements etc either. At least initially I’d like to see a more subtle action through bans on providing interviews to certain media companies or journos. No need to make the public aware of bans, but it would send a message that access is a privilege not a given.

From memory I think the club banned Robbo a few years back?

I agree. At what point does the media's virtue signaling start to be called out for what it is.... which is bullying? Regardless of whether or not this content is being put into the public sphere by the players themselves, it doesn't justify this shameless pursuit of clicks at the expense of the psychological wellbeing of people. This is the sort of behaviour that any parents fear their kids being subjected to by peers at school, and yet the media continually make it acceptable under the guise of 'journalism'.

Yes the players put it into the public domain themselves, but if it wasn’t a story when the AFLW players did it (hint: it wasn’t) then it isn’t a story when Ginnivan and Quaynor (and Poulter?) do it too.

We have had open season declared on our club. A line needs to be drawn.

* it pisses me off having to hear that sanctimonious flog Nick Riewoldt lecturing players about what is "a good look" and what isn't. This is the same prick who had nude pics with his dick in some guy's face released by a schoolgirl who was passed around by their playing group. And he was their captain. Imagine if that s**t happened today.

Great leadership.

* it pisses me off having to hear that sanctimonious flog Nick Riewoldt lecturing players about what is "a good look" and what isn't. This is the same prick who had nude pics with his dick in some guy's face released by a schoolgirl who was passed around by their playing group. And he was their captain. Imagine if that s**t happened today.

Great leadership.
Post of the year in my book. In fact, anyone who has anything to do with St Kilda during that era shouldn’t be allowed to comment on ‘good looks’ and ‘culture’

Yes the players put it into the public domain themselves, but if it wasn’t a story when the AFLW players did it (hint: it wasn’t) then it isn’t a story when Ginnivan and Quaynor (and Poulter?) do it too.

We have had open season declared on our club. A line needs to be drawn.

The Richmond media Mafia have been doing a hatchet job on us for a while, Caroline, KB and John Ralph...

The club and playing group will have their own sets of expectations for players. Key to handling all of this external garbage is for the club to keep its eye fixed very much on those expectations and communicate that clearly and repeatedly to the players. Take care of their welfare and the culture of the group and club from within.

News Limited in particular is clearly targeting our players. If it wasn't clear before to everyone on this board that they have less than zero concern for what's in the public interest when determining what to cover, it should be abundantly clear now. And if you have any lingering doubt, just ask a Liverpool supporter about Murdoch's stain of a newspaper, The Sun.

And don't have ANY expectation of a change of stance on this over the long term, regardless of any embargo the club may consider. To be clear, I 100% agree that the club should prohibit access for the likes of Scott Gullan and his pals as a matter of principal. But we're talking about a media behemoth that thinks nothing of steering the election results of multiple countries as they see fit. The lives of our young footballers mean less than nothing to those who truly set the agenda at a paper like the Herald Sun. And they certainly aren't alone. There are "journalists" working directly for the AFL who are answerable to some of this garbage. Employed by the custodians of the game no less.

All that talks for Murdoch and his minions is the bottom line. If it generates clicks and in any way drives up subscription numbers, and they can manage any PR/legal concerns it might throw up, they WILL run with it.

So do your bit... Don't click on their stories. Don't visit their site, don't buy their papers. You won't miss a thing.

It has been a punching bag for a long time, thats why I loved when Craig stood up for Ginnivan earlier this year. Need to tell the media to * off
That seems to be the start of it this year, but Buckley and his future was a big focus in ‘21 along with Eddie and the do better report.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We go full Tik Tok.

AFL/AFLW players giving a full critique of the professional and physical characteristics of every piece of media flotsam they can think of, all of it concluding that football journos are as deranged as they are unattractive.

Quaynor and Ginnivan should sue the Herald Sun for defamation. Some of the quotes on that were completely manipulated to sound as womanising as possible.

Knowing what the game is and listening to the video I thought it was funny. It is clearly about the person's own views on traits that would bother them in a relationship. That's it. There were no women objectified, only one of the comments was about appearance and that was with cartoonish teeth. The others were how your partner smells and if they are homeless.

I listened to Gary Lyon and Tim Watson gasp on SEN on the drive to work as they read the article and what was said. Completely ripping into the culture and that more education needs to happen.
Watson and Lyon are right. More education does need to happen. 50 year old ex footballers and journos who know nothing about a topic and pretend to be experts without getting the full facts are an absolute disgrace.

Lyon, Watson, Lloyd, Wilson and Hutchinson, you all need to go through some schooling on this topic. Don't comment before you know all the facts, not only do you look like fools, but two young men who did absolutely nothing wrong are besmirched because of your ignorance and laziness.

Last edited:
They print these stories to make money.... I think a lot of readers/viewers of these stories are non-collingwood people....but I think too many collingwood fans are sucked in by the click bait...

so don't click on it... the media will learn the lesson pretty fast because they do it to make money....and money talks

If I was Craig I would have a bunch of quotes and accusations made by media members over the past week and flip the next press conference around and start asking the people that made them what they mean by those statements, how accurate each statement is and where they got their info from. Gotta start holding them accountable

They print these stories to make money.... I think a lot of readers/viewers of these stories are non-collingwood people....but I think too many collingwood fans are sucked in by the click bait...

so don't click on it... the media will learn the lesson pretty fast because they do it to make money....and money talks
Mate, it's like telling a teenage boy not to touch it. That ain't going to happen.

I agree The Royal Sampler and it's time we made a stand. In every pre-game, half-time, post-game interview our players should turn up and NOT SAY ONE WORD. #letthefootytalk

C'mon...are you all ignorant or something? It's looking very likely that we will be playing finals this year, making the media so called experts look very silly indeed. They have to put a stop to it before it's too late.
They can't get us on the field, so best they stoop lower than a snails a-hole and try to get us in the media. It's their only hope.

C'mon...are you all ignorant or something? It's looking very likely that we will be playing finals this year, making the media so called experts look very silly indeed. They have to put a stop to it before it's too late.
They can't get us on the field, so best they stoop lower than a snails a-hole and try to get us in the media. It's their only hope.

i'm ignorant AND something. The professional media people and certainly the media owners want collingwood to play finals because that means more clicks and more money for them...... this crap about the media hating us might be true in individual cases but the media in general loves the pies at the top....

Mate, it's like telling a teenage boy not to touch it. That ain't going to happen.

I agree The Royal Sampler and it's time we made a stand. In every pre-game, half-time, post-game interview our players should turn up and NOT SAY ONE WORD. #letthefootytalk

Club should only do in house media for a while ban any non pies affiliated media and run it through our official site.

The club is under siege and must push back by NOT sanctioning any of these players!
Sanction them for what is my question.

What I think the club should do is put out a statement stating any attempts by the media to dubiously undermine our club or our players reputations will be met with the most stringent commercial sanctions and/or legal action.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back