Boxing Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin - 16th September

Remove this Banner Ad

200px-Adalaide.jpg

Golovkin looked like he could've gone another 12 rounds.

As someone who's only recently started watching boxing, is it worth continuing watching with judges like Adalaide? It was a great fight, but that really took the shine off it.

Golovkin looked like he could've gone another 12 rounds.

As someone who's only recently started watching boxing, is it worth continuing watching with judges like Adalaide? It was a great fight, but that really took the shine off it.

You'll still get to see some great fights most of the time. It's typically the high profile fights that attract a lot of controversy.

Sometimes I also wonder whether it's all worth following. You either get complete mismatches with one boxer absolutely destroying another for 12 or however many rounds, or you'll get great contests, with a clear winner, ruined by the result like we did today.

You'll still get to see some great fights most of the time. It's typically the high profile fights that attract a lot of controversy.

Sometimes I also wonder whether it's all worth following. You either get complete mismatches with one boxer absolutely destroying another for 12 or however many rounds, or you'll get great contests, with a clear winner, ruined by the result like we did today.
I'd always assumed the talk about boxing being rigged/corrupt was an overplayed trope but that 118-110 makes it seem realistic suddenly.

Oh well, at least it was a genuinely fun fight to watch.

Byrd only gave GGG the 4th and 7th rounds. This idiot is either corrupt or has NFI. Extraordinary!!

Tremendous fight btw, credit to both boxers.

115-113 for me. But gave a really close one to Canelo, I could have had it 116-112 too. GGG's chin is just mind boggling, how is he even human. Good scrap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The draw isn't the big issue. The big issue is that a judge could somehow was the same fight as everyone else and score it 118-110 Canelo.

I could've copped 115-113 Canelo at worst (I thought GGG won) 118-110 is a f**king disgrace and another black eye for boxing's credibility as far as I'm concerned.

The only way to be a boxing fan and keep your sanity is to pay no attention to official scorecards.

To me they are absolutely meaningless and I've long ago stopped caring who gets the official nod.

Good idea to totally avoid what the media says about fights too, though they are generally more accurate than the judges.

With that said, Triple G clearly won that fight.

Was the ring general and controlled him with the jab all night long.

Canelo did well in spots and landed the more eye catching punches, but you can't win fights fighting 1 minute per round.

Can't see Canelo signing up for a rematch really. I think that's about as good as he can hope to perform and Golovkin can change the complexion of the bout simply by going to the body more.

Was disappointed that Golovkin hardly did any work downstairs to take away the legs of Canelo, who has never been a stamina king. Quite an idiotic strategy to headhunt all night.

Having seen highlights and looking at the overall consensus from others......GGG won that fight.

There's no excuse for that 118-110 judging but I think people forget sometimes that the judges have a tough gig in the fight. There's a reason why the unofficial judge's score more often than not is closer to what the viewers think than the actual judges. There's no pressure on that unofficial judge....just like any viewer at home watching the fight. We can all have a sense as to who we think wins/loses......but those judges have gotta look at everything.

I hope Adelaide Byrd dies. I hate people like that ruining s**t for millions of people.

That is why I watch 1/10th of the boxing I used to. That was a clear cut victory. There's no two ways about it. It was a clear GGG win. 8-4 at best.

It was ******* one sided.

I hope Adelaide Byrd dies. I hate people like that ruining s**t for millions of people.

That is why I watch 1/10th of the boxing I used to. That was a clear cut victory. There's no two ways about it. It was a clear GGG win. 8-4 at best.

It was ******* one sided.

Slightly over the top ha ha! I guess the other point might be that it was a Canelo crowd and judges often get influenced by the crowd. Either way at that level they need to be professional enough to call it on its merits.

Great fight, I watched it again last night on the tube. Not angry at the draw after watching it the second time.

I thought Canelo looked heavy on his feet from round 1..Maybe packed on to much weight before the fight?
GGG looked ridiculously good for the whole fight and can take that right from Canelo that has put everybody to sleep

Great fight, I watched it again last night on the tube. Not angry at the draw after watching it the second time
See the thing is, most people can see the draw perspective, but Canelo winning 10 rounds? * off. An absolute tragedy. Even Canelo said he only won 7-8 rounds.

Adelaide Byrd should never ever judge again.

The scoring system in boxing needs to change, we have 3 judges with 3 different results. We need all judges to come up with one result. Should be 5 judges in ny opinion but using the judges scores from the fight this is the result I come up with.

Round 1, all 3 judges gave it to Alvarez. Score Alvarez 1-0 GGG

Round 2, 3 to Alvarez, score Alvarez 2-0 GGG

Round 3, 2-1 to GGG, Score Alvarez 2-1 GGG

Round 4, 3-0 to GGG, score Alvarez 2-2 GGG

Round 5, 2-1 to GGG, score Alvarez 2-3 GGG

Round 6, 2-1 to GGG, score Alvarez 2-4 GGG

Round 7,2-1 to GGG, score Alvarez 2-5 GGG

Round 8, 2-1 to GGG, score Alvarez 2-6 GGG

Round 9, 2-1 to GGG, score Alvarez 2-7 GGG

Round 10, 3-0 to Alvarez, score Alvarez 3-7 GGG

Round 11, 3-0 to Alvarez, score Alvarez 4-7 GGG

Round 12 3-0 to Alvarez , score Alvarez 5-7 GGG

GGG wins 7 rounds to 5 based on the scores of yesterdays judges. Knockdowns add a point on. No unanimous or split decisions, just one final score.

Last edited:
Wanted to rewatch it before commenting but haven't got around to it yet. Was a great fight with a really nice clash of styles. Can't let a terrible scorecard take away from that.

Canelo's defence is brilliant and when he throws it's so good to watch. Golovkin's chin is unreal and he did a good job defensively too. Golovkin's ability to work at the pace that he did is remarkable. He's 35, he's been fighting for such a long time now, and he took some big shots to the body early in the fight and just wouldn't stop coming forward and throwing a lot.

I thought Golovkin probably won a close decision. Didn't score it but that's the impression I got watching it. A draw seems perfectly fine to me and even a 7-5 Canelo card wouldn't be a bad score. My thoughts could change on a rewatch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back