Cannot wait for 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kenny_01

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm sick of some of the kneejerk reactions to this game so thought I'd start something a little more positive.

The players have given it their all this season. From the moment the new coach walked in, they have worked their asses off and completely changed the mentality of our side. We have gone from a talented but flaky side to an uncompromising, no excuse football team that is tough to beat.

We just played the 2nd best side at their home ground after travelling in 2 straight weeks and came within 10 points. I simply cannot wait til next season when we start monstering teams at home and winning plenty of games away.

Don't get me wrong, a couple of players were probably out of their depths tonight and they will need to learn and improve or they will be culled from the team such is the nature of AFL footy. However let's all reflect positively on a season which marks a new era for the club. An era where our hopes aren't dashed continuously. An era where we have a sustained period in the finals and may be even bring home the cup. BRING ON 2013!!

I'm sick of some of the kneejerk reactions to this game so thought I'd start something a little more positive.

The players have given it their all this season. From the moment the new coach walked in, they have worked their asses off and completely changed the mentality of our side. We have gone from a talented but flaky side to an uncompromising, no excuse football team that is tough to beat.

We just played the 2nd best side at their home ground after travelling in 2 straight weeks and came within 10 points. I simply cannot wait til next season when we start monstering teams at home and winning plenty of games away.

Don't get me wrong, a couple of players were probably out of their depths tonight and they will need to learn and improve or they will be culled from the team such is the nature of AFL footy. However let's all reflect positively on a season which marks a new era for the club. An era where our hopes aren't dashed continuously. An era where we have a sustained period in the finals and may be even bring home the cup. BRING ON 2013!!

Agreed, I'm sad with the loss but not overly shattered. I think we've got much to look forward to next year. Another Finals appearance will obviously be our aim.

I'm interested to hear which players you are thinking of in the bolded sentence?

first thing's first. walters needs to be presented with a new contract!
it's been a massive year for everyone. time for a well earned rest for the playing group while we recruit some guns and then back to it for preseason number two under ross.

Agreed, I'm sad with the loss but not overly shattered. I think we've got much to look forward to next year. Another Finals appearance will obviously be our aim.

I'm interested to hear which players you are thinking of in the bolded sentence?

Mainly Clarke but perhaps Silvangi even though he had a gigantic task. Perhaps it was more his body language.

However that is OK, both are young. Both will need to add strength and increase their mental toughness. Clarke needs to learn to impose himself on games and keep his chin up even if he isn't getting his hands on the football.

Silvagni similarly needs to be keep his chin up and portray confidence even after his opponent kicks a goal or two which will in turn add confidence to the rest of the group. But he is young and he will will be better for the run - don't write him off just yet. He plays with his heart on his sleave and I'm sure he is as disappointed as anyone after tonight which will spur him onto bigger and better things for next season.

first thing's first. walters needs to be presented with a new contract!
it's been a massive year for everyone. time for a well earned rest for the playing group while we recruit some guns and then back to it for preseason number two under ross.

Agreed, he was sensational tonight. Showed the composure and skills of a 100+ gamer. Didn't fumble when others did.

Silvagni similarly needs to be keep his chin up and portray confidence even after his opponent kicks a goal or two which will in turn add confidence to the rest of the group. But he is young and he will will be better for the run - don't write him off just yet. He plays with his heart on his sleave and I'm sure he is as disappointed as anyone after tonight which will spur him onto bigger and better things for next season.
the other players consistently say silvagni is one our most competitive players. the look on his face would have been bitter disappointment rather than the sooking people make it out to be. that's passion. he just needs to not turn it on himself when he's beaten.

I find myself already checking the boards for Salims pre-season training reports out of habit !

Can't wait to see the names of schloithe, , sutcliffe, Jwk,neale and hopefully Forster all cracking rave reviews

I'm always reserved about these threads. Too many times we've seen a false dawn, 2003, 2006 and 2010. We've not managed to have back to back finals series in our history. We look every chance to do it this time but i distinctly remember the same optimism last time.

Those below us will not sit on their laurels. Essendon won't have as many injuries, Carlton finally have a reasonable coach and are likely to add a devastating key forward to their list, Richmond won't lose anyone of note to retirement and their young team will continue to mature. Brisbane are a dark horse, they seem to be unearthing a few gems, Zorko etc. Will Gold Coast finally mature? There are plenty of intangibles.

It's probably greater than 50/50 we'll lose McPhee, he was superb in the Geelong final but i think lowered his colours against Adelaide. If you look at his year in whole, he'll be mighty hard to replace. He's very hard at the ball and works well within a zone defence.

Michael Johnson will have to continue his great form beyond one year, we've seen his best fall away dramatically from year to year. Similar Walters. Not sure we'll be guaranteed to get 23 games out of Pavlich and 21 games out of McPharlin. We've proven this year we can cope without Sandilands, not so sure we'll be top 4-6 if either of those 2 miss chunks of the season.

Positives; we entered a game, playing a side that finished top 2, missing McPharlin, Broughton, Mellington, Bradley, Morabito, Lower, Griffin who could all makes claim at being top 22 next year, and got within 10 points. We have some real depth now. A few of our youngsters showed real promise, Neale and Sutcliffe look very capable of adding to our midfield depth. Crozier looks like a cross between Hill and Fyfe and hopefully can do a 'fyfe' (defined as breaking out in your 2nd year).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm always reserved about these threads. Too many times we've seen a false dawn, 2003, 2006 and 2010. We've not managed to have back to back finals series in our history. We look every chance to do it this time but i distinctly remember the same optimism last time.

Those below us will not sit on their laurels. Essendon won't have as many injuries, Carlton finally have a reasonable coach and are likely to add a devastating key forward to their list, Richmond won't lose anyone of note to retirement and their young team will continue to mature. Brisbane are a dark horse, they seem to be unearthing a few gems, Zorko etc. Will Gold Coast finally mature? There are plenty of intangibles.

It's probably greater than 50/50 we'll lose McPhee, he was superb in the Geelong final but i think lowered his colours against Adelaide. If you look at his year in whole, he'll be mighty hard to replace. He's very hard at the ball and works well within a zone defence.

Michael Johnson will have to continue his great form beyond one year, we've seen his best fall away dramatically from year to year. Similar Walters. Not sure we'll be guaranteed to get 23 games out of Pavlich and 21 games out of McPharlin. We've proven this year we can cope without Sandilands, not so sure we'll be top 4-6 if either of those 2 miss chunks of the season.

Positives; we entered a game, playing a side that finished top 2, missing McPharlin, Broughton, Mellington, Bradley, Morabito, Lower, Griffin who could all makes claim at being top 22 next year, and got within 10 points. We have some real depth now. A few of our youngsters showed real promise, Neale and Sutcliffe look very capable of adding to our midfield depth. Crozier looks like a cross between Hill and Fyfe and hopefully can do a 'fyfe' (defined as breaking out in your 2nd year).

Good comments as usual RG.

What you do fail to acknowledge tho, Freo will also improve we're not in standstill mode but we have a club now that is willing to make things happen and not give ticks to failed seasons.

Whether the increased improvement is good enough remains to be seen.

Gutted that we lost, but so happy for the season and the turnaround in mental attitude from our players and the message coming from our coach. Old Freo teams would've rolled over and died when Adelaide hit the lead, but we fought on, regained the lead but fatigue set in. Cannot question the effort of the guys out there last night.

More experience into some of our young guns can only be good. Mundy showed last night that he can lead a midfield brigade with his class. Looking forward to seeing if some of the debutantes from this year can crack our best 22 (Sutcliffe probably best chance at this stage IMO).

Crozier looks like a cross between Hill and Fyfe and hopefully can do a 'fyfe' (defined as breaking out in your 2nd year).

This. I immediately was thinking that in the bombers game this year. Similar skill set. Same number draft pick. One can hope... :)

It goes without saying the club need to be really smart with trades, drafting and any free agency. This post season should be interesting just for free agency beginning in AFL alone. In regards to players coming in/out the club needs to address some areas as we all know. The other thing in regards to net season is that Essendon, Richmond, Carlton and maybe even Brisbane will all be pushing for top 8. It will be very competitive. Freo need to make Subi an intimidating fortress and not drop any hope games if we even want a chance of top 4.

So many players were below par last night, I'm sure internally the club was aware this could've happened because of the travel and 6 day breaks, but actually working out how to combat it is another thing when another team is coming at you like we were to Geelong the week previous.

I'll admit even I was screaming at Silvagni on the tele last night. But thinking about it, our two best defenders are McPharlin and Dawsen. From Richmond to St Kilda to Fremantle Zac has been criticised by us 'punters'...so looking at Silvagni, well, he's got a way to go yet in his developement. If we remember he's a work in progress and remember what he is capable of from his previous year I'm sure he'll fit in the Freo puzzle somewhere.

Bring on 2013

Last night I was pretty disappointed, as we all are expected to be after a game like that. Now though, it was a great effort by the guys to get so far and it would have been amazing to get to the prelims, which we probably would have got knocked out anyway. We got more finals experience away, another season of Lyon's gameplan, hopefully Fyfe and Sandi can remain injury free. Development of players in the WAFL who showed a lot of good signs this year, hopefully they get some chances in the team as well and provide the depth we have been lacking the last few years. Long story short, I am pumped for next season. Although it would have been nice to win last night, I still think we probably weren't ready anyway. Next year is gonna be good, can't wait.

I don't know about anyone else but I am hell pumped about free agency and the draft!

Hopefully we can get a Pav 2.0 and some KPP.

We definitely need so KPP's next year, which means some definite height. We need guys 194-198 cm. May sound cray but a possibility is to develop Zac Clarke as a fwd. We have Sandi, Griffen, Keplar and Moellar as rucks Let Clarke concentrate on fwd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back