Autopsy Canny Crows take a giant dump on dopey dogs from up high. 63-62.

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with this in theory. What makes it tricky is that we don't have 22 blokes whose form warrants selection. Maybe 10 if we're lucky. So it's inevitable that some blokes will be getting games without deserving it. Jamarra is one of many players right now who don't deserve to be playing but are.
Prefer someone who could feasibly improve over someone who will never get better.

I agree with this in theory. What makes it tricky is that we don't have 22 blokes whose form warrants selection. Maybe 10 if we're lucky. So it's inevitable that some blokes will be getting games without deserving it. Jamarra is one of many players right now who don't deserve to be playing but are.
Form is a continuum, not an absolute. There will be blokes doing absolutely everything to earn promotion but are overlooked. favouritism is a morale breaker. Bev's been good like that, if you aren't performing, back to the twos, no matter who you are. Competition for spots, clear roles and clear instructions on what you must do.

Form is a continuum, not an absolute. There will be blokes doing absolutely everything to earn promotion but are overlooked. favouritism is a morale breaker. Bev's been good like that, if you aren't performing, back to the twos, no matter who you are. Competition for spots, clear roles and clear instructions on what you must do.
Whereas holding personal vendettas against certain players is terrific for team spirit.

Hayden Crozier, Buku Khamis, Cody Raak, Luke Cleary, Jordan Sweet, Arthur Jones, Louis Butler.

Those were the players who played for Footscray this weekend. Which of those has been doing "absolutely everything to earn a promotion but are overlooked"? Which of those should have played instead of Jamarra?

I heard that Khamis kicked a few goals last week. But don't forget that Jamarra was also frequently kicking 4-5 goal bags in the VFL too.

Martin is over the hill and into the gated community.
I think we have a unit or two free here. Maybe we could be neighbours. :)

Grew up a one-eyed Dogs supporter, but drafted to Port. Played 2 decent games for us as a KPF, where he actually provided structure and a big body. Kicked a couple of goals, and brought the ball to ground for our decent small forwards at the time to feast on. Think he then got injured, struggled in VFL, and was gone. Had a lot to work with, for whatever reasons it never all clicked for him.
(Both Port and us tried him in defence, but was a tad slow, was only ever going to be a forward.)

I saw he was taken the pick before Fev. Would’ve been painful for Port to see his career play out (to a point).

Don’t remember him at all. I was regularly high for large parts of the early to mid 2000’s, so that may explain it.

Hayden Crozier, Buku Khamis, Cody Raak, Luke Cleary, Jordan Sweet, Arthur Jones, Louis Butler.

Those were the players who played for Footscray this weekend. Which of those has been doing "absolutely everything to earn a promotion but are overlooked"? Which of those should have played instead of Jamarra?

I heard that Khamis kicked a few goals last week. But don't forget that Jamarra was also frequently kicking 4-5 goal bags in the VFL too.
Selections aren't one for one all the time, they depend upon how the coach wants the side set up so I'm not speculating on which of your 8 would come in. Frankly, I'd prefer a different forward set up to include Wallis, who wasn't available. He gets the ball in half a game as much as or more than Ugle-Hagan does in a full game and is a dead eye.. That's another issue. I'll take your word on the 4-5 goals in the VFL, if that's the case and he can't replicate it at AFL level then maybe he's not AFL material. If Bev's going to continue with the 2 springheeled marking talls then give Khamis a go. I wonder whether having Naughton and Ugle-Hagan playing deep is going to work anyway, they are the same player. Naughton and Jones worked.

Prefer someone who could feasibly improve over someone who will never get better.

Yep. We could have been playing Schache over Marra in that spot. Would be getting not fantastic production, but undeniably more than what Marra offers. But what would be the point? We know what Schache is. And that's not taking us over the edge or getting us into finals. Marra needs games like we gifted Tim and Gards early. With Bruce out + having a down year as a team there's no better time to do it. Same principle should apply to a couple of others too this year imo (At a certain point I would apply the same logic to playing Cordy over Buku...but that may be slightly more controversial).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know you are in strife going back 6 years now to disprove him and we still only came 7th that year and had a fantastic 4 week block under Bevo sound familiar?
He was still repeating the "we are rubbish" lines last year, and we ended up making the grand final. Dude was just a pessimist. As bresker said, a broken clock is right twice a day.

How about I start repeating predictions that we're the best team in the comp in perpetuity, and abuse anyone who disagrees. Will I have my own team of cucks worshipping me when I'm eventually "proven right" next time we have a strong period of form?

Selections aren't one for one all the time, they depend upon how the coach wants the side set up so I'm not speculating on which of your 8 would come in. Frankly, I'd prefer a different forward set up to include Wallis, who wasn't available. He gets the ball in half a game as much as or more than Ugle-Hagan does in a full game and is a dead eye.. That's another issue. I'll take your word on the 4-5 goals in the VFL, if that's the case and he can't replicate it at AFL level then maybe he's not AFL material. If Bev's going to continue with the 2 springheeled marking talls then give Khamis a go. I wonder whether having Naughton and Ugle-Hagan playing deep is going to work anyway, they are the same player. Naughton and Jones worked.

If you think that Khamis deserves a go then fair enough. But I just hope that it's because you think he's the better player, not because he's Sudanese and you want to see some fairytale of a Sudanese boy making it in the big time. That kind of lefty, bleeding-heart attitude has no place in a competitive landscape like the AFL. There's a reason that capitalism triumphed over communism as the dominant economic system. The first team to start bringing in diversity quotas will drop down the ladder at free-fall speed. Players should be selected on merit alone.

Last edited:
He was still repeating the "we are rubbish" lines last year, and we ended up making the grand final. Dude was just a pessimist. As bresker said, a broken clock is right twice a day.

How about I start repeating predictions that we're the best team in the comp in perpetuity, and abuse anyone who disagrees. Will I have my own team of cucks worshipping me when I'm eventually "proven right" next time we have a strong period of form?
We are rubbish and were for patches last year and most of the last 5 years though. Our list is woefully built and we have no depth it's clear as day for all to see. Pointing out the big 180 switch from you lot doesn't make me a cuck just pointing out how strong you lot went to be proven wrong and start spruking the same stuff he said

McNeil put in short steps on the member's wing when he running with the flight he saw a Crow coming the other way for a mark. He desperately looked around for a team-mate to try and make it their responsibility. That was far more pathetic than his shot for goal.

I watched JUH at times when well away from the play. He moved no differently to Naughton. When Walker kicked that last goal, they BOTH dropped their heads and were both walking as the clearance out of our defensive 50 was enacted. Schache's lack of second efforts early were also obvious. So all 3 are under the pump right?
Are you being serious?

JUH's main issue is that he just isn't having a significant positive impact for our team. A low number of goals is kind of understandable for a young forward given most of the focus is on Naughton however JUH currently doesn't do enough off the ball for someone who is having so little impact on the scoreboard. If he is going to play in the manner that he is currently, then he needs to be super efficient when he gets the ball, but he isn't.

That missed shot at goal didn't just result from poor execution, it resulted from a lack of thought and consideration of the task at hand. The set shot kick occurred in the 4th quarter of the game so even if he hadn't had a previous attempt from a similar location in the warm up he would have at least seen numerous attempts from both teams at that end of the ground, to judge the potential impacts of the wind. A professional low possession forward should have been thinking about how he would kick through the tricky wind with pretty much every previous set shot during the match. Missing slightly and scoring a point would not only have been acceptable it could have helped us salvage a draw. A player who is having lots of shots and having a positive impact in other areas can be excused for just going back and having a ping without thinking that deeply about it, but currently he isn't that type of player.

JUH needs a significant injection of either desperation or self awareness.

Crozier didn't play yesterday but I take your point on the rest. I think it's time to give Khamis an opportunity and I don't really care who he replaces.

So the case for keeping Martin in the side is so that we don't get bullied by blokes like O'Brien, which is exactly what happened with Martin in the side?
Did I actually advocate for keeping Martin in? You're slipping.

Maybe we go with the setup for one centre bounce yesterday where we either cocked up the magnets or interchange or both, so Macrae actually rucked the centre bounce. O'Brien smashed that one 20m forward.

Do you think Cordy (who a poster on here highlighted only played about 70% TOG) and Schache are viable? If not Martin and not Sweet and English injured, maybe we adopt something similar to the retreat on the mark tactic, and at ruck contests all the mids in the area line-up 20m on the defensive side?

Did I actually advocate for keeping Martin in? You're slipping.

Maybe we go with the setup for one centre bounce yesterday where we either cocked up the magnets or interchange or both, so Macrae actually rucked the centre bounce. O'Brien smashed that one 20m forward.

Do you think Cordy (who a poster on here highlighted only played about 70% TOG) and Schache are viable? If not Martin and not Sweet and English injured, maybe we adopt something similar to the retreat on the mark tactic, and at ruck contests all the mids in the area line-up 20m on the defensive side?

What you said was illogical, brother. You're a good poster most of the time. Learn from your mistakes and move on.

He has been proven to be that far correct that you are all making his exact arguments
MD's arguments:
  • Dale is sh1t - AA defender
  • Jong is sh1t - given his injury history, he was still best 22 in 2016 finals until injured
  • Liam Jones was giving him "inside" info - LOL
  • Bevo is autocratic and our assistants are sh1t - no one argued Bevo isn't autocratic, and looks like our assistants were good after all
  • constantly posted "anyone who disagrees with me knows nothing about football" - LOL
  • if someone posted an opposite view to his in the interests of discussion, immediately reverted to personal insults/name-calling ("lefties" was his default - he seemed to think that was some sort of insult, but one time when challenged on what a leftie actually is, was so far off the mark it wasn't funny)

There's probably a lot more, but that last one showed time and again he could not participate in a respectful exchange of opinions.

Many posters on here disagree with each other at times, even in recent posts above, very few resort to name-calling and insults when challenged. MD was a cancer on this board, and side-tracked virtually every thread he posted in.

I'd wager not one mod misses him.

What you said was illogical, brother. You're a good poster most of the time. Learn from your mistakes and move on.
What part was illogical? We're f***ed in the ruck with or without Martin, but what are the viable alternatives? English unavailable, Sweet non-existent form-line.
Cordy/Schache when Cordy can't run out a full game playing on the ball. Schache can, but if they're splitting ruck 50/50, they'll both be too f***ed to rest anywhere except the bench.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back