Opinion Can't kick, can't play football

Remove this Banner Ad

At his presser Hinkley was asked about our low skill levels. He smiled and said there is no fairy dust that we can sprinkle and fix it. He also admitted that the Coaching staff know there is a skills problem and they practice consistently. He also tried to diffuse the criticism by saying that all clubs have the skills problem.

The fact that the Coach was trying to make light of our now widely recognised low skill levels is pretty poor because it is a serious problem and no laughing matter. The fact that the Coach admits that there is a problem and that the players work on it at every practice session, while commendable, indicates that what they are doing is not working.

The fact that members of the media focused on two areas, our low skills and our lack of ruck support for Paddy Ryder, indicates that it is not just a few of us on this site having a grizzle. These are now widely identified issues and they have to be addressed with more than a smirk and a reference to 'fairy dust'. Ken Hinkley gets paid several Ks per year to improve our performance and from where I sit he is not doing it.

Personally I think our problems are pretty unique and relate to us alone but if several other clubs have skill related issues maybe Ken needs to look at what they are doing to overcome their problems and copy it ?

Unfortunately AFL clubs are not good at developing kicking skills. The players spend too long doing things other than training skills - team meetings, strength and conditioning, days off, etc. And if they spend too long on the track kicking footballs, the sports science gurus will end up in a frenzy worrying about overuse injuries and the like.

The upshot of all of this is that unless you come into the system as a naturally gifted kick of the football, you're unlikely to ever master the skill.

athletes vs footballers

perhaps if we have rule changes, we should consider reducing the impact of athletes

It's a fine line though. Powell-Pepper is a footballers footballer but his disposal by foot isn't great. Would we give him up now for a better kick drafted after pick 18? I doubt it. But will Ollie Florent continue to develop nicely. Sliding doors.

It's a fine line though. Powell-Pepper is a footballers footballer but his disposal by foot isn't great. Would we give him up now for a better kick drafted after pick 18? I doubt it. But will Ollie Florent continue to develop nicely. Sliding doors.

Fortunately we have the opportunity to get rid of non-athletic non-footballers before we target SPP

These are now widely identified issues and they have to be addressed with more than a smirk and a reference to 'fairy dust'. Ken Hinkley gets paid several Ks per year to improve our performance and from where I sit he is not doing it.

"Youse blokes have just got ter work more hardery at kicking the ball. Not now Billy, I'm drinking me coke."

From Hinley's presser last night.

Port dominated the inside 50 count – 69 to 49 – and had 21 more contested possessions, but could only manage five majors for the night.

"There's one stat we're not good at, and that's efficiency," Hinkley said.

"Until we fix efficiency, we'll always put ourselves in this position.

"We work hard at efficiency,
we don’t not, but so far we continue to deliver in the same spots.

“We dominated two quarters in the middle and we just couldn’t score.

“The conditions made it bloody hard to score, there’s no secret about that, but we had more opportunities to score more than we did and they were able to score.”

Stop telling us how hard you have been working, you dumb campaigner.

Why don't you ever say we have been working smart on improving our basic skills?? Because you are too f**king dumb???

I looked at last nights kicking and we did kick straight.......straight to the opposition.

This is nerves and composure. Instead of looking at where we should place it, we look at the opposition and think “I hope I don’t kick it there”.

I don’t understand how one doesn’t feel at home on the park

Port dominated the inside 50 count – 69 to 49 – and had 21 more contested possessions, but could only manage five majors for the night.

“The conditions made it bloody hard to score, there’s no secret about that, but we had more opportunities to score more than we did and they were able to score.”

Why don't you ever say we have been working smart on improving our basic skills?? Because you are too f**king dumb???
"We don't not work hard at efficiency"

Gee that fills me with confidence

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They should spend a week doing simple lane work kicking, nothing more. Hawthorn in the 80's did a lot of it, worked bloody well for them. Teaches the basics, hit a target, mark out in front or on the chest, and back up your team mates. Our skills are that poor they may as well work on the basics first.

Good that this thread has been bumped because as I watched the Magpies v North game on the week end I could not help but notice Joe Atley. Maybe I caught Joe on an off day and maybe the conditions were against him but from what I saw he has to have some of the the lowest kicking skills on our list. Atley gets the ball often enough but as the thread says, if you can't kick you can't play.

Can we not hire Jay Schulz?
We workery hardery on goal kicking insidery the clubery we need no help.

Jay offered to help Butch at one point and the club knocked him back of course players could seek their own outside help but are probably not encouraged to do so.

View attachment 701257

f o r t y t w o pe r c e n t
That 42% includes the times when Ollie accidentally hits a target too. Choco was on radio last year spruiking his program
that develops kicking skills complete with specially painted markings on footballs. Said it had improved Dustin Martin's kicking.
In my era a premium was put on kicking skills. If you couldn't master it you didn't get picked in school under-age teams.
Certainly not the A grade ones anyway.
In those days you prided yourself on being able to drop kick, stab pass, screw punt/torpedo/barrel and even the flat punt.
The latter perfected by Hawthorn's FF Peter Hudson.

The now universal focus on the drop punt means there is no excuse for poor kicking. Sheesh you'd think for their own pride
Ollie and others would have fixed their issues years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That 42% includes the times when Ollie accidentally hits a target too. Choco was on radio last year spruiking his program
that develops kicking skills complete with specially painted markings on footballs. Said it had improved Dustin Martin's kicking.
In my era a premium was put on kicking skills. If you couldn't master it you didn't get picked in school under-age teams.
Certainly not the A grade ones anyway.
In those days you prided yourself on being able to drop kick, stab pass, screw punt/torpedo/barrel and even the flat punt.
The latter perfected by Hawthorn's FF Peter Hudson.

The now universal focus on the drop punt means there is no excuse for poor kicking. Sheesh you'd think for their own pride
Ollie and others would have fixed their issues years ago.
add to the fact that his main weapon, his handballing, is just as bad these days, either hitting a players feet or hitting an oppo on the chest.

View attachment 701257

f o r t y t w o pe r c e n t

That's incredible. You'd think a footballer of any level could get at least 50% just by accident.

Maybe Ollie should start deliberately aiming for opposition defenders and we'll see if we can't get that up to 58%?

I'm trying to work out if Ollie's kicking skills are so bad, what did he offer besides ok media skills that made him a captaincy candidate in the first place?

This article was written about Dan Houston after he played in the middle in the China game, but it had stats about our midfield. The AFL average for kicking efficieny for midfielders is 60.5%

Collectively, the Power’s midfield, including wingmen, have registered a kicking efficiency of 56.6 per cent this season — the second-lowest in the competition.

Only Gold Coast midfielders have hit less targets by foot in 2019. Enter Dan Houston.
But as good as they’ve been (Rockliff+Boak) - Boak in particular - both have recorded a below-average kicking efficiency of 55 per cent or less. Other midfield regulars Sam Powell-Pepper (50.4 per cent) and Ollie Wines (42.9 per cent) are even less-efficient by foot. Houston’s kicking efficiency of 76 per cent is seven per cent higher than any Power player classified as a midfielder.

PORT ADELAIDE’S MIDFIELD BY FOOT
Xavier Duursma (Wing)
69.2% - Above Average

Karl Amon (Wing)
68.7% - Above Average

Willem Drew (Mid)
63.9% - Above Average

Tom Rockliff (Mid)
55.3% - Below Average

Travis Boak (Mid)
54.4% - Below Average

Sam Powell-Pepper (Mid-Fwd)
50.4% - Below Average

Robbie Gray (Mid-Fwd)
49.3% - Below Average

Ollie Wines (Mid)
42.9% - Poor

*Ratings are based off players position

I'm trying to work out if Ollie's kicking skills are so bad, what did he offer besides ok media skills that made him a captaincy candidate in the first place?
From todays paper and I quote Ollie
"Tommy and I are the leaders for a reason and we will stand up for the boys until we die"

Ollie Wines (Mid)
42.9% - Poor
From same article linked ^ and I quote

"Myself I am not in the best form at AFL level so I have to lift that and set the standard in things that aren't skill related" o_O

By this logic the guy on top $ as head co-chef can't cook but will set the standard in err what.... peeling spuds ?

"Tommy and I are the leaders for a reason and we will stand up for the boys until we die"

"Myself I am not in the best form at AFL level so I have to lift that and set the standard in things that aren't skill related" o_O

By this logic the guy on top $ as head co-chef can't cook but will set the standard in err what.... peeling spuds ?

It is an extraordinary comment for him to make but not surprising after in the lead up to the showdown last year he spoke convincingly about the team's skills and his kicking skills not being good. Not usually but sometimes a competent board or a CEO have to intervene on such matters of making a fellow like this the captain, and the other fellow, but they didn't.

I don't mind that last quote so much. Your captain isn't always going to be the most skilled player in the team, and certainly their job is to set standards in the contest (which Wines obviously failed dismally at on the weekend).

However having said that, being a midfielder with one of the worst kick ratings in the comp is pretty shocking for a leader. Maybe if he was putting up Cripps/Cunnington levels of contested ball and clearance you could cut him some slack.

The club does not ask any individual to die for it.
I am glad that it doesn't.
It asks for there to be nothing left in the tank at completion of a game if the club is defeated.

Seems we reinforce bad traits from Ken calling us a bad kicking side in previous years to Ollie saying it about himself on radio, it doesn't matter if it's true you don't air that stuff and it must be a deflating thing for players to hear.. they need to believe in improvement.

YIKES!

Seems we reinforce bad traits from Ken calling us a bad kicking side in previous years to Ollie saying it about himself on radio, it doesn't matter if it's true you don't air that stuff and it must be a deflating thing for players to hear.. they need to believe in improvement.

YIKES!
Gut wrenching cringeworthy whatever it's one thing to talk crap on a forum like this quite another on public radio.
Whoever doesn't hear it live will via the advertiser or social media. Where is the coaching staff in all this and why wasn't Ollie briefed
on how to deal with an obvious Q. Ollie comes across as too naive for his own good. These sharks are not his friends and never will be.
They'll chew him up and spit him out. He's Port after all.

What's going on at Alberton that a flawed kicking action can't be improved enough for it to not be the issue it now is.
Yeah we've known about it on here for years but to come out publicly is crazy dumb.
This horrible scenario is at Ken's feet. I dunno what else can go wrong this year.
Oh wait it's showdown time........ yay. Even if we win it'd probably only get a meh from me.
A 1-6 record v Pyke takes some getting over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back