Opinion Canterbury and our guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

This was the best our jumper ever looked in my opinion. Big, wide stripes that almost wrap around the jumper uninterrupted. I'm not really a fan of the modern jumper's style which is more like 3 thin stripes down the middle.
View attachment 846730

To be fair, Blighty would make any jumper look good.

Was looking at the 99 premiership photo, and not really a fan of the white shorts/hooped socks. And throw in Fruity's hooped long sleeves and the whole thing is too busy for my liking.

I'm terribly old fashioned, but everything looked better in the 70's.

Last edited:

Senior List
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wash your mouth out our jumper looks magnificent with white shorts.
And it’s even more striking with the hooped socks

100% agree. The 99 grand final kit was beautiful and stood in great contrast to Carlton's dark kit. The most aesthetically pleasing contrast IMO is all white shorts North vs black shorts Essendon - the white and blue vs black and red is perfect.

gettyimages-1554418-612x612.jpg

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
100% agree. The 99 grand final kit was beautiful and stood in great contrast to Carlton's dark kit. The most aesthetically pleasing contrast IMO is all white shorts North vs black shorts Essendon - the white and blue vs black and red is perfect.

View attachment 848092

Can't say I find anything aesthetically pleasing about Essendon. As Wels Eicke said, the best era was the 70s, because Essendon wore red shorts and were largely irrelevant.

Sep 18, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This was the best our jumper ever looked in my opinion. Big, wide stripes that almost wrap around the jumper uninterrupted. I'm not really a fan of the modern jumper's style which is more like 3 thin stripes down the middle.
View attachment 846730

Here's how I'd do it on the modern Canterbury template:
View attachment 846731
Some inspiration from the 2000s style front sponsor logo that doesn't cut a big chunk out of the stripes, and also I did the back sponsor the way Collingwood did it this year, where it's on top of the stripes instead of the stripes cutting off below it. Also included the old monogram above the number (a few clubs are doing it now) and the regular club logo above the front sponsor.

If the club really wants pinstripes, here's a version with actual pinstripes instead of whatever they're wearing at the moment:
View attachment 846732

looks sensational!! Watching the Brisbane Game from 2010 and can’t help but feel that’s “our” guernsey as opposed to the darker one worn against the Saints.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
looks sensational!! Watching the Brisbane Game from 2010 and can’t help but feel that’s “our” guernsey as opposed to the darker one worn against the Saints.

the stripes were a bit thin in the 2000s in my opinion, which made the jumper mostly white. Something we had back then that we don't anymore: black numbers. I'd love to see those come back. I know it's not one of our colours but that's how it always was

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne

View attachment 848092
I'd luv to know, HTF Carlton was granted the home team uniform that year? FFS!

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For OUR home game? They'll obviously be wearing a white jumper so it makes sense that they should wear white shorts.

1585569237213.png

this matchup is a pain to watch, both teams having a similar proportion of blue and white in the kits. it'd be even worse now that the bulldogs wear a thick white hoop.

1585569342359.png

this one's ridiculous. two century old clubs wearing modern alternate strips instead of the jumpers they've always worn. To enable the bulldogs to wear a clash jumper against us, North have to also wear essentially a clash jumper.

1585569452449.png

this is just a sensible compromise. Both clubs wearing their historical kits. We've won two premierships in white shorts, I don't care about flexing that we're the home team. This just looks better. It'd look even better if North's jumper had wider stripes on it and the sponsors didn't cut big chunks out of them, but this is what we've got.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
View attachment 849704
this matchup is a pain to watch, both teams having a similar proportion of blue and white in the kits. it'd be even worse now that the bulldogs wear a thick white hoop.

View attachment 849706
this one's ridiculous. two century old clubs wearing modern alternate strips instead of the jumpers they've always worn. To enable the bulldogs to wear a clash jumper against us, North have to also wear essentially a clash jumper.

View attachment 849707
this is just a sensible compromise. Both clubs wearing their historical kits. We've won two premierships in white shorts, I don't care about flexing that we're the home team. This just looks better. It'd look even better if North's jumper had wider stripes on it and the sponsors didn't cut big chunks out of them, but this is what we've got.
I've never had too many issues telling North and Footscray apart when we're wearing blue shorts and they're wearing white.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
View attachment 849704

View attachment 849706

View attachment 849707
I do prefer the original jumper with blue shorts, but when that wasn't going to happen due to the 'clash' policy, having the royal blue 'reverse strip' is better, stronger looking than the one you like, imho. White (shorts) looks weak on every team, bar Geelong, and in our case it represented being the 'away' team when we were the home team.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I do prefer the original jumper with blue shorts, but when that wasn't going to happen due to the 'clash' policy, having the royal blue 'reverse strip' is better, stronger looking than the one you like, imho. White (shorts) looks weak on every team, bar Geelong, and in our case it represented being the 'away' team when we were the home team.

1585581942475.png

i don't see any weakness here

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
We’re talking about the aesthetics of the strip. I do.

Funnily enough, it isn’t actually related to the players who pull on the jumper.

That said, we didn’t win a game in the all white monstrosity and the current ‘reverse’ strip was, I believe, driven by the players.

View attachment 851141

This was posted in the commentary/media thread but deserves to be here. Is it possible to have a better looking jumper than this one? Swap out Smokefree with Mazda and thats what we should be running out in every week.
In saying that I loved the SmokeFree and black number on the back of the jumper

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
I have a dream...that one day North Melbourne will once again wear a White V-neck guernsey with thick royal blue vertical stripes that aren’t cut off by the Mazda logo or its Worldmark. Royal Blue shorts and socks, and the old ‘NMFC’ crest above the Mazda logo. White shorts and blue socks for the away, and the ‘Bounding Roo’ as our clash jumper. (We can also rock the hooped socks now and again).

View attachment 849770

Yep, looks great. Too many blue teams, majority white is our point of difference. The shorts look great too, what was written on the side? Is it just NMFC? I can't quite make it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back