Capricornia league

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Guys, any gossip news for 2014 yet like who's coaching who,who's left or who's arrived at your club. whens training start?

I'm aware that it's been a disastrously long time between posts here but a story has made me want to revive it. Basically Gladstone are having an EGM this Sunday to determine whether the club will change its identity from Mudcrabs to Suns. The premise is for the club to get a fresh start and to assist in keeping junior and youth players. The problem with this is that Gladstone as a region is struggling and no matter what they're called getting the financial backing and the playing stocks is going to be challenging at best. Will be interesting to see what the result of the vote is.

I'm aware that it's been a disastrously long time between posts here but a story has made me want to revive it. Basically Gladstone are having an EGM this Sunday to determine whether the club will change its identity from Mudcrabs to Suns. The premise is for the club to get a fresh start and to assist in keeping junior and youth players. The problem with this is that Gladstone as a region is struggling and no matter what they're called getting the financial backing and the playing stocks is going to be challenging at best. Will be interesting to see what the result of the vote is.

Yuck, the clash with the swans would be interesting.
All over Qld you see clubs struggling, I put it to numbers as much as anything as you only need 30 players for two league teams but you need almost 50 for two Aussie Rules.

Is there job opportunities for footballers up that way I'm from Victoria looking to get a job in the mines whilst having a kick. Looking at moving up somewhere north qld after Christmas for better work oppotunities with my small family. 29yrs old played high level of country Victorian football as a mid/half back, past 3 years have won 3 b&f.

Well this weekend I assume a sponsors obligation means AFLX has infiltrated the region. With the Frenchville Sports Club being the sponsor I suppose playing on their soccer pitch would give them good exposure as well as continuing to back the competition.

Well this weekend I assume a sponsors obligation means AFLX has infiltrated the region. With the Frenchville Sports Club being the sponsor I suppose playing on their soccer pitch would give them good exposure as well as continuing to back the competition.
Wasn't to bad of a day I though,t great viewing from the stand and inside just a long day especially for the BITS club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So after 5 games

- Yeppoon are still belting everyone by plenty in senior men's (and by not as many in Reserves)
- Gladstone are still in the cellar but at least are fielding 2 full teams
- Glenmore are struggling performance wise having lost many of their guns from last year
- BITS and Panthers basically fighting it out for second, Brothers in the 4 after disposing of Gladstone and Glenmore by 100+ at home.
- Umpires are apparently getting dropped to being Goal Umpires for "Awarding TOO MANY Free Kicks" (according to my cohort in the women's game on Saturday)
- I'm feeling a power surge when awarding starting position free kicks (I say Starting Position instead of 6-6-6 because one of those was in a women's game where it's 5-6-5). Both times the infringing team having had their warning had too many in the mid zone (the Under 13's warning was for 1 winger, the women's warning was for not being in the goal square, both frees post warning had a player fail to get into their defensive zone in time)

So after 5 games

- Yeppoon are still belting everyone by plenty in senior men's (and by not as many in Reserves)
- Gladstone are still in the cellar but at least are fielding 2 full teams
- Glenmore are struggling performance wise having lost many of their guns from last year
- BITS and Panthers basically fighting it out for second, Brothers in the 4 after disposing of Gladstone and Glenmore by 100+ at home.
- Umpires are apparently getting dropped to being Goal Umpires for "Awarding TOO MANY Free Kicks" (according to my cohort in the women's game on Saturday)
- I'm feeling a power surge when awarding starting position free kicks (I say Starting Position instead of 6-6-6 because one of those was in a women's game where it's 5-6-5). Both times the infringing team having had their warning had too many in the mid zone (the Under 13's warning was for 1 winger, the women's warning was for not being in the goal square, both frees post warning had a player fail to get into their defensive zone in time)

Great update. No one getting close to Yeppoon....... bugger.

Nearly June, any updates from the Capricornia competition?

Basically Yeppoon still belting teams by as far as John Daly used to belt them down the fairway (percentage is 1281%, not a typo), although they did get challenged at times against Panthers and BITS before still winning easily. Their winning margins this year have been 136, 177, 239, 197, 90, 49, 261, 194, 181 holding 3 teams scoreless (games 1, 3 and 9) with another 2 games conceding only 7 (games 4 and 8). Last weekend they still dominated despite missing 2 key players and their coach who was with the North Queensland....sorry Cairns invitational team. Panthers comfortable second, BITS 3rd, Brothers 4th having beaten a depleted BITS on Saturday for the first time in 9 years (often in the regular season they'll travel short on players due to work commitments, with 4-6 players doubling up making sure they don't play more than 9 senior games to remain eligible for the 2's finals). Glenmore and Gladstone have traded road wins against each other with the Bulls 3 games and 33% behind 4th. 6 games left with 2 games before a fortnight's break for school holidays (used to be a week).

Yeppoon's 2's are also undefeated but not as dominant (not winning by a hundred just about every week, their winning margins have been 52, 66, 59, 161, 76, 83, 48, 43, 93), Brothers 2nd 3 games behind, Panthers and BITS both a game further back. Glenmore have beaten Gladstone twice but are 3 games and 52% behind 4th.

Panthers and Glenmore as usual leading the pack in the women's with Panthers undefeated, BITS and Brothers (Sisters) trading places in the 4, but only a game ahead of an improving Gladstone (albeit also with a percentage 71% behind 4th) with Yeppoon winless.

Yeppoon and BITS evenly matched in 17's having traded wins against each other. Glenmore are 3rd cobbling together a team most weeks, Panthers 4th by a game and a half having had a draw with Gladstone (their only points for the season). Brothers are 5th.

Panthers yet to lose a game in 15's, Yeppoon not all that far behind them despite having lost to them twice. BITS a game further back, Glenmore 3 games behind with Gladstone and Brothers having traded road wins and seperated by 0.3% (and given Brothers basically have about 10 kids of Under 15 eligibility it would have been like a premiership to win a game).

Brothers yet to lose a game in the Under 13's with 8 wins and a draw against Panthers. BITS a clear second, Yeppoon 3rd with the other 3 teams having had 2 wins and a draw (Gladstone drew with Glenmore, the Suns are in the 4 with a far superior percentage 57% ahead of Panthers who are 22% ahead of Glenmore).

Basically Yeppoon still belting teams by as far as John Daly used to belt them down the fairway (percentage is 1281%, not a typo), although they did get challenged at times against Panthers and BITS before still winning easily. Their winning margins this year have been 136, 177, 239, 197, 90, 49, 261, 194, 181 holding 3 teams scoreless (games 1, 3 and 9) with another 2 games conceding only 7 (games 4 and 8). Last weekend they still dominated despite missing 2 key players and their coach who was with the North Queensland....sorry Cairns invitational team. Panthers comfortable second, BITS 3rd, Brothers 4th having beaten a depleted BITS on Saturday for the first time in 9 years (often in the regular season they'll travel short on players due to work commitments, with 4-6 players doubling up making sure they don't play more than 9 senior games to remain eligible for the 2's finals). Glenmore and Gladstone have traded road wins against each other with the Bulls 3 games and 33% behind 4th. 6 games left with 2 games before a fortnight's break for school holidays (used to be a week).

Yeppoon's 2's are also undefeated but not as dominant (not winning by a hundred just about every week, their winning margins have been 52, 66, 59, 161, 76, 83, 48, 43, 93), Brothers 2nd 3 games behind, Panthers and BITS both a game further back. Glenmore have beaten Gladstone twice but are 3 games and 52% behind 4th.

Panthers and Glenmore as usual leading the pack in the women's with Panthers undefeated, BITS and Brothers (Sisters) trading places in the 4, but only a game ahead of an improving Gladstone (albeit also with a percentage 71% behind 4th) with Yeppoon winless.

Yeppoon and BITS evenly matched in 17's having traded wins against each other. Glenmore are 3rd cobbling together a team most weeks, Panthers 4th by a game and a half having had a draw with Gladstone (their only points for the season). Brothers are 5th.

Panthers yet to lose a game in 15's, Yeppoon not all that far behind them despite having lost to them twice. BITS a game further back, Glenmore 3 games behind with Gladstone and Brothers having traded road wins and seperated by 0.3% (and given Brothers basically have about 10 kids of Under 15 eligibility it would have been like a premiership to win a game).

Brothers yet to lose a game in the Under 13's with 8 wins and a draw against Panthers. BITS a clear second, Yeppoon 3rd with the other 3 teams having had 2 wins and a draw (Gladstone drew with Glenmore, the Suns are in the 4 with a far superior percentage 57% ahead of Panthers who are 22% ahead of Glenmore).

Yeah, no one is going to stop Yeppoon with a 10-0 record. Though funnier things have happened in footy.

Who will play them, well that is obviously between Panthers and BITS but don't write off Brothers just yet. My feeling is Brothers don't have enough fire power up forward to match it with finals intensity. My opinion is Panthers should be their come GF day against Yeppoon but only if their big 3 up forward keep firing. This Saturday's game between BITS and Panthers, is obviously the game of the round.

Not sure what is with the AFLCAP ladder on Sports TG but Panthers win and they go two games clear of BITS.

Can the Swans be stopped, yes but almost mission impossible.

Longish update after the 1st semi final at Gladstone on the weekend

UNDER 13's: Yeppoon eliminated Gladstone, they now face the loser of Brothers vs BITS in the prelim. BITS are the only team to beat Brothers this year by 9 goals at Boyne Island a couple of weeks ago
UNDER 15's: BITS prevailed over Glenmore, next opponent will be either Panthers or Yeppoon. Like in the 13's the Swans are the only team to beat Panthers at fortnight ago at the Cricket Ground by 14 points, although Panthers' 2 wins have been by 139 and 78 points.
UNDER 17's: Glenmore held too many guns for Brothers who lost a couple of key players to injury early in the game (one of whom was transported to a Brisbane hospital for emergency dental work). They'll next take on either Yeppoon or BITS in the prelim. The Saints won their first encounter in Yeppoon to open the season by 34 points, but Yeppoon have won the next 2 clashes by 2 goals and (4 weeks ago) by 7 points.
RESERVES: BITS too classy for Panthers in a game that was basically all over by Half Time. Next assignment is either Yeppoon or Brothers. The Swans have won all 3 times against the Roos in this grade by 11, 8 and 6 goals (the last encounter was basically set up by a 2nd quarter blitz).
SENIORS: Brothers caused a boilover beating BITS by 3 points. Ill discipline cost BITS giving away at least 3 goals through 50m penalties (one of those being 100m) and even having a water boy sent off. The win earns the Roos a home preliminary final (there's a bidding system in place for these finals rather than anyone being handed games through qualification) more than likely against Panthers who face Yeppoon for the 4th time this year. The 3 previous Swan wins against the 2nd placed Panthers have been by 15 goals, 28 goals (which almost equalled the number of Swan players and officials who did the Freeze MND slide post game) and 92 points just a fortnight ago, and in 15 games the Swans have conceded 195 points TOTAL and have the top 5 individual goalkickers in the competition (admittedly Panthers do have 3 of the next 5).
WOMENS: Brothers (Sisters) found a way to score 2 late goals to upset BITS. They next meet the vanquished from the Panthers vs Glenmore clash. Panthers have been unbeaten this year, beating the Bullettes by 43 points both times at Glenmore sandwiching a 23 point home win.

With this business creating a major interruption, I guess it's time to update the situation. Training for everyone looks as though it is resuming this week, though some youth and women's teams appear to be training on different days or venues to ensure the limits aren't breached. From what I know.....

- Season due to commence JULY 11
- 10 Game season, everyone plays each other twice (once home, once away, don't have a draw released but imagine either the first or last 5 games would be deleted from the original fixture released)
- EVERYONE makes finals, week 1 sees 3v6 and 4v5, week 2 has 1 playing the winner of 4v5 and 2 playing the winner of 3v6
- GRAND FINAL 3 OCTOBER (if cricket secures venues for that weekend either Glenmore or Yeppoon can still host)
- Quarters reduced to 17 PLUS TIME ON for seniors and straight 17 for reserves.
- Last touch rule applies for youth and women's grades (that was confirmed prior to COVID)

What I'm still waiting to hear is format given normally there are 6 games per day played. It could mean youth games (13.5/15.5/17.5) may be played on Sunday or even on Friday Nights if they're from the same region with suitable lights (pending what happens with the 7's/9's and 11's, their schedule remains unknown but Auskick won't start until Term 3 in any case). Just how that affects the traveling clubs (Rocky Clubs/Yeppoon have to make 2 trips to Port Curtis region, Pt.C clubs make 4 trips to Rocky/Yeppoon) I'm sure is a big issue. Of course there's a chance that restrictions could well be looser than indicated by the time July comes around, which as we know depends on what happens post the protests in Brisbane.

I've also done the COVID online course in case they want me to act as a COVID officer, pretty easy to click through and answer a few questions properly. Reckon if this thing is going to work several people will need to act in this capacity to spread the load.

How's the feeling round the grounds Mick..do you get a sense that all are keen to get going/any giving thought to pulling the pin for this year?

How's the feeling round the grounds Mick..do you get a sense that all are keen to get going/any giving thought to pulling the pin for this year?

Feeling is every club is keen to continue although some may not be able to field youth teams in some age groups through lack of numbers and if they did field teams they would have been reliant on players in younger age groups playing a second game for the day to get the 14 required for an official match (which would have been an issue regardless). Youth teams may get a boost with the club rugby league competition being curtailed to provide numbers and avoid clashes, but that may be in anticipation for schoolboys rugby league to start in term 3 rather than not wanting to continue. I'll be able to report back tomorrow on how it may look like in a practical sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back