Toast Captain Cogs! GIANTS’ fourth captain - and first standalone captain

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
The GIANTS have ushered in a new era with Stephen Coniglio today named AFL captain. Coniglio, vice-captain since 2017, is the GIANTS’ first standalone captain in club history after Phil Davis and Callan Ward completed a captaincy handover in recent weeks. Coniglio is also just the fourth GIANTS player to take on the captaincy after Davis, Ward and inaugural co-captain Luke Power. Davis and Ward said Coniglio’s appointment marked an exciting new chapter for the AFL’s youngest club. “This is something both Cal and I have thought a great deal about,” Davis said. “We believe the time is right for a new leader to take our club into the next phase.

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If I may intrude, just wanted to congratulate you guys on the new captain. I've always thought Phil Davis and cal ward were arguably the best captains in the competition so it's no small compliment to say it seems you've got a worthy successor in cogs. Looking forward to seeing how he and your club grow together in the coming year

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well done and thank you to Cal & Phil for your inspirational leadership over the first 8 years of the club's life. I doubt that we could have had anyone more worthy to be our early leaders.

To Cogs, congratulations for your achievement, and very fitting as one of our first draftees to lead our club into the next phase - hopefully one of fulfilled promises. Look forward to next season, exciting times ahead for GWS. :thumbsu: :rainbow:

I think Cognilo will be an amazing captain. He is a natural leader.
I think the strong culture and success of the Giants has a lot to do with the leadership of Phil and Cal. Especially in the early days when we were getting pumped.
I hope Cal and Phil called it, because they have earned the role as long as they want it. I doubt they have been pushed, and certainly hope that they weren't.
Looking forward to the new era.

Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Exciting times. Phil and Callan have been outstanding, taking this club from very humble beginnings to what we know it to be today. Under Cogs' leadership, hopefully we can continue with the strength we've seen in recent years both on and off the field. A great choice as captain, Cogs is a great role model (not that Phil and Cal weren't mind you!)

Big Stinky Monk

All Australian
Aug 26, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
A little suprised by Davis and Ward stepping aside as they have been exceptional leaders for us and have been one of the keys to our success in establishing this club.

In saying that though, Cogs is the perfect person to pick up where they left off. He's a lead by example type player on the field and the soldiers will absolutely follow. But hes also been a great off field leader with our club from the beginning as well.

Stand tall - Go Giants!

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Gotta say that I’m really disappointed with ABC NewsRadio and their “coverage” of the change in captaincy this morning.

Former GWS co-captain Callan Ward has said he is grateful to the club for giving him the opportunity to be captain, but after a humiliating 89 point thrashing in this year’s grand final the club has decided to go in a different direction” and then they played the grab of Cal saying he was grateful for the club giving a young 21 year old the responsibility even though “we didn’t really know anything at the time”

Sacked as captain because of the GF performance? Not the way I would have framed it.

No mention of who the new captain is btw.

As I said, disappointing.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Gotta say that I’m really disappointed with ABC NewsRadio and their “coverage” of the change in captaincy this morning.

Former GWS co-captain Callan Ward has said he is grateful to the club for giving him the opportunity to be captain, but after a humiliating 89 point thrashing in this year’s grand final the club has decided to go in a different direction” and then they played the grab of Cal saying he was grateful for the club giving a young 21 year old the responsibility even though “we didn’t really know anything at the time”

Sacked as captain because of the GF performance? Not the way I would have framed it.

No mention of who the new captain is btw.

As I said, disappointing.
That being said, I don't think there would be a change in leadership had there been better team GF performance. You would have to think that showing would have been a factor in the changing of the guard.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
That being said, I don't think there would be a change in leadership had there been better team GF performance. You would have to think that showing would have been a factor in the changing of the guard.
Do you really think that? That the result prompted the change?

I don't know if i really agree with that

Last edited:

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Now just watch the conspiracies fly.
Was waiting for that....

Already started at work so hate to imagine everywhere else

Reel them in with the AFL payments with GWS now for multi-cultural ambassador and now apart of competition committee, MLC and whatever else they want to add onto the list...lol

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Really nice article in yesterday's Age by Andrew Wu.
Headed 'Coniglio tells fans to lay off Greene', Coggers goes into bat for his teammate.
His comments are heartfelt and forthright. Cogs tells it how it is. It's a great captains call, sticking up for his team.

And to his credit, the reporter doesn't offer his opinion to go 'yeah but', just reports it straight when Cogs calls out all the creeps.

Back