Strategy Captain Dawson

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I know he's not in the current leadership group but for me he's the best option to take over from Sloane.

Will Sloane give it up after this season? Hopefully. Needs to put 100% of his focus on his rehab and his own game. Chances are he'll struggle to a degree next season even if recovery goes well. Not ideal for your captain to be fighting his own internal battles. Sloane putting his own game first would actually be the unselfish option.

Doedee perhaps has been seen as captain in waiting for a while. I think he'd be ok. Not the most dominant presence out on the ground though. Keays another in our leadership group who's going well and might be an option. A real goer who lacks a bit of polish - more a vc type for mine.

With Dawson:
Touch of class
Dominant player, respected across competition
Speaks well, mature
Directs team mates on field
Has experienced being part of a strong culture
Gets used wherever the team most needs him - always in the thick of the action
Right age bracket

It would perhaps be viewed as a negative if an "outsider" leapfrogs the whole leadership group to take the reins. But that's the reality - we've been poor for a while and one of the products of being poor is that we haven't developed our own standout leaders.

Should we do it? Will we do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know he's not in the current leadership group but for me he's the best option to take over from Sloane.

Will Sloane give it up after this season? Hopefully. Needs to put 100% of his focus on his rehab and his own game. Chances are he'll struggle to a degree next season even if recovery goes well. Not ideal for your captain to be fighting his own internal battles. Sloane putting his own game first would actually be the unselfish option.

Doedee perhaps has been seen as captain in waiting for a while. I think he'd be ok. Not the most dominant presence out on the ground though. Keays another in our leadership group who's going well and might be an option. A real goer who lacks a bit of polish - more a vc type for mine.

With Dawson:
Touch of class
Speaks well, mature
Right age bracket

It would perhaps be viewed as a negative if an "outsider" leapfrogs the whole leadership group to take the reins. But that's the reality - we've been poor for a while and one of the products of being poor is that we haven't developed our own standout leaders.

sloane won't be giving it up, so we've got a year and a half to work it out.

I like it although I like Captain Horne-Francis more.

Dawson would make a great captain and certainly leads by example.

Don’t mind it at all. Happy to give it to him or Keays

I agree that a captain definitely needs to be a player with a relatively high level of presence. It’s why Sloane as captain has felt a bit off, we gave it to him past his prime. For that reason, someone like Doedee isn’t my preferred option

Whether Dawson wants it or not is another question, though

change is needed now, we need to force Sloane to give it up. Therefore Dawson will have a year or 2 with Walker out there who can help him with the transition. The good thing about Dawson is that he doesn’t need to focus on improving or get into form as he is in top form and always at the top of his game.

Can’t say there are many players at our club that I have confidence in choosing the right decision and executing it. He and Walker are about it. Keays has been good but sometimes you can’t trust his kicking or decision making.

All about the Dawson train

It’s a bloody good idea.

I’ve had Doedee marked as the obvious next captain for a while but he’s hasn’t really improved as a player since 2018 and he does dumb, lazy things - like laughing with the umpire on Saturday instead of getting up and standing the mark, which let his opponent (Jamie Cripps?) run forward without pressure and create an Eagles goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Dawson:
Touch of class
Speaks well, mature
Right age bracket

Very good drugs you be on today Mackay!

You're very close to the most sensible and persuasive post of the year.

Well done. Strongly agree.

Keays for captain. Let Dawson do his thing without the added pressure of captaincy.
In that case just leave it with Sloane. Don't want to add pressure to Benny...or anyone else.

I watched the Carlton game live and noticed it was Dawson who mentored Billy when he was getting a bath by Curnow. Intrinsic leadership on display.

Daws looks like a good thinker too. I can see players drawn to him. Confident looking guy who appears calm and measured. He has a quiet demeanor for sure, but that's strength, not a weakness in my view.

The concept of bigger personalities as deputies is good as is using Tex while he's there.

Dawson is our best player who shows everything you could wish for as a footballer, not only highly skilled but great footy brain, constantly directing players on field.

I'm on board IF Dawson wants to be an official leader as Sloane is done and the deputies are meh

Should we do it?
Maybe
Will we do it?
Also maybe. But the opposite of whatever the correct answer to the previous question was.

He's possibly the best option for a captain under Nicks. But the Crows under Nicks are not good, and there's no guarantee they won't get worse. The wooden spoon/Brownlow combo is a very real possibility in the future for Dawson. It only sets things up for future culture clashes IMHO.

With all respect, well done Rory. You've been outstanding as a player and leader. Great job!

You've passed the captaincy onto someone worthy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back