austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I don't know if it's kosher for me to go so early, but since I can't imagine any of the draftees have a significant impact on the season, I thought I'd invite you all to channel your inner Nostradami and commit to some predictions for the coming season for the entire AFL, in as much or as little detail as you feel right.

I'll start:

2020 ladder post finals

Richmond
Bulldogs
West Coast
Geelong
Collingwood
Brisbane
Hawthorn
St Kilda

GWS
Carlton
North Melbourne
Melbourne
Port Adelaide
GCS
Essendon
Sydney
Adelaide
Fremantle

Individual honours:
Brownlow: Marcus Bontempelli
Norm Smith: Dion Prestia
Coleman: Tom J. Lynch
Rising Star: Max King

Sacked coaches:
Worsfold, Hinkley, L Cameron, Clarkson (resigned), Longmire (resigned)

Media darlings:
Damian Hardwick
Tim Kelly
Western Bulldogs
Patrick Cripps
Eddie Betts
St Kilda
Isaac Rankine

Media demons:
John Worsfold
Adelaide Crows
Fremantle Dockers
Christian Petracca
Scott Goodwin
Orazio Fantasia

Big talking points:
Concussion preventative measures:
At Paddy McCartin's mid-season retirement announcement, he will use this opportunity to publicise the association he is involved with, dedicated to helping the victims of concussion in sport to kick on post retirement, and to research preventative measures, which will kick off huge discussions within the media and at AFL house, where they consider bringing in an extended interchange to include concussion substitutes.
Academy Zones:
Many teams query the reasons for the divvying up of the country into NGA Academy areas and the map may get redrawn, with the aid of outside AFL expertise.
Expansion teams:
Team Tassie will hit the AFL media hard next year, and the media will ponder other expansion areas, existing teams ripe for a relocation and so on.
Clarkson's big payday:
GWS make a godfather offer to Alistair Clarkson to replace Leon Cameron at the completion of the finals series, which he accepts, leaving Sam Mitchell as head coach of Hawthorn.

Saints watch:
We will lose 2 of the first 4, but then go on a hot 10 game winning streak, culminating in the absolute annihilation of Port Adelaide in Shanghai, to the point that Kane Cornes gets sacked for accusing the St Kilda camp of having the Port Adelaide's players' food poisoned. The Saints reach finals at the last minute, beating a dire Fremantle to leapfrog GWS into the 8. Sadly our series ends in the first week, getting torched by minor premier Richmond. King and Bytel will play for 12-14 games for the season each, and provide plenty of promise, winning a Rising Star nomination each, Max King ultimately winning the award. Brad Hill and Jack Billings to light up the wings. Hunter Clarke will stake a claim for elite status in the midfield. Jack Billings to finish the year by winning his first Trevor Barker award. Dan Hannebury and Zac Jones to become a lock in the centre, an entirely revamped delivery style into the forward line, Josh Battle to excel as the new key forward, Paddy Ryder to play a handful of games, mostly up front. Josh Battle, Matt Parker, Jade Gresham and Tim Membrey to duke it out for Saints leading goalkicker. St Kilda to win many fans in the media for a well-balanced list featuring a young hungry unheralded and cohesive team albeit one still missing an out and out star in the midfield. Nick Coffield and Dougal Howard to enter the leadership group. Dan Hannebury to take over captaincy from Jarryn Geary. Geary and Roberton to take on part-time coaching roles. Best Saints recruits will be David Rath and Sean Dempster.

Saints ins and outs:
Out:

Ross (traded to GCS/Essendon for a late first round pick), Carlisle (traded to Port/Collingwood for a late second round pick), Austin (delisted), Phillips (delisted), Langlands (delisted), Brown (retired)
In:
Brad Crouch for the Ross pick, Zac Williams for a future first and the Carlisle pick, 4 draftees

Ex-Saint watch:
Josh Bruce will compete for the Coleman and provide an excellent foil for Naughton/Schake, but will ultimately cost his team at some vital moments.
Jack Steven will play well for the first half of the year, but will find himself under the blowtorch and underrated in a way he never was at the Saints and will retire after the finals.
Blake Acres will bed into his wing position really well, but be mercilessly harangued by a bemused Docker crowd used to the speed of Langdon and Hill, and as losses mount may find himself thrown up forward now and then.
Jack Newnes will perform as advertised, (a consistent GOP), his hot 2016 form well behind him, and will be a useful member of Carlton's half back line.

I couldn't bring myself to be the foreboder of doom with any Saints players, hope I didn't jinx anyone! Ah it's just a bit of fun, I'm looking forward to reading this in about 11 months and seeing how wrong I ended up being.

Last edited:
Saints 11th. 9 to 11 wins. Best player. Billings. Flag. Tigers. We will work out we have should only one ruck playing. We will also work out our inside mids are still not good enough and if they were better we would have made the 8. Leading goal kicker. Still members. New players on order of how they went. Hill. Howard. Jones. Ryder and butler mainly seconds.

Ladder after R22

1. Richmond
2. West Coast
3. Bulldogs
4. GWS
5. Collingwood
6. Brisbane
7. Geelong
8. Saints

9. Essendon
10. Hawthorn
11. Sydney
12. Melbourne
13. Carlton
14. Port
15. Fremantle
16. North
17. Crows
18. GC

Coleman: Franklin
Brownlow: Cripps
Flag: Eagles
Saints BnF: Steele

Saints 11th. 9 to 11 wins. Best player. Billings. Flag. Tigers. We will work out we have should only one ruck playing. We will also work out our inside mids are still not good enough and if they were better we would have made the 8. Leading goal kicker. Still members. New players on order of how they went. Hill. Howard. Jones. Ryder and butler mainly seconds.

I'm thinking King is as good as a new player too. I'm hoping to god he's as good as we imagine.

Ladder after R22

1. Richmond
2. West Coast
3. Bulldogs
4. GWS
5. Collingwood
6. Brisbane
7. Geelong
8. Saints

9. Essendon
10. Hawthorn
11. Sydney
12. Melbourne
13. Carlton
14. Port
15. Fremantle
16. North
17. Crows
18. GC

Coleman: Franklin
Brownlow: Cripps
Flag: Eagles
Saints BnF: Steele

Sydney and Freo will be pretty uncompetitive, they are both weakened. Crows still have a few older guys and will be s**t but not as s**t as people imagine yet. Brisbane were lucky with injury but are vulnerable. Essendon have or make finals or they will blow up the joint. Melbourne surely jump again with their list more intact. Interesting season coming up.

I'm thinking King is as good as a new player too. I'm hoping to god he's as good as we imagine.

King, Bytel, Clavarino, all new players.
Coffield and Langlands to an extent too as they haven’t played as much as Clark.
When you see all these names it makes absolute sense that we didn’t just go for more kids in the draft.

Last edited:
Sydney and Freo will be pretty uncompetitive, they are both weakened. Crows still have a few older guys and will be s**t but not as s**t as people imagine yet. Brisbane were lucky with injury but are vulnerable. Essendon have or make finals or they will blow up the joint. Melbourne surely jump again with their list more intact. Interesting season coming up.
Sydney actually fielded a very young and inexperienced side last year that not many people realise. Heeney/Blakely/Mills/McCartin/Dawson/Papley/Florent Hayward etc. Buddy didn't play much and they still have a very strong core in Parker/Rampe/Lloyd etc.

Freo beat pretty much every top 8 team from this year. They turned to s**t once all the talks started falling over. Losing Hill and Langdon will be big, but it if they get the talls not being injured they will be around the same.

Crows are cooked, players too old without any excitement coming through. Add in a new coach and game plan and it's a slippery slope for them.

Not sold on Melbourne due to them being as mentally weak team as there has been over the last 20 years. Bombers will be Meh and a lot will depend on Daniher if he can fire or not. Brisbane are interesting as i think teams will put a hell of a lot more work into them. They surprised most this season. Wont be as easy.

Ladder after R22

1. West Coast
2. Richmond
3. Bulldogs
4. GWS
5. Hawthorn
6. Brisbane
7. Carlton
8. Collingwood

9. Geelong
10.Saints
11. North
12. Melbourne
13. Fremantle
14. Port
15. Essendon
16. GC
17. Sydney
18. Crows

Coleman: Lynch
Brownlow: Dusty Martin
G/F : Richmond vs WCE
Flag: WCE
Norm Smith : Tim Kelly
Saints BnF: 1. Hannas 2. Marshall 3. Steele

Feel good Story : Roberton returns - Robbo makes a return to senior footy much to the joy and delight of St Kilda fans and players
Downer story : AFL betting scandal claims more players - Government investigators look deeper into the systematic infiltration of sports betting among players prompting the AFL to call that AFL players are infact dumbarses ..

Media Villan : John Worsfold put to the flame after Daniher breaks down again
Media Darling : WCE after a dominant season WCE storm to an impressive flag win over the tigers with Josh Kennedy finishing up footy with a 5 goal bag

FLAG: West Coast - if they do not win with the midfield they have assembled should be a stewards inquiry.
SPOON: Fremantle
BROWNLOW: Yeo
COLEMAN: Cameron
NORM SMITH: Yeo
RISING STAR: Rowell
SAINTS BF: Hill
SAINTS: Will start well but fade. By mid season supporters will be bemoaning lack of draft picks. 10th.

Saints win the first five games then stagger through the long hard grind picking up a few games then after injuries and wear and tear take their toll, re emerge with the last five wins of the season....giving us about 12 or so wins ..still finding us making up the numbers. BUT belief is germinating and begins to pave the way for wonders to come. Its a neat bookended season which tends to fudge the reality belying the fact that we need yet more elite talent.....always more...

However names like Bytel and Mayo will show their future worth and quality.
Unfortunately KING may appear to be the dud we all dread thinking about.. perseverance versus the history of big name nubies that is the question late in 2020 the year of the rat.

The Womens Team will out perform the Mens by miles......AND G.PATRIKIOS of the SAINTS will win the Brownlow Equivalent MVP..

Last edited:
Nuts on the line time is it?

Saints 2020:
Biggest improvers: Gresh & Clarke. Will become the clubs two best players by the end of the year
Leadership: Hanners will become the clubs obvious on field 'leader.' Dunstan to also step up
Best import: Hill by the length of Flemington straight. Ryder also to be a real surprise
Best moment(s): King will kick at least one bag. We will also learn how to play Marvel stadium well again
Worst moment: Will get flogged in China again
Biggest disappointments: Coffield & Long. Neither will establish themselves in 2020

Overall finish: 9th-12th. 10-11 wins. 94-102%
Top 5 B+F: Gresh, Hill, Hanners, Billings & Clarke
Overall 2020 impression: Solid foundations laid for the future. More consistent performances. Limited blowouts (mostly). Ready for finals 2021 ...

The rest:
Improver: Sydney. Will push for the 8 despite consistently fielding one of the AFL's youngest sides
Brownlow: Lachie Whitfield
Business as usual: Carlton will get hyped up like they do every year. They will continue to be garbage. Ditto Essendon. No winning final yet again!
Slider: Brisbane. 7th-10th
Biggest disappointment: Tim Kelly. Will discover football is a lot harder when not riding stotgun to Danger, Selwood & Ablett. Des Headland MK2

Spoon: GC. But will be better then people think. One bad injury and the Roos will seriously challenge them.
Premier: GWS. Ward back is huge. Would had said this with a lot more confidence if they had pulled the trigger on Cameron though..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood
West Coast
Greater Western Sydney
Brisbane
Richmond
Western
Geelong
Carlton

Hawthorn
North Melbourne
Essendon
Port Adelaide
Melbourne
Adelaide
St Kilda
Fremantle
Gold Coast
Sydney

I don't know if it's kosher for me to go so early, but since I can't imagine any of the draftees have a significant impact on the season, I thought I'd invite you all to channel your inner Nostradami and commit to some predictions for the coming season for the entire AFL, in as much or as little detail as you feel right.

I'll start:

2020 ladder post finals

Richmond
Bulldogs
West Coast
Geelong
Collingwood
Brisbane
Hawthorn
St Kilda

GWS
Carlton
North Melbourne
Melbourne
Port Adelaide
GCS
Essendon
Sydney
Adelaide
Fremantle

Individual honours:
Brownlow: Marcus Bontempelli
Norm Smith: Dion Prestia
Coleman: Tom J. Lynch
Rising Star: Max King

Sacked coaches:
Worsfold, Hinkley, L Cameron, Clarkson (resigned), Longmire (resigned)

Media darlings:
Damian Hardwick
Tim Kelly
Western Bulldogs
Patrick Cripps
Eddie Betts
St Kilda
Isaac Rankine

Media demons:
John Worsfold
Adelaide Crows
Fremantle Dockers
Christian Petracca
Scott Goodwin
Orazio Fantasia

Big talking points:
Concussion preventative measures:
At Paddy McCartin's mid-season retirement announcement, he will use this opportunity to publicise the association he is involved with, dedicated to helping the victims of concussion in sport to kick on post retirement, and to research preventative measures, which will kick off huge discussions within the media and at AFL house, where they consider bringing in an extended interchange to include concussion substitutes.
Academy Zones:
Many teams query the reasons for the divvying up of the country into NGA Academy areas and the map may get redrawn, with the aid of outside AFL expertise.
Expansion teams:
Team Tassie will hit the AFL media hard next year, and the media will ponder other expansion areas, existing teams ripe for a relocation and so on.
Clarkson's big payday:
GWS make a godfather offer to Alistair Clarkson to replace Leon Cameron at the completion of the finals series, which he accepts, leaving Sam Mitchell as head coach of Hawthorn.

Saints watch:
We will lose 2 of the first 4, but then go on a hot 10 game winning streak, culminating in the absolute annihilation of Port Adelaide in Shanghai, to the point that Kane Cornes gets sacked for accusing the St Kilda camp of having the Port Adelaide's players' food poisoned. The Saints reach finals at the last minute, beating a dire Fremantle to leapfrog GWS into the 8. Sadly our series ends in the first week, getting torched by minor premier Richmond. King and Bytel will play for 12-14 games for the season each, and provide plenty of promise, winning a Rising Star nomination each, Max King ultimately winning the award. Brad Hill and Jack Billings to light up the wings. Hunter Clarke will stake a claim for elite status in the midfield. Jack Billings to finish the year by winning his first Trevor Barker award. Dan Hannebury and Zac Jones to become a lock in the centre, an entirely revamped delivery style into the forward line, Josh Battle to excel as the new key forward, Paddy Ryder to play a handful of games, mostly up front. Josh Battle, Matt Parker, Jade Gresham and Tim Membrey to duke it out for Saints leading goalkicker. St Kilda to win many fans in the media for a well-balanced list featuring a young hungry unheralded and cohesive team albeit one still missing an out and out star in the midfield. Nick Coffield and Dougal Howard to enter the leadership group. Dan Hannebury to take over captaincy from Jarryn Geary. Geary and Roberton to take on part-time coaching roles. Best Saints recruits will be David Rath and Sean Dempster.

Saints ins and outs:
Out:

Ross (traded to GCS/Essendon for a late first round pick), Carlisle (traded to Port/Collingwood for a late second round pick), Austin (delisted), Phillips (delisted), Langlands (delisted), Brown (retired)
In:
Brad Crouch for the Ross pick, Zac Williams for a future first and the Carlisle pick, 4 draftees

Ex-Saint watch:
Josh Bruce will compete for the Coleman and provide an excellent foil for Naughton/Schake, but will ultimately cost his team at some vital moments.
Jack Steven will play well for the first half of the year, but will find himself under the blowtorch and underrated in a way he never was at the Saints and will retire after the finals.
Blake Acres will bed into his wing position really well, but be mercilessly harangued by a bemused Docker crowd used to the speed of Langdon and Hill, and as losses mount may find himself thrown up forward now and then.
Jack Newnes will perform as advertised, (a consistent GOP), his hot 2016 form well behind him, and will be a useful member of Carlton's half back line.

I couldn't bring myself to be the foreboder of doom with any Saints players, hope I didn't jinx anyone! Ah it's just a bit of fun, I'm looking forward to reading this in about 11 months and seeing how wrong I ended up being.
Great thread and I'll need to ponder... but is a change in finals system on the cards as part of your predictions?

FLAG: GWS
NORM.SMITH: Steven Coniglio
SPOON: Gold Coast

BROWNLOW: Jackson McRae
COLEMAN: Tom Lynch (Rich)

RISING STAR: Max King
SAINTS BF: Marshall

LADDER:
1. West Coast
2. GWS
3. Richmond
4. Collingwood
5. Western Bulldogs
6. Brisbane
7. St Kilda
8. Geelong
9. Port Adelaide
10. Essendon
11. Melbourne
12. Hawthorn
13. Adelaide
14. Carlton
15. North Melbourne
16. Sydney
17. Fremantle
18. Gold Coast

Last edited:
LADDER:
1. West Coast
2. GWS
3. Richmond
4. Collingwood
5. Western Bulldogs
6. Brisbane
7. St Kilda
8. Geelong
9. Port Adelaide
10. Essendon
11. Melbourne
12. Hawthorn
13. Adelaide
14. Sydney
15. Fremantle
16. Gold Coast
Kicking 2 teams out of the comp in 2020? Carlton I understand for crimes against football. Harsh on North though ...

Kicking 2 teams out of the comp in 2020? Carlton I understand for crimes against football. Harsh on North though ...
And yet I'm not against the idea. Both clubs would hope it doesn't get to a referendum, Brexit style.

Great thread and I'll need to ponder... but is a change in finals system on the cards as part of your predictions?
Ah, of course! I'm such a dumbass. It's not 1st v 8th, 2nd v 7th etc anymore is it?

Excuse me, I'm going to get a quick education...

...ah right, 1st v 4th, 5th v 8th. I still think our team is too young and inexperienced in finals to give much of an account of ourselves in September, I also think we'll be limping in there by that stage, relying on our great results earlier in the year. Got to start somewhere though, and I'd say most supporters will finish the season satisfied with the club's direction, and will expecting big things in 2021.

Biggest disappointment: Tim Kelly. Will discover football is a lot harder when not riding stotgun to Danger, Selwood & Ablett. Des Headland MK2
had he gone to Freo yes but leaving behind Danger Selwood and Ablett to join Shuey, Gaff, Yeo with Nic Nat placing it laces out into his hands every stoppage he will think this footy caper is easy as fishing with a hand grenade ... plus every second game infront of a 90% WCE supporting crowd influencing every 50/50 call he will be dancing a merry jig he got to the WCE

FLAG: West Coast - if they do not win with the midfield they have assembled should be a stewards inquiry.
gotta agree WCE have easily the most formidible line up in the comp in 2020 ... on paper they beat everyone ... if that translates the same on feild is the question ....
im dreading it already the WCE supporters here in WA are arrogant enough having them be the dominant team again urrrghhhh

Flag: GWS (narrow win over Richmond)
Brownlow: Fyfe again
Coleman: Membrey
Saint B&F: Hanners
Saints ladder pos: 8th or Ratts goes
Breakout seasons: Clark and Coffs
Freak one off performance: Parker 8 goals against WB at Marvel (then back in the VFL two weeks later)
Spoon: Sydney

Flag: GWS (narrow win over Richmond)
Brownlow: Fyfe again
Coleman: Membrey
Saint B&F: Hanners
Saints ladder pos: 8th or Ratts goes
Breakout seasons: Clark and Coffs
Freak one off performance: Parker 8 goals against WB at Marvel (then back in the VFL two weeks later)
Spoon: Sydney
ill call it now Parker will take mark of the year this year ... he will also have extended stints in the VFL
Max Kings first goal will be turned in to a gif and it will be the most played gif in the saints section of BF
Rowan Marshall will have a story written about him saying how big an impact Ryder has been for his career
Josh Bruce will cop critisim for being "overly friendly" with the saints boys after the saints beat the dog in a big upset
Max King Vs Ben King in the Grandfinal sprint will be spoken about all 2020 off season
with no Big Boy or the Boy from Lorne BT will ask why he is even calling a St Kilda match

Remove this Banner Ad

Back