Prediction Captain Foresight: Predictions for AFL season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit disappointed I didn't predict a global pandemic shortening the season and eliminating all live audiences from games, but at least I picked that Josh Bruce would "ultimately cost his team at some vital moments."

Did you make any suggestions about Jack Newnes carrying the Blues over the line?

Premier - Richmond - They have the system, the have the players. Going to take a team changing how footy is played to beat them.

Runner Up - Geelong - Last chance saloon for the Cats. I really like the haul they got for Kelly though so the rebuild wont take long once Selwood, Dangerfield, Ablett, Taylor and Hawkins are gone.

Norm Smith - Bachar Houli - Finally.

Brownlow - Tim Kelly - Has been a machine, even with the pressure from family to get home. Now that pressure is gone he will go to another level.

Coleman - Jeremy Cameron - At the peak of his powers and the Giants will still be playing great footy.

St Kilda finish - 8th - We have the list and the draw to play finals. All on the coach and how he gets them rolling now.

St Kilda leading goal scorer - Tim Membrey - The #1 man now.

St Kilda BnF - Brad Hill - Is a fave of Ratts and will justify the trade. Get excited!

Rising Star - Pick 17, Jack Mahony, St Kilda - After swapping our 2020 1st for pick 17 and the Cats 2020 1st we nab the Sandy Dragon who happens to be the best kick in the draft. Leads the league in score assists.

Wooden Spoon - Gold Coast - It's hard to see how they win more than 3-4 games in a season.
I think you might be 2020’s Captain Foresight, L_W_P, just by dint of even getting the grand final right! Congratulations!

Even so, no one did that well: are we all terrible judges or did our footy sense get thrown off by the Covid changes?

I'd like to think COVID cost me a shot at perfection there.

Might as well get 2021 on the board -

Premier - Brisbane - 2021 is when they finally push back through.

Runner Up - Geelong - I said 2020 was the last shot. Cameron gives them one more.

Norm Smith - Joe Daniher - Will only play 10-12 games but they will be at the right time.

Brownlow - Jack Steele - With the improvement form the rest of the team he will go to yet another level.

Coleman - Jeremy Cameron - Cats will feed him plenty. Back to 70+ goals.

St Kilda finish - 4th - Natural improvement and a half decent draw should see us keep pushing up. Comp knows we can play now though.

St Kilda leading goal scorer - Max King - Will get up the ground and be even more impressive on the move.

St Kilda BnF - Jack Steele - Back to back for Cap'n Jack.

Rising Star - Matt Rowell - I mean... duh. Kid is a beast.

Wooden Spoon - North Melbourne - Possible relocation to Tassie incoming.

I'd like to think COVID cost me a shot at perfection there.

Might as well get 2021 on the board -

Premier - Brisbane - 2021 is when they finally push back through.

Runner Up - Geelong - I said 2020 was the last shot. Cameron gives them one more.

Norm Smith - Joe Daniher - Will only play 10-12 games but they will be at the right time.

Brownlow - Jack Steele - With the improvement form the rest of the team he will go to yet another level.

Coleman - Jeremy Cameron - Cats will feed him plenty. Back to 70+ goals.

St Kilda finish - 4th - Natural improvement and a half decent draw should see us keep pushing up. Comp knows we can play now though.

St Kilda leading goal scorer - Max King - Will get up the ground and be even more impressive on the move.

St Kilda BnF - Jack Steele - Back to back for Cap'n Jack.

Rising Star - Matt Rowell - I mean... duh. Kid is a beast.

Wooden Spoon - North Melbourne - Possible relocation to Tassie incoming.
Unfortunately our fixture will Be in the top 6th hardest based on this year and could actually be the hardest. 6 to one chance of that.

Unfortunately our fixture will Be in the top 6th hardest based on this year and could actually be the hardest. 6 to one chance of that.

Assuming 22 rounds I think we would be fine with doubles against anyone except West Coast and Geelong.

No reason we can't split games with any of the other top 12 teams at the very least. I'd love to avoid a trip to Geelong or Perth but I think we will cop at least one, if not both, and a return game would be tough as well.

Eagles at Etihad could be winnable though.

We were super close this year. Add in Crouch, Gresh and another preseason and I think we can push to the top 4.

Assuming 22 rounds I think we would be fine with doubles against anyone except West Coast and Geelong.

No reason we can't split games with any of the other top 12 teams at the very least. I'd love to avoid a trip to Geelong or Perth but I think we will cop at least one, if not both, and a return game would be tough as well.

We were super close this year. Add in Crouch, Gresh and another preseason and I think we can push to the top 4.
Maybe maybe not. Just explaining we play at least 2 of the top 6 this year and could be 3

Maybe maybe not. Just explaining we play at least 2 of the top 6 this year and could be 3

Playing Port in SA and probably on a neutral territory also hurts.

I don't get why everyone is just assuming the AFL will be back to normal next season. The COVID19 threat is set to continue for another 12_18 months and I would be staggered if there isn't a significant level of compromise in the 2021 season.

As far as throwing our hat in the Captain Foresight 2021 season goes, I'm going to wait at least til all the trading and delisting is over.

I didn't do too bad really:

I don't know if it's kosher for me to go so early, but since I can't imagine any of the draftees have a significant impact on the season, I thought I'd invite you all to channel your inner Nostradami and commit to some predictions for the coming season for the entire AFL, in as much or as little detail as you feel right.

I'll start:

2020 ladder post finals

Richmond WIN
Bulldogs FAIL
West Coast MORE OR LESS
Geelong MORE OR LESS
Collingwood MORE OR LESS
Brisbane FAIL
Hawthorn FAIL
St Kilda MORE OR LESS

GWS MORE OR LESS
Carlton MORE OR LESS
North Melbourne FAIL
Melbourne MORE OR LESS
Port Adelaide FAIL
GCS WIN
Essendon MORE OR LESS
Sydney WIN
Adelaide MORE OR LESS
Fremantle FAIL

Individual honours:
Brownlow: Marcus Bontempelli FAIL
Norm Smith: Dion Prestia FAIL
Coleman: Tom J. Lynch 6th FAIL
Rising Star: Max King 3rd MORE OR LESS

Sacked coaches:
Worsfold, Hinkley, L Cameron, Clarkson (resigned), Longmire (resigned) FAIL*

Media darlings:
Damian Hardwick WIN
Tim Kelly FAIL
Western Bulldogs FAIL
Patrick Cripps MORE OR LESS
Eddie Betts FAIL
St Kilda WIN
Isaac Rankine WIN

Media demons:
John Worsfold WIN
Adelaide Crows WIN
Fremantle Dockers FAIL
Christian Petracca FAIL
Scott Goodwin FAIL
Orazio Fantasia FAIL

Big talking points:
FAIL

Saints watch:
FAIL

Saints ins and outs:
Out:

Ross (traded to GCS/Essendon for a late first round pick), TBC
Carlisle (traded to Port/Collingwood for a late second round pick), TBC
Phillips (delisted), TBC

Austin (delisted), WIN
Langlands (delisted), WIN
Brown (retired) WIN
In:
Brad Crouch for the Ross pick, TBC
Zac Williams for a future first and the Carlisle pick, 4 draftees FAIL

Ex-Saint watch:
Josh Bruce will compete for the Coleman and provide an excellent foil for Naughton/Schake, but will ultimately cost his team at some vital moments. HALF RIGHT
Jack Steven will play well for the first half of the year, but will find himself under the blowtorch and underrated in a way he never was at the Saints and will retire after the finals. TBC
Blake Acres will bed into his wing position really well, but be mercilessly harangued by a bemused Docker crowd used to the speed of Langdon and Hill, and as losses mount may find himself thrown up forward now and then. HALF RIGHT
Jack Newnes will perform as advertised, (a consistent GOP), his hot 2016 form well behind him, and will be a useful member of Carlton's half back line. MORE OR LESS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why wouldn’t port be in Melbourne. We certainly won’t be playing overseas.

I saw someone suggesting it might be played somewhere to promote the league like Alice Springs as we already sold it to Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back