Opinion Captain Nat Fyfe- 2017 and beyond

I dont believe in karma.
Fair enough. It doesn't make it's presence very obvious. If it did, Gina Rinehart would have choked on a ham sandwich years ago.

Cameron_K

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 23, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Rockets, Astros, Texans
Could have been bullshit from the caller . When was this wedding? Fyfe could have been invited and been away that date. There is a 100 reasons why he didn't make it.

Schwartz said he didn't put it to air until it was confirmed by another source. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of mud being thrown at the club but you have to wonder, where there is smoke.....

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
A lot of successful people are s**t blokes who will tread on anybody to get a step up. I'd like to think that Karma will win out in the end.

Ironically Reg some of those same people cheated in exams using my work; I didn't need to cheat.
I even employed a couple of them later in life.
I wouldn't be surprised if they went to my funeral.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Schwartz said he didn't put it to air until it was confirmed by another source. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of mud being thrown at the club but you have to wonder, where there is smoke.....
Funny thing is all this senior players eg spurr or suban is not elite but footsoldiers type .

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Ironically Reg some of those same people cheated in exams using my work; I didn't need to cheat.
I even employed a couple of them later in life.
I wouldn't be surprised if they went to my funeral.
You are not that old are you ? calling for funeral already.

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm struggling with all this Fyfe rift stuff. On the field and in the media I have only seen very supportive leadership qualities from Fyfe. I've often seen him giving supportive pats on the field and the bench. Blakely publicly commended Fyfe's pep talk during the Essendon win which led to Blakely's rising star nomination. ( http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-06/fyfe-pep-talk-inspires-blakelys-secondhalf-blinder ). I just haven't seen anything to show player angst towards him or vice versa.
I suspect at worse there may be a few that find him prickly and the rest of it has been a beat up by the media and the rivals down the road. Aussies are well renowned sufferers of Tall Poppy Syndrome.
In any case, even if it's not the proper Fremantle process driven way to go about it, I reckon Fyfe should be given the captaincy prior to the start of 2017. If the club needs the players to vote, then let them, but just make sure enough are persuaded to make the result a given.
If Fyfe is not given the captaincy for 2017, I fear he will be tempted away from Freo to a club where he's true worth is fully appreciated.

Dirty_banchez

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I remember last year Garry Lyon saying Fyfe would get some noses out of joint with how hard he trains, and his expectations of others. It seems, like most of the discontent (reportedly) is coming from the older players. Perhaps, some of them feel aggrieved when a younger player starts making demands of them?

Marty Whitelaw

All Australian
Aug 27, 2014
Nedlands
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth Falcons, LA Clippers
I remember last year Garry Lyon saying Fyfe would get some noses out of joint with how hard he trains, and his expectations of others. It seems, like most of the discontent (reportedly) is coming from the older players. Perhaps, some of them feel aggrieved when a younger player starts making demands of them?

It's an interesting one. I think the perception of arrogance or unrealistic expectations is fairly commonly held about some of the out and out champions who also became team leaders. Michael Jordan, Nathan Buckley and Wayne Carey for instance. After the debacle of this season, I want whoever is best placed to lead us to a period of success on the field. As an outsider I'd have said that was Fyfe.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
It's an interesting one. I think the perception of arrogance or unrealistic expectations is fairly commonly held about some of the out and out champions who also became team leaders. Michael Jordan, Nathan Buckley and Wayne Carey for instance. After the debacle of this season, I want whoever is best placed to lead us to a period of success on the field. As an outsider I'd have said that was Fyfe.

We really cant keep going the same way. I am all for someone as Captain that will really drive the group to a better level than this year.

Who cares if he has a little bit of the Nathan Buckley's about him he will mature into the role, he is certainly no dummy.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Interesting all this Fyfe rift stuff given that i've, and i'm sure others have, seen him out on the sauce with another player or two a couple of times (pre-season I should clarify for Haggers in case you are reading you old crumpet head).

Did Sutcliffe and Silvagni not live with him too? I vaguely remember that from that trash Freo members magazine they send.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Interesting all this Fyfe rift stuff given that i've, and i'm sure others have, seen him out on the sauce with another player or two a couple of times (pre-season I should clarify for Haggers in case you are reading you old crumpet head).

Did Sutcliffe and Silvagni not live with him too? I vaguely remember that from that trash Freo members magazine they send.
A friend of mine, who also is a friend of Matt de Boer's, saw Fyfe out at a party (which was at De Boer's house..). So was Zac Clarke and Tendai Mzungu, so it does happen during the season that players head out, after a game even.

Back